• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Cosmos series by Carl Sagan's widow and...Seth McFarlane?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bengraven

“Cosmos,” the 1980 documentary mini-series that encouraged a generation of viewers to contemplate the origins of the universe and their place in it, and made an unlikely television personality out of the astronomer Carl Sagan, is poised to return to terrestrial airwaves. Only this time the starship is being steered by a pilot whose identity you might not surmise even if you had billions and billions of guesses.

On Friday the Fox network is to announce that it has ordered a 13-episode series, “Cosmos: A Space-Time Odyssey,” expected to be broadcast in 2013. As part of a creative team that includes Ann Druyan, Sagan’s widow and a collaborator on the original “Cosmos,” one of the executive producers is Seth MacFarlane, the creator, producer, co-star and animating spirit of “Family Guy,” the bawdy and irreverent Fox cartoon sitcom.

Yet behind a comic sensibility that is sometimes provocative and sometimes puerile, Mr. MacFarlane is a committed fan of the first “Cosmos” who laments a modern society that he says has lost its fascination with science.

“We’re obsessed with angels and vampires and whatnot,” Mr. MacFarlane, 37, said in a telephone interview, “when there are many more exciting and very real and much more spectacular things to be excited about, that are right in our own planetary backyard.”

When the original “Cosmos” (subtitled “A Personal Voyage”) was first shown on PBS from September to December 1980, it was a watershed moment for science-themed television programming. Sagan’s look at existence at its most massive and microscopic, accompanied by a contemplative score by the Greek composer Vangelis, were eventually viewed by 400 million people in 60 countries, making it public television’s most-watched short-form series until the Ken Burns documentary “The Civil War.”

While its visions of intergalactic travel made an impression on a young Mr. MacFarlane (see the many “Star Trek” and “Star Wars” references on “Family Guy”), the intrepid spirit of “Cosmos” is now hard to reconcile with an era in which NASA has no clear successor to its recently ended space shuttle program.

“The older I got, I noticed a pattern in our culture of lethargy,” Mr. MacFarlane said. “We got to the Moon, and then we just stopped.”

In 2009 Mr. MacFarlane was introduced by Neil deGrasse Tyson, the astrophysicist, “Nova ScienceNow” host and director of the Hayden Planetarium, to Ms. Druyan, a “Cosmos” co-creator.

For several years Ms. Druyan said, she, Dr. Tyson and Steven Soter, another collaborator on the original series, pitched a new version of “Cosmos” to “the usual television network suspects” that did not quite see mass appeal in the series.

“We weren’t interested in going to the audience that already knew that it loved science,” Ms. Druyan said. “We wanted to go to the largest possible audience and attract people who’d never even thought about it.”

But with the support of Mr. MacFarlane the “Cosmos” team obtained meetings with Peter Rice, the chairman of Fox Broadcasting, and Kevin Reilly, the network’s entertainment president, who gave the series a green light last year. The new series will be produced with the National Geographic Channel, which will show episodes after they run on Fox.

Mr. MacFarlane and Ms. Druyan are now close friends and more compatible than their reputations might suggest. Ms. Druyan said Mr. MacFarlane was a hero in her household, where she and her children are regular “Family Guy” viewers.

Their personal politics also overlap from time to time: Ms. Druyan is on the advisory board of the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws, whose values are occasionally espoused on “Family Guy.” And Mr. MacFarlane once assigned one of his writers to read an essay about abortion by Sagan and Ms. Druyan before tackling a controversial “Family Guy” episode on that same topic.

Mr. MacFarlane seems to have an ever-increasing entertainment portfolio. He is also serving as an executive producer of the Fox animated programs “American Dad!” and “The Cleveland Show”; preparing a revival of “The Flintstones” for the network; releasing a pop album; and directing his first feature film, “Ted,” about a man with a living teddy bear. He said he understood that his love of lowbrow culture and low humor made him the odd man out on “Cosmos.”

“I’m perhaps the least essential person in this equation,” he said. “This is obviously a complete departure from anything that I’ve done professionally, but it’s very comfortable territory for me personally.” (Unlike Mr. MacFarlane’s cartoon shows, the new “Cosmos” will not feature non-sequitur pop-culture jokes, and will be hosted by Dr. Tyson.)

Ms. Druyan said that though Mr. MacFarlane never knew her husband, who died in 1996, “I’ve imagined Seth and Carl meeting, an infinite number of times, adding that as “two men with just protean talents,” they surely would have been kindred spirits.

“Now, I’ve heard stories about my husband before we were together, that he wasn’t always that nice,” Ms. Druyan said. “But the guy I knew was truly good. That’s just the vibe of being with Seth.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/05/a...osmos-with-seth-macfarlane-as-a-producer.html

I think it's an odd match, but I also do think that somewhere deep down McFarlane is intelligent and he seems to truly love science and the legacy of Sagan, so I'll be excited to see this. I also really enjoy watching Tyson.

Best reaction on Google+: "Hey Lois, remember the time William Shatner took control of the Spaceship of the Imagination?"

Here's a clip of Tyson:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiOwqDmacJo

And here's him knocking down a religious troll:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afGkv0IT4dU&feature=related

Edit: Lock if old and curse out the lack of thread search.

Clevinger

At first I was worried about McFarlane's involvement, but it seems like he's just using his clout on the network to do something really cool, so kudos to him.

bengraven

Best reaction from Google Plus:

Hey Lois, remember the time William Shatner took control of the Spaceship of the Imagination?

Slayven said:
Is there any anything made between 1975 and 1995 that McFarlane isn't a fan of?

No. He's basically one of us.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Hold on, let me get a glass of water to spit all over my computer..

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Sounds like Seth is pretty passionate about the project, this is very cool.

As long as he doesn't do the voice over work. Get Tyson to do it, that would be rad.

explodet

(Unlike Mr. MacFarlane’s cartoon shows, the new “Cosmos” will not feature non-sequitur pop-culture jokes, and will be hosted by Dr. Tyson.)
They need to put this in every promo with giant letters just for the sake of all the haters.

smurfx

get some go again
wenis said:
Sounds like Seth is pretty passionate about the project, this is very cool.

As long as he doesn't do the voice over work. Get Tyson to do it, that would be rad.
seth voice over in quagmires voice.

bengraven

DoctorWho said:
I'm all for an updated Cosmos.

And his wife is an exec producer on this and I'm for that. She's brilliant. And with Tyson helping out, that's even better. He's one of the most charismatic new scientists we have.

Futureman

theinfinityissue said:
Wow. Tyson and McFarlane. It's like an annoying douchebag master seminar.

how is Tyson a doucebag? I only know him from the Nova series as the host. His lines and delivery can be cheesy, but actually really reminds me of Sagan on Cosmos which also feels cheesy at times.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Regardless of what anyone thinks of his shows, Seth McFarlane is a genuinely cool and intelligent guy. I have no issue with this whatsoever.

Veezy

que?
I wonder how intentional the start date of "sometime in 2013" is?

I can imagine Dr. Tyson sitting around listening to some ass hole on TV talk about the world ending in 2012 and he gets a phone call.

"No, no, no... start it 2013. I have a great opener for the first episode. About how, ya know, shit didn't happen December of 2012."

I'm pumped. I love space and Dr. Tyson gets super pumped when he talks about it. Hype.

UraMallas

I do NOT like Tyson. He's too pompous to listen to for an entire series, imo. He is a very smart man but I don't like looking at his face and his smug demeanor makes me want to punch him.

Clevinger

UraMallas said:
I do NOT like Tyson. He's too pompous to listen to for an entire series, imo. He is a very smart man but I don't like looking at his face and his smug demeanor makes me want to punch him.

I imagine he'll tone it down for a network show. Hopefully.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
UraMallas said:
racist

This sounds like a good idea. I like Tyson and the idea of Sagan's wife being involved.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Neil Degrasse Tyson is the host? Dude, this can't go wrong. This will be amazing.

Big-E

Good on Fox for giving this a bigger potential audience. Hopefully they don't kill it after 2 episodes though.

While I am not a huge fan of McFarlane, he is a rather smart guy. I think he will do a very good job getting this show together, and having Tyson as the host is just all kinds of awesome. Can't wait.

Dai101

Banned
PAIkW.png

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
i will watch this while having a bowl of broccoli

the real test will be if they can out do BBC documentaries. they've set the bar fairly high

Marleyman

Banned
UraMallas said:

I agree with you about Tyson.

B!TCH

how are you, B!TCH? How is your day going, B!ITCH?
theinfinityissue said:
Wow. Tyson and McFarlane. It's like an annoying douchebag master seminar.
Hahaha, I'm stealing this line.

ZeroGravity

“We’re obsessed with angels and vampires and whatnot,” Mr. MacFarlane, 37, said in a telephone interview, “when there are many more exciting and very real and much more spectacular things to be excited about, that are right in our own planetary backyard.”
Well fucking said.

bengraven

I was thinking about this last night and I was like "Okay, you have NGT as the main character, but who will be his sassy wife and animal best friend?"

That's great! I've only seen a couple episodes of the original, but the book(by Sagan) is one of my very favorites. It made me passionate and optimistic about skepticism and secular humanism for the first time. Looking forward to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom