• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo World Championships: NES Releases July 18th

ManaByte

Gold Member
Bidding Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
It says a lot that when Nintendo has nothing ready to show, they always fall back to the NES.

Anyway, this basically confirms that there's no more big games coming to the Switch. We may get an announcement for more remasters for the holiday season, but the Switch 2 can't be officially announced too soon at this point.

cireza

It says a lot that when Nintendo has nothing ready to show, they always fall back to the NES.

Anyway, this basically confirms that there's no more big games coming to the Switch. We may get an announcement for more remasters for the holiday season, but the Switch 2 can't be officially announced too soon at this point.
Well, there is still a holiday season to go through, so they might wait for the beginning of next year to announce Switch 2, and use some bundles to drive a few more sales for the original console this holiday. Announcing Switch 2 before would not help the Switch.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
They should release a package with the original full games instead of this remix bullshit instead of holding them hostages on their crappy sub service. No wonder people turn to emulation.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Damn, 30 bucks? I was kinda hoping this would be a free NSO game.

Ah well, I really loved NES Remix, so I’ll probably grab this.

bumpkin

Managed to get a preorder in with GameStop earlier. This feels like the kind of game I would get the most mileage out of digitally, but that Deluxe Edition is too cool to pass up.

Hopefully GS doesn’t oversell preorders and cancel some closer to release.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
8g7kvIE.jpeg

Dang, I’ve been eyeing up those Famicom controllers for a while, too. They’re usually ~$70 on eBay, so maybe the Japanese SE is worth it?

Nintendo doing the Switch like they did the Wii-U as its life comes to an end. lol.

"Thanks for the money, now buy our next product!"
What? Nintendo has released a shit ton of content in the last 7 years and has all the great 3rd party jrpgs. What are you smoking. It's nothing like thr wiiu. Lol

Impotaku

Well i have scoured every japanese site i can think of for preorders and the only place i see it available is the japanese my nintendo store, annoyingly the famicom joycons were a mynintendo store exclusive which makes me wonder if this isn't going to appear on any other store. They may appear from resellers at a disgusting markup on amazon marketplacebut that's about it.

Will have a go at weekend to set up my middleman forwarding address on my japanese account and then see if it will accept my uk credit card, i knkow on the my nintendo store it says that preorders can't be cancelled once placed so i'll have to be careful i don't mess it up.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
What’s in that booklet included in the physical edition?

The US version is lame… except for that golden cartridge.

Impotaku

In the few hours from my last post the regular edition has dropped on amazon japan for preorder it’s pretty cheap too at like £20. The fancy edition is still not up so I’m guessing it will be only for the mynintendo store.

Curious to know what you were expecting?
I wasn't expecting anything. New game announced; clicked and watched the trailer. Saw zero compelling gameplay footage. UI looks basic. They didn't explain at all what the hook is. Is it just playing 5 second chunks of 12 NES games? At least Nintendo Remix was remixing things.

Hardensoul

Gold Member
I wasn't expecting anything. New game announced; clicked and watched the trailer. Saw zero compelling gameplay footage. UI looks basic. They didn't explain at all what the hook is. Is it just playing 5 second chunks of 12 NES games? At least Nintendo Remix was remixing things.
They basically selling what the levels of the games played on the Nintendo World Championships.

But by itself I wouldn’t buy it. I just want the special editions for my Collection. Which I think looks good. I snagged both versions US and Japanese! 😊

They basically selling what the levels of the games played on the Nintendo World Championships.

But by itself I wouldn’t buy it. I just want the special editions for my Collection. Which I think looks good. I snagged both versions US and Japanese! 😊
So it is the actual original tournament levels? That's at least interesting for preservation purposes. I wonder if it comes with any documentary footage or interviews. I'd be more interested if it was treated like the Atari 50 collection or something. I would consider this for very cheap. Guess I'll see what reviews say. The physical packaging is cool though.

Hardensoul

Gold Member
So it is the actual original tournament levels? That's at least interesting for preservation purposes. I wonder if it comes with any documentary footage or interviews. I'd be more interested if it was treated like the Atari 50 collection or something. I would consider this for very cheap. Guess I'll see what reviews say. The physical packaging is cool though.
That’s what the advert was saying. They showed the past competitors from 2015 to recent.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
This looks bad. Only interesting thing was the trailer with the old tournament footage

Come on...those famicom controllers look fantastic!

Also a gigantic thank you to Hardensoul Hardensoul for posting the availability for the sets.

Observation: Nintendo can repackage games from 40 years ago, albeit with a coat of polish and some cool remix game mechanics, and release it without closing 15 studios and spending 500 million dollars.

Weird…

Observation: Nintendo can repackage games from 40 years ago, albeit with a coat of polish and some cool remix game mechanics, and release it without closing 15 studios and spending 500 million dollars.

Weird…
Yeah, Nintendo's great. You got to get off the brain rot man. We have 10 threads on it, go to one of those.

Impotaku

I’d love it to be like the Atari 50 collection. Sadly I don’t think Nintendo will go quite that all in, I dont think it’s trying to exactly emulate the feel of that original contest despite the name as there’s way more games than the 3 used in the contest. I think it’s just another variant of nes remix with some online multiplayer added. The game is pretty much a budget title, the stand alone physical is just over £20 in japan so it’s one of Nintendos cheaper releases.

Hardensoul

Gold Member
Link to Play-Asia. Currently sold out. But some retailers have been reposting. Just in case here’s link to Famicon Edition.

Last edited:
Top Bottom