• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix confirms series about "Operation Car Wash" with Padilha (Elite Squad, Narcos)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Netflix confirms new original series based on current Brazilian corruption investigation

Directed by José Padilha and written by Elena Soares, the as-yet-titled series will start filming in Brazil later this year and will launch in 2017

São Paulo, April 15th, 2016 – Netflix, the world’s leading Internet television network, announced that filming of its new original series based on recent corruption investigation Operation Car Wash (Lava Jato in Portuguese), will begin this year in Brazil. The yet-to-be-titled series will be created and directed by José Padilha (Narcos, Elite Squad and Robocop), and written by Elena Soares (Xingu, Filhos do Carnaval and Casa de Areia).

“Netflix recognizes José Padilha’s talent in turning fast-moving current events into compelling narratives and he is well placed to document this important time in Brazilian history, “said Erik Barmack, Netflix VP of International Original Content. The series will be the second Netflix original series produced in Brazil, following the dystopian Sci-Fi thriller 3% premiering later this year.

“This project will follow the judicial investigators in their journey to unveil the largest corruption scheme that Brazil has ever witnessed. It was fundamental for the series to be produced in an impartial way, and I have no doubt that Netflix is the best partner for the project,” said Jose Padilha.​

https://media.netflix.com/en/press-...on-current-brazilian-corruption-investigation

This is going to be so good.

Feels weird to get happy about entertainment based on an ongoing situation of turmoil my country is going through, but I absolutely can't wait.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Car_Wash

Tyrael

Nice.

Wagner Moura as Sergio Moro? :D

tumblr_inline_mnh4fnO9y21qz4rgp.gif

Lehow

It is indeed weird to see an ongoing event that ahs no schedule to end being aleady adapted to TV. Anyway, I just hope that the series turns out to be great.

Walpurgis

Banned
This is awesome. I loved Narcos. However, isn't this ongoing? I think it would be best to release in 2018.

I wonder if I should stop following the current crisis and just wait for this...
Nice.

Wagner Moura as Sergio Moro? :D

tumblr_inline_mnh4fnO9y21qz4rgp.gif
Hell yeah!

Massa

It is indeed weird to see an ongoing event that ahs no schedule to end being aleady adapted to TV. Anyway, I just hope that the series turns out to be great.

They already have enough material for a few seasons. My main concern is that if they stick to the facts there's a good chance people will find the show too unrealistic and unbelievable.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I'm so glad Robocop didn't tank his career in the US as that movie is a huge outlier from his other work. The Elite Squad movies stew great, the second is quite possibly one of the best "action" movies of the last few years. Also has one of the most cathartic scenes out there.

hawk2025

AFAIK Padilha is to the right and Wagner Moura is further left.

I do hope both are involved and they go scorched earth on everyone involved, rather than be tempted to focus only on one or other aspect.

But if that's the case, they both need the mental fortitude to realize that there are no heroes or victims in this story. And I'm not sure Moura is there yet. I don't expect him to be involved, tbh.

Tiops

Wagner Moura is pro Dilma and is defending her everywhere. He's too biased for this.

Unless the series is biased too, then he'll fit well.

Platy

They already have enough material for a few seasons. My main concern is that if they stick to the facts there's a good chance people will find the show too unrealistic and unbelievable.

Happened to Narcos too =P

I read some reviews that said that stuff based on real events were unrealistic.

Happened to Narcos too =P

I read some reviews that said that stuff based on real events were unrealistic.

Isn't that why they used actual news/documentary footage? That was a neat idea. They could do that again. I guess it depends on if they have actual footage though?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom