• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NG+ |OT| NeoGaf+ For posts that don't fit anywhere else

nush

Gold Member
My mums husband is having a clear out and found a sealed Covid test kit, British NHS. I've never seen one, I wasn't here in the UK so I had a look at what was inside. There was so much stuff inside, even though it was ordered just for him it looked like it was enough to test 8 people. All kinds of plastics, glossy box, colour manual, just loads of stuff in it. Product manger in me just looked and thought "How much did you spend on all of this!?"

It was out of date so I threw it in the bin. When I came back to my desk I noticed a little bit of paper had fallen out. It was a Quality Control slip written in Chinese, red stamped in Chinese....

giphy.gif

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
My mums husband is having a clear out and found a sealed Covid test kit, British NHS. I've never seen one, I wasn't here in the UK so I had a look at what was inside. There was so much stuff inside, even though it was ordered just for him it looked like it was enough to test 8 people. All kinds of plastics, glossy box, colour manual, just loads of stuff in it. Product manger in me just looked and thought "How much did you spend on all of this!?"

It was out of date so I threw it in the bin. When I came back to my desk I noticed a little bit of paper had fallen out. It was a Quality Control slip written in Chinese, red stamped in Chinese....

giphy.gif
My girlfriend's brother is a head chef in a luxury rest home up in Scotland. During the pandemic he had to take one of those covid19 swab tests daily and have a blood test every week.

One week he got a positive from the blood test for covid19 and a negative from the covid19 swab test, he didn't trust the covid19 swab test and decided to experiment by placing the swab under tap water and it came back positive.🤣

Pound It Cartoon Network GIF

nush

Gold Member
One week he got a positive from the blood test for covid19 and a negative from the covid19 swab test, he didn't trust the covid19 swab test and decided to experiment by placing the swab under tap water and it came back positive.🤣

I'd have to dig deep but there was a post from one of my Chinese friends on Wechat in China that shows two different brand Covid tests he had taken at the same time also showing opposite results.

Seeing how most of Western Entertainment is turning out I would rather spend more of my free time reading Books/Manga and watching Anime than spend time on whatever is considered entertaining when it comes to Movies/Shows especially from Hollywood. Same with most modern videogames 👀 👀

Last edited:

T8SC

Gold Member
Seeing how most of Western Entertainment is turning out I would rather spend more of my free time reading Books/Manga and watching Anime than spend time on whatever is considered entertaining when it comes to Movies/Shows especially from Hollywood. Same with most modern videogames 👀 👀

I'm more into Audiobooks these days but I do understand your point. :messenger_bicep:

Last edited:
Yeah you do need the right narrator, that's true. I've had a few dodgy ones but if it's read well, it's really good. Also nice to hear books read by the author too, like some physics/astrophysics books I've listened too.

Oh nice

But for me, the feel of a physical book is something else

I love the feeling of accomplishment I get whenever I read a physical book and the pages I turn get less and less until I'm on the last page. The only thing that equals that is building something with your hands

I do use my Samsung Tablet to read Books/Comics/Manga. But I prefer reading Books physical and Comics/Manga Digital

Last edited:

T8SC

Gold Member
Oh nice

But for me, the feel of a physical book is something else

I love the feeling of accomplishment I get whenever I read a physical book and the pages I turn get less and less until I'm on the last page. The only thing that equals that is building something with your hands

I do use my Samsung Tablet to read Books/Comics/Manga. But I prefer reading Books physical and Comics/Manga Digital

I've got a bookcase full of books with the same idea & philosophy, I always prefer physical media/books. It's just time I lack and that's where the Audiobooks come in when driving etc.

near

Gold Member
Narrators aren’t an issue for me when it comes to audiobooks, it’s paying attention. I can’t sit there undistracted listening to a book, I feel completely detracted from it. It’s not like a podcast where you can faze in and out of conversations and still be following. Bought myself a Kindle last month and I looooove it.

FunkMiller

Gold Member

Funnily enough, I actually find audiobooks to be a great thing to listen to while I'm making something with my hands. Whether it's Lego/40k painting/cooking etc. I really enjoy listening to a novel at the same time. I even played a good forty hours of Powerwash Simulator listening to 40k audiobooks. One of the best gaming experiences I've had in years :messenger_tears_of_joy:

T8SC

Gold Member
Funnily enough, I actually find audiobooks to be a great thing to listen to while I'm making something with my hands. Whether it's Lego/40k painting/cooking etc. I really enjoy listening to a novel at the same time. I even played a good forty hours of Powerwash Simulator listening to 40k audiobooks. One of the best gaming experiences I've had in years :messenger_tears_of_joy:

images

warhammer-the-emperor-is-pleased-dq7cet3caps5yhi3.gif

Yeah for me it's just not the same

Nydius

Gold Member
“Rambling about your life”?

Well okay. Why not.

Been in a horrible mental place the last two weeks because my car decided to snap its timing belt without warning and instantly ruined the engine. What made it hurt worse was that it was my late mother’s car and one of the few things I still had of hers. Finding and replacing the engine with a different one would have cost more than buying something from a private seller.

We ended up finding a very nice used Kia Soul that checked out mechanically and got it, but that made me equally depressed because that’s money out of savings I was hoping to hold on to. The car has also caused friction between my wife and I because she “always wanted a Kia Soul” and now thinks it’s her car exclusively. That led to a blowup between us where we spilled out a few years of grievances all at once.

And somewhere in all of that I pulled something that is pinching my sciatic nerve and my right leg feels like it’s on excruciating fire.

Not gonna lie, there’s been a few times over these last couple weeks where I’ve felt like it’s not even worth bothering anymore.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
What's everyone's vehicle insurance situation these days (US specific)?

Fucking progressive keeps increasing rates every 6 months despite no accidents and shit on my multi-car policy. Getting real tired of their shit.

Nydius

Gold Member
Fucking progressive keeps increasing rates every 6 months despite no accidents and shit on my multi-car policy. Getting real tired of their shit.

I thought it was just me. Also a Progressive user here, supposedly their highest tier “rewards” member and our policy kept going up every six months despite having no claims, no tickets, no accidents, no policy changes.

My last policy renew in April, with our original vehicles, was $100 more than it was back in October.

I think I’m gonna be shopping around for different policies before my next renew date in October.

adamsapple

I thought it was just me. Also a Progressive user here, supposedly their highest tier “rewards” member and our policy kept going up every six months despite having no claims, no tickets, no accidents, no policy changes.

My last policy renew in April, with our original vehicles, was $100 more than it was back in October.

I think I’m gonna be shopping around for different policies before my next renew date in October.

Same shit, it increased a hundred dollars in November, now another hundred. I'm shopping for other plans from tomorrow.

Kilau

Gold Member
What's everyone's vehicle insurance situation these days (US specific)?

Progressive also, that fucking Flo...

Our policy 3 years ago was $1,028/year for two cars and two drivers, it's now $1,954/year with no changes to coverage or driving history.

Apparently though, they still have the best rates in the state and "According to the Insurance Information Institute, as of January 2024, the average annual full coverage premium in Florida was $3,941 – 55% higher than the national average" so it seems like we way below the average here. We don't have minimum coverage either.

adamsapple

Progressive also, that fucking Flo...

Our policy 3 years ago was $1,028/year for two cars and two drivers, it's now $1,954/year with no changes to coverage or driving history.

Apparently though, they still have the best rates in the state and "According to the Insurance Information Institute, as of January 2024, the average annual full coverage premium in Florida was $3,941 – 55% higher than the national average" so it seems like we way below the average here. We don't have minimum coverage either.

Holy shit that's almost a 100% increase over 3 years... *

* and still the cheapest plan in FL.

Car insurances are such a damn rip-off.

Last edited:

nush

Gold Member
My mum took her husband out on a day trip for his birthday. She just called and said she would be back in 2 hours, so I offered to put some food on for when they get back. But no, unusually (Read: never) she said she'd pick up a KFC bucket. I haven't had KFC for about 5 years. :messenger_savoring:

chicken-happy-food-time.gif

This was my alternative for a long time.

dAkuKAp.jpeg

KKi7Dkh.jpeg

Thaedolus

Gold Member
My mum took her husband out on a day trip for his birthday. She just called and said she would be back in 2 hours, so I offered to put some food on for when they get back. But no, unusually (Read: never) she said she'd pick up a KFC bucket. I haven't had KFC for about 5 years. :messenger_savoring:

chicken-happy-food-time.gif

This was my alternative for a long time.

dAkuKAp.jpeg

KKi7Dkh.jpeg
I mean I’m an American in a deep red state and I can’t remember the last time I ate KFC, let’s check your passport son

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
Since high school I have only eaten KFC once, maybe twice. It really is the worst chicken place left out there in the US. Even random hole in the wall joints have better chicken - of all kinds - and have for a decade or more.

Edit: in fact mall food court chicken places, when malls still existed in number, had better chicken

Last edited:

badblue

Gold Member
Nydius Nydius I can empathize with the vehicle trouble, spousal argument (due for one of those here) and the pain. Especially that.

I managed to seriously hurt myself on Friday putting on my seat belt. I've been doing my best "Hide the Pain Harold" since.

Seems that I've fucked up my Ulnar nerve (second time). I have Physio on Friday, an arm brace to keep my from bending my elbow and a appointment with my neurologist in July due to preexisting nerve damage.

Kind of feels like my left arm is on fire and numb at the same time.

nush

Gold Member
My mum just tried to give me a lesson on phone etiquette.

"How do you answer the phone?"
Me assuming she's talking about the land line.

"Hello who's calling?"

"No you don't I called you and you just said alright" :messenger_pouting:

I hold up my smartphone and hope it will click with her. it doesn't. So I have to spell it out, it shows me who's calling and it says "mum".

Then she just does some Jurassic boomer grumble so in her mind she's still right. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

LOL Pwned. Again.

Top Bottom