• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nick Cage: Hayden Christensen's Star Wars performance was "Edgy, dark & Soulful".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zakalwe

Banned
Cage strikes again.

Cage singled out his co-star Christensen's work in the "Star Wars" prequels while sporting the greatest hair ever. “And so, I watched George’s movies, and the work Hayden did with George, and I was very impressed with Hayden’s sort of edgy, dangerous, dark and still soulful performance," Cage explained to IGN. "I thought it was superb. And so I really connected with him.”

Cage also really likes Hayden's sad eyes.

Siegcram

tumblr_m53xdcdCny1qjq4cp.gif

Jigorath

Banned
His performance gets too much flak in my opinion. He had an awful script and non-existent direction. In Revenge of the Sith at least I think he did fine.

Zakalwe

Banned
His performance gets too much flak in my opinion. He had an awful script and non-existent direction. In Revenge of the Sith at least I think he did fine.

I need to watch them again. I just remember feeling like my childhood was being ripped out as I watched them the first time.

Maybe I was being too harsh, expectations etc... I only watched them the one time.

Sorcerer

Its very difficult for an actor to survive George's bad directing and awful dialogue.

What should have been dream roles for Loyd and Hayden turned out to be laughable.

Pretty much any actor of high regard has nothing good to say about George's direction.

We know Ford, Nesson, and McGregor all have spoken out about about negative experiences about Star Wars and George.

I am sure all actors in the prequels just wanted to be in involved something of Empire caliber and never got that chance.

Hayden gets a lot of shit but he was great in Shattered Glass. He can act.

Loyd gets a lot of shit, but he was just an innocent kid under George's direction.

Sanjuro

And so, I watched George’s movies, and the work Hayden did with George, and I was very impressed with Hayden’s sort of edgy, dangerous, dark and still soulful performance, I thought it was superb. And so I really connected with him. It vicariously made me feel like a lone warrior Gungan. Disarming a nuclear bomb and saving the entire race of my people against all odds. The Gungan princess, a true southern bell, showing her appreciation by making sweet space love to me, exploding all over her voluptuous Boss Nass.

E909YIZ.jpg

And so, I watched George’s movies, and the work Hayden did with George, and I was very impressed with Hayden’s sort of edgy, dangerous, dark and still soulful performance, I thought it was superb. And so I really connected with him. It vicariously made me feel like a lone warrior Gungan. Disarming a nuclear bomb and saving the entire race of my people against all odds. The Gungan princess, a true southern bell, showing her appreciation by making sweet space love to me, exploding all over her voluptuous Boss Nass.

E909YIZ.jpg

102450-nicolas-cage-wink-gif-smiling-IFKN.gif

jstripes

Banned

That's my opinion, too.

If he'd been given a decent script and they had a competent director, Hayden could have really nailed the role.

Ridley327

Hayden wasn't the problem with Anakin, but he was the biggest victim. Guy deserved better.

With the roles he's been in since, he hasn't given the most convincing argument about it being solely on Lucas' hands that his performance was so bad in those films. I know, I know: blah blah blah Shattered Glass, but that struck me as more of a well-casted part than a well-acted one, since it played to his limitations.

Boem

Hayden had sad eyes? o_O.

He looked angry all the time...

Almost everyone had sad eyes in those movies. Ewan McGregor is a great actor, and he'd actually be a great choice for a young Obi Wan under a different director/a better script, and you could tell he at least tried to bring the spontaneity of the classics back a bit in the second and third movie, but it just didn't work.

Hayden Christensen was terrible in those movies, but it's hard to tell if that's because he's a bad actor or just because the production of those movies was fucked. Almost none of the actors came of well in those movies.

Roussow

I think most of the poor acting in the prequels is primarily at fault of the weak script and possibly the direction. Considering that normally incredible actors like Natalie Portman, Christopher Lee, and Samuel L. Jackson delivered uncharacteristically poor or dull performances, this seems like a reasonable assumption. The only memorable series-new actors in these movies was Ewan McGregor (he was genuinely good), and Ian McDiarmid (for embracing the campiness of the script and chewing the scenery). I would even argue that Christensen did a decent job in non-speaking scenes, his expressions and presence in some of the later scenes of Episode III is pretty imposing.

Liamario

Banned
No Nic, it wasn't. While I think George Lucas's direction and script take most of the responsibility, Hayden has done little to prove himself as a competent actor.

Ignoring all of that, Nicolas Cage's opinion holds little value for me.

leakey

E909YIZ.jpg

My first thought on reading the OP was that this must be an SNL skit.

Akahige

I guess this dude can get weirder and I thought he peaked with having a funeral for his dinosaur skull when it got broken.

Christensen in the Star Wars films is legit the worst acting I've ever seen outside Portman in the Star Wars films.

Amir0x

Banned
Hayden Chrisensen's role as Stephen Glass in the movie Shattered Glass is still his best work, and it's telling he's most effective when he's "pretending" to be a whining, shrill and pathetic manchild who ruins a lucrative career for the quick satisfaction of being the center of attention for his peers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom