• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Tales of series title likely in development, as hinted during Bandai Namco shareholders’ meeting

20240626-32964-960x640.jpg

Next year, the Tales of franchise will celebrate its 30th anniversary, with the Tales of Festival 2025 officially scheduled to take place from June 7 to 8. The fantasy RPG series’ latest entry Tales of Arise came out in 2021, after a 5-year gap in the series. As a result, fans have grown hungry for new developments, whether it be a remake, port or a new mainline entry.

It seems the wait will not have been in vain though, as a recent statement by Bandai Namco Holdings during a shareholders meeting has been interpreted by Japanese attendees and fans to be affirmative of a new Tales of title being in the works. According to a report by an attendee, when asked specifically whether there is a Tales title in production for the series’ 30th anniversary, Bandai’s representative responded, “There are things I can’t reveal at the moment, but please look forward to upcoming announcements.” The attendee notes that the wording Bandai HD used in this answer differs from their typical “we’re considering it, stay tuned” response, so it may be safe to assume that a new Tales title will be announced in the near future. In reaction to the report, Japanese Tales fans have grown heated for a new entry.
Tales of series Producer Yusuke Tomizawa has previously stated that he wishes to create something special for the 30-year-anniversary. In a 2022 interview with Famitsu, he even commented that “if there is no new title for the 30th anniversary, I will not have fulfilled my responsibility towards the series.” Tomizawa also mentioned that he wants to deliver “what the fans are looking for” and expand the Tales series’ range. While hoping to keep working on new entries, the producer also said that he does not intend to ignore fans’ requests for ports and remakes of past titles. At the time, Tomizawa was not able to say anything specific, but based on Bandai Namco HD’s statement, we may be getting the details soon.

The Tales of Festival 2025 is scheduled to be held on June 7 and 8, 2025.

kiphalfton

Gold Member
Felt like for awhile there they were being churned out like no tomorrow (mainly during PS3 gen).

Seems like for every one good game there's 3-4 mediocre ones.

Hudo

Gold Member
I wasn't a fan of Zesteria and never finished it. (That final boss was BS)
I can understand that. Zestiria is... we'll never really know how much the project was fucked by Hideo Baba's incompetence and his affair with the voice actress. But I guess even with him not behaving like a retard, it would still have problems. Some decisions were made that pushed it from a potential 9/10 to a 6/10.

I still like it.

Doom85

Berseria was a step in the right direction, and then Arise managed to be my 2nd least favorite Tales after Xillia 2. Sure, the graphics were vastly improved, but everything else was lackluster.

Hoping we get a new one on par with Abyss, Berseria, Vesperia, and Symphonia. Also an Abyss remaster (and the other older Tales games as well).

I Hope Please GIF

Berseria was a step in the right direction, and then Arise managed to be my 2nd least favorite Tales after Xillia 2. Sure, the graphics were vastly improved, but everything else was lackluster.

Hoping we get a new one on par with Abyss, Berseria, Vesperia, and Symphonia. Also an Abyss remaster (and the other older Tales games as well).

I Hope Please GIF

Oh we are definitely getting remasters of PS1 Tales games

Fbh

I'd definitely be up for a new tales of.
Had my issues with Arise (mainly the meh story and bland boss fights) but still enjoyed it overall

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Has there been a point in the last 30 years where a Tales game hasn't been in development? I think it's just assumed.

Hopefully better than Tales of Arise

Or

The next Tales will be Tales of The Abyss 2 and will be direct sequel (I know not gonna to happen)
Tales of Arise was a pretty big success so I don't think they learned the right lessons.

I did like some aspects of it, but the story and characters were weak and I really wish they would go back to making the dungeons a bit more interesting.

Sleepwalker

I want the old ones ones to get remastered with some qol features. graphically they still hold up.

Anyway, hopefully its good. still need to play arise lol

Has there been a point in the last 30 years where a Tales game hasn't been in development? I think it's just assumed.

Tales of Arise was a pretty big success so I don't think they learned the right lessons.

I did like some aspects of it, but the story and characters were weak and I really wish they would go back to making the dungeons a bit more interesting.

That was my issue with Arise. Forgettable cast and boring story. The graphics was the only good thing about that game. When it comes to Tales games it's down there with Symphonia and Zesteria as one of the worst Tales I played.

For me Abyss, Vesperia and Berseria are the best ones so far

SF Kosmo

That was my issue with Arise. Forgettable cast and boring story. The graphics was the only good thing about that game. When it comes to Tales games it's down there with Symphonia and Zesteria as one of the worst Tales I played.

For me Abyss, Vesperia and Berseria are the best ones so far
I thought Symphonia was one of the best. Berseria had a good story and characters but it did have the same issue with boring dungeons.

My faves are probably Eternia, Symphonia, Vespiria, with an honorable mention for Phantasia PSX.

Doom85

Inomata is dead, Fujishima is working on a new manga.

Who fucking cares?

Regular Season Wtf GIF by NBA

Yes, I’m sure only two people on the entire planet can do good character/art design for Tales. The series is doomed!

Danger 5 Laughing GIF

Like, come on. I disliked most of Arise, but nothing was wrong with the character design save the MC’s stupid-looking helmet (thankfully customization swiftly put an end to his stupid appearance in my playthrough).

SF Kosmo

I never played the PS1 Tales games

I'm going to be playing those games on emulator
Despite being the most popular (an accident of releasing in the wake of an explosion of interest in RPGs), Destiny is pretty rough. There's a remake of it on PS2 that got a translation patch recently and I would very much recommend that instead of the original.

Last edited:
Despite being the most popular (an accident of releasing in the wake of an explosion of interest in RPGs), Destiny is pretty rough. There's a remake of it on PS2 that got a translation patch recently and I would very much recommend that instead of the original.

I'll check that version out than

Last edited:

Astral Dog

ToA was very high quality(not so much in the writting department, but as an action rpg the tech and animation quality was a big improvment ) so i expect good things from this team

CosmicComet

Alphen was my favorite Tales protag ever but God Damn was that story uninteresting.

A stupid space slavery story with humans vs humans that was small in scale, since it had to do with two nearby planets.

I was hoping for a more cosmic spanning story like star ocean.

Last edited:
Top Bottom