• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo demoed Switch 2 to devs at Gamescom | Sources Claim it runs Matrix UE5 Demo With Comparable Graphics to PS5/XSX

salva

All I care is backward compatible. But I can see Nintendo being like "lol no, buy the same games again pls - give us your money".

Drell

A rog ally is cutting edge handheld tech and can barely run 720p 60fps at $800. And people expect a Nintendo device to destroy that at sub $400....

I'm still excited for a slightly buffed switch tho. Hopefully they do an OLED model quick
Well, the switch 2 will not have to run that bulky Windows full of useless features for a gaming device to begin with. I'm sure you can gain a lot FPS if your OS is optimized to only use a small fraction of the RAM and CPU.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
Well, the switch 2 will not have to run that bulky Windows full of useless features for a gaming device to begin with. I'm sure you can gain a lot FPS if your OS is optimized to only use a small fraction of the RAM and CPU.
Yeah, people kinda forgot with these new handheld devices that there's still a difference between a console and a computer.

BlackTron

Wow it gets juicier. It's no confirmation but it's a whole different level for a DF guy to tweet that we might push Series S performance compared to a random forum fanatic. As a big optimist for Switch 2 performance, I was never THAT optimistic.

If the leak/speculation combos are true and its another ARM Cortex config it bodes very well for BC.

If Nintendo delivers a BC portable Series S with an impressive 3D Mario on day one it's fucking over.

zeldaring

Banned
Wow it gets juicier. It's no confirmation but it's a whole different level for a DF guy to tweet that we might push Series S performance compared to a random forum fanatic. As a big optimist for Switch 2 performance, I was never THAT optimistic.

If the leak/speculation combos are true and its another ARM Cortex config it bodes very well for BC.

If Nintendo delivers a BC portable Series S with an impressive 3D Mario on day one it's fucking over.
John reasoning was dumb. Df have been wrong plenty of times. I won't get excited till we get actual specs and see how ports run.

Last edited:

daclynk

PS4 handheld and PS4 Pro docked with DLSS and Ray tracing that can run UE5 matrix tech demo is good enough for me. At least it can it can get some AAA 3rd party games thanks to Series S. Only problem now is storage. hmmmm.

Last edited:

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
PS4 handheld and PS4 Pro docked with DLSS and Ray tracing that can run UE5 matrix tech demo is good enough for me. At least it can it can get some AAA 3rd party games thanks to Series S. Only problem now is storage. hmmmm.
Nate the hate said he heard it'll be around 512GB.

E-Cat

having 'powerful' hardware is becoming more subjective/relative as tech advances, Switch 2 won't ever match an Xbox Series S,much less a PlayStation 5 or Series X,good news it doesn't need that to provide beautiful high quality visuals or be a succesful platform,as long as its a big jump over the Switch and solves the IQ issues that have been plaguing Nintendo over the years, without being either too expensive or cheap, they can design a solid portable console for people to enjoy
As we get increasingly diminishing returns from both Moore's law and graphics processing itself, having hardware that's even 5-8 years behind will no longer seem like such a large cap. The pressure is gonna be more on Sony & MS to justify the higher price tags for marginal improvements in fidelity.

shamoomoo

As we get increasingly diminishing returns from both Moore's law and graphics processing itself, having hardware that's even 5-8 years behind will no longer seem like such a large cap. The pressure is gonna be more on Sony & MS to justify the higher price tags for marginal improvements in fidelity.
Or they keep the same princes and add more hardware to make the world seem real, because if fidelity has reached its peak then introduce something that could compliment the visuals we already have.

BlackTron

I'd triple dip for a Super Mario Kart 8 Deluxe in 4K with all booster packs.

It's said as a joke, but it's not even that crazy to think they will do this with MK9 coming year 2 or 3. I kinda even want them to, because both my Switch copies were lost by friends/family (the second replacement copy was lost when my Switch case was grabbed without being zippered. I had no idea why all my games were arranged strange until like a month later I can't find MK and find out what happened. Air vent near the blast radius. God does not want me to own MK on Switch). I got kicked back to the Stone Age with with the WiiU version because I just can't bring myself to buy it a FOURTH time. Missing out on all the booster courses (and the ability to hold two items. Thanks for your intentional gimping of versions Big N) I'm the model client for an Ultimate Edition with all courses on Switch 2

More tidbits on that NSW2 closed presentation via the most recent Nate The Hate Podcast:

To summarise the interesting tidbits shared
  • Botw demo ran at 4k 60fps - instant loading times compared to the 30 seconds loading times on Switch 1
  • The DLSS being used was supposedly DLSS 3.5 but it may not have all the features the pc version does
  • The Matrix demo looked the exact same as it does on next gen consoles with supposedly better ray tracing however keep it mind it most likely wasn’t running on native hardware but on a pc/ dev kit with similar specs
  • March 2024 was a date being discussed at gamescom but Nate is unsure if it is a reveal date or a release date
  • Still no clarity on backwards compatibility
Ofc, take the info with a grain of salt.

Last edited:

tkscz

Might be old, might be false so take it with a grain of salt.

Just something someone shared on a discord I hang out on.
I know what leak their talking about and in said leak it claimed this was for the cancelled Switch pro. Though running at 660MHz in handheld mode at 4w is insane. That battery life would run a good 8 hours or more.

This also claims to be using DLSS 2.0 while the rumor here is claiming to use DLSS 3.1. Using Ampere would prevent it from using DLSS 3.0 so I'd assume they decided on using Lovelace over Ampere

skit_data

If this is indeed true it is pretty much my hopes and dreams coming true.
I skipped Switch despite seeing a lot of really great games releasing on it (Metroid Dread and Prime Remastered nearly had me) in hope of seeing a successor to Switch capable of BC while also leaning heavily into Nvidias technology.
I'll still remain a bit skeptical but I can easily see myself being there day 1 if it delivers on these promises.

alf717

I'm looking forward to enhanced BC with cart support. Seeing as how an overclocked Switch can play games much smoother or closer to the target FPS with higher memory speeds and cpu clocks. Gonna be really let down as I was with the WiiU if Nintendo tries to pull off a per game upgrade fee.

Last edited:
Top Bottom