• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo’s late CEO Iwata considered a divided response to be better than a positive one – “things that are praised don’t sell”

20240603-31830-960x640.jpg

According to a recent article by GamesIndustry Japan, a Nintendo executive once attributed the following quote to the company’s late CEO Satoru Iwata: “Things that are praised don’t sell – it’s the things that are criticized that sell. It is best to earn a divided response.”

The quote was brought up in the context of how (or if at all) public criticism affects a game or product’s sales negatively. Reportedly, these words of Iwata were mentioned by the Nintendo executive in response to being asked about the failure of the Nintendo Labo toy kit from 2018.
This fascinating stance towards what is considered a “failure” suggests that Nintendo’s fourth CEO Satoru Iwata may have instilled into the company a policy that welcomes negative buzz as much as it does praise. Nintendo is a company whose every move attracts attention, and their most successful titles are seldom the object of unanimous praise. Even the initial announcement of the Nintendo Switch was met with mixed responses and concern, ultimately leading to a dip in stock price prior to its release. But despite this, the Switch turned out to be Nintendo’s best-selling console, selling 141.32 million units as of March 2024.
Considering Satoru Iwata’s reputation as “a legendary CEO” who supervised Nintendo’s massively successful Wii console and Nintendo DS handheld, his words carry significant gravity. Being especially invested in interacting with fans through his charismatic Nintendo Direct presentations, Iwata had undoubtedly developed a good instinct for how public sentiment translates into commercial performance. As a result, he seems to have believed that praise can never be as loud as criticism. Alternatively, his words could also be interpreted as his attitude toward product development – in the sense that an overly “safe” idea designed to avoid any form of criticism cannot lead to remarkable performance.
At the same time, it is important to consider how the Internet has changed since Iwata reportedly uttered these words. Iwata was CEO of Nintendo from 2002 until his death in 2015. While the Internet and social media were very much relevant during this time, things have undeniably grown to a much larger (and louder) scale in the past few years. Many online communities have become fragmented by echo chambers, which means criticism and hate get amplified to levels exceeding what was once considered normal. Furthermore, this environment also makes it easier for distorted or misinformed views to affect public opinion, meaning that developers have more battles to fight than simply making a good game. Satoru Iwata’s beliefs about public opinion and sales may be based on an environment that is far more forgiving than today’s.

E-Cat

I don't think there is a better example of this than the Wii. Anyone else remember the response when the name was revealed?
I knew then and there that it was either going to be a complete flop or a roaring success. It ended up being the latter, though maybe not in terms of core 3rd-party titles. But that wasn't part of the "blue ocean" strategy then.

Why are we seeing his quotes lately? Is Nintendo releasing some Iwata AI
Literally the first sentence in the article my man.

According to a recent article by GamesIndustry Japan, a Nintendo executive once attributed the following quote to the company’s late CEO Satoru Iwata: “Things that are praised don’t sell – it’s the things that are criticized that sell. It is best to earn a divided response.”

Edit: Or are you just meme-ing? lmao

Last edited:

DrFigs

Literally the first sentence in the article my man.

Edit: Or are you just meme-ing? lmao
but why is it a news story now?

ProtoByte

He's wrong. He must've been looking at COD as the anecdotal proof. Because I don't think this has ever been the truth for videogames. People were not and will not be willing to spend most of 100 dollars to roll the dice for the sake of joining in on controversy. They might do it for social media beef, music, television and sometimes movies, but that stuff has a lower barrier to consumption both in time and attention.

Most of the "controversial" stuff that is successful in shit that a lot of people think sucks, but undeniably appeals to the most base of human nature. 13 Reasons Why is teen angst concentrate. Reality TV is super edited gossip drama on film. Bayformers is a giant robot and tacticool military explosion montage. And CoD is Bayformers in games without the Transofmers, plus the addictive aspects of online gaming without long MMO session hours.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Maybe they’ve been reading the Impact of Iwata or Ask Iwata. There’s a bunch of books out about him. It could be that people are seeking knowledge, they find something, and it makes sense to write an article about it.

consoul

Universal praise doesn't drive discussion. Divided opinions do. Better to be talked about than not.

Astray

Iwata was a very high risk/high reward leader so this tracks.

The man had some serious sales highlights (Wii, Switch), but also oversaw some of the worst periods of Nintendo commercial history (Game Cube, Wii U).

It's just another way of saying that you can't please everyone, no matter what you do. If your goal is to please everyone, you'll just end of disappointing everyone. Your best hope for a successful product is to make something interesting that no one else has made before, and hope that it catches on. It's the basic DNA of Nintendo's hardware philosophy.

Last edited:

The man had some serious sales highlights (Wii, Switch), but also oversaw some of the worst periods of Nintendo commercial history (Game Cube, Wii U).
Nintendo's handheld line carried them during the rough home console cycles, so in particular during GameCube, it didn't do as well as expected, but GBA was on absolute fire and sold 80 million in like 4 years. Which he oversaw as well. Clearly their home console line nearly died out during Wii U, and required something completely different to be done, in order to survive.

Last edited:
Nintendo in 2016: Bless you, Iwata, we can use this quote as a defense mechanism when people point out what a let down Star Fox Zero was…..
Iwata had little/ nothing to do with Star Fox Zero, and also he died nearly a year before it came out. SFZero was Miyamoto's baby. To prove they could make something truly great with the Wii U (it didn't happen).

Killjoy-NL

It's just another way of saying that you can't please everyone, no matter what you do. If your goal is to please everyone, you'll just end of disappointing everyone. Your best hope for a successful product is to make something interesting that no one else has made before, and hope that it catches on. It's the basic DNA of Nintendo's hardware philosophy.
Goes for any of the platform-holders, really.

Last edited:
I don't think there is a better example of this than the Wii. Anyone else remember the response when the name was revealed?
The hardcore all really wished they had stuck with Revolution, but ultimately coming up with something unique won out.

It's just human nature to react badly to something completely new you've never heard before. Once people get used to it, no one even remembers stuff like this.

Goes for any of the platform-holders, really.
I was more speaking to Nintendo's penchant since the DS/Wii of going for something out of left field and hoping it catches on. Motion controls, tablet controller, dual screen handheld with microphone and touchscreen, etc. Unique inputs and proprietary software to pair with them that appeals to people outside of the existing audience of console gamers. When it works, it really, really works. Aaaaaand then there's Wii U.

Hugare

I mean, they've created Wii U

You can interpret his quote as "high risk, high reward" I guess. And that I agree.

You can pull off a Wii/Switch success by being risky, or you can fail miserably like with the Wii U

They'll probably do more of the same with the Switch 2, tho

consoul

An organisation's inability to consistently execute on a strategy doesn't mean it's a bad strategy. WiiU's failure doesn't invalidate Iwata's stance.

E-Cat

Gamecube was Yamauchi’s doing, though. You can tell bc it’s powerful

In the context of Nintendo's history and more so in the scope of the video game industry in the last 40 years, this actually makes sense and has some wisdom to it. Initial praise about something that was just announced is no guarantee whatsoever of it actually being commercially successful.

Astray

Nintendo's handheld line carried them during the rough home console cycles, so in particular during GameCube, it didn't do as well as expected, but GBA was on absolute fire and sold 80 million in like 4 years. Which he oversaw as well. Clearly their home console line nearly died out during Wii U, and required something completely different to be done, in order to survive.
Yeah the home console side essentially got consolidated into their handheld line with the Switch.

I thought Iwata was CEO back then. Guess I was misremembering.

Iwata was in charge of corporate planning during the 2 years before becoming CEO in 2002, so he actually was heavily involved in GameCube's design and software for launch. (He's the reason we got Smash as a near-launch title in NA). If you watch old interviews from early 2000s, Iwata talks a lot about GameCube and how it was a really well-designed machine engineering-wise (it was), but lamented how it didn't do as well as they hoped despite a lot of great games coming out for it.

E-Cat

Iwata was in charge of corporate planning during the 2 years before becoming CEO in 2002, so he actually was heavily involved in GameCube's design and software for launch. (He's the reason we got Smash as a near-launch title in NA). If you watch old interviews from early 2000s, Iwata talks a lot about GameCube and how it was a really well-designed machine engineering-wise (it was), but lamented how it didn't do as well as they hoped despite a lot of great games coming out for it.
Thanks, interesting context I didn’t know about.

There are lots of things that are praised that sell well. You can't make concrete statements like his because they're not always true.
Well, for starters it's a fairly obscure quote to begin with. But in the context of Nintendo's history and more so in the scope of the video game industry in the last 40 years, this actually makes sense and has some wisdom to it. Initial praise about something that was just announced is no guarantee whatsoever of it actually being commercially successful. Was his point. He's of course not saying that nothing that is praised early on won't be successful. He means it's not a guarantee of success.

Last edited:

E-Cat

Many forget that Nintendo DS was also controversial at launch due to its titular feature, but ended up a success.

hikgRVD.jpeg

Many forget that Nintendo DS was also controversial at launch due to its titular feature, but ended up a success.

hikgRVD.jpeg
Once the DS Lite redesign happened in 2006, and the Brain Age and Nintendogs launched, is when it caught fire. It had a slow start in 2004.

Last edited:

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Initial praise about something that was just announced is no guarantee whatsoever of it actually being commercially successful. Was his point. He's of course not saying that nothing that is praised early on won't be successful. He means it's not a guarantee of success.
Who said anything about initial praise? I just took the quote at face value. I must have missed the part about initial praise. Being controversial or not being praised is also not a guarantee that something will sell either.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
I feel like this needs more context. I see the point - Game Boy got blasted vs. GG for having a shitty screen and CPU, DS and Wii both were very polarizing at launch - but quite obviously games like Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario 64, Zelda, etc., got universal praise and tons of sales.

Doom85

Iwata had little/ nothing to do with Star Fox Zero, and also he died nearly a year before it came out. SFZero was Miyamoto's baby. To prove they could make something truly great with the Wii U (it didn't happen).

I’m well aware of all of that. I said Nintendo could use his quote for themselves as a defense mechanism for why Star Fox Zero sucked, I never said Iwata actually worked on the game in any capacity.

BlackTron

Gold Member
The hardcore all really wished they had stuck with Revolution, but ultimately coming up with something unique won out.

It's just human nature to react badly to something completely new you've never heard before. Once people get used to it, no one even remembers stuff like this.

Well I knew Revolution was just a codename (ie Dolphin) but I was still seriously blindsided when the name was revealed. That white Wii was just a massive shift in tone from the mysterious black "Nintendo Revolution" first unveiled.

Top Bottom