• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nobel Prize in Literature goes to Bob Dylan

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
As I said in the other thread:

I understand and agree with the reasoning, I don't understand why now? Shouldn't this have happened long time ago?

tumblr_nd8mlr1aXM1skman4o1_500.jpg

hidys

I love Dylan but I was rooting for Randy Newman.

In all seriousness very very well deserved. No doubt that he is the most important lyricist of all time.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
As I said in the other thread:

I understand and agree with the reasoning, I don't understand why now? Shouldn't this have happened long time ago?

When Hamsun got the nobel prize around 1920 he said something like this. "Why now, I would have needed this when I was young and starving, now there is no point". The prize have always worked like this, going to well established authors that are already famous and respected.

Morat

Banned
'literature'

EDIT - Not trying to shitpost. I like Dylan, and I can see the argument about his lyrics, but I think they exist in the context of music, and therefore find him an odd choice for Nobelon lit.

Plum

'literature'

How are song lyrics not literature?

EDIT: Saw your edit, song lyrics are merely poems made to be performed alongside music. He didn't get the prize for the songs themselves, he specifically got it for his lyrics.

"How many roads must a man walk down? Before you can call him a man?"

Well.... apparently none mate. You just called him a man before you even found out how many roads he'd walked down

NOBEL PRIZE

Elven_Star

I'm a Literature BA, and I didn't know this guy's work was considered literature. Not saying it should or should not be. The whole situation is just weird. Usually when someone wins a Nobel he/she has been on the radar as a likely candidate for years. This just came out of nowhere.

Peru

I'm a Literature BA, and I didn't know this guy's work was considered literature. Not saying it should or should not be. The whole situation is just weird.

Sure lyrics can be considered poetry, literature, but music stands on its own, we have plenty of ways of celebrating great artists. Are we now going to open the doors to this particular prize for musicians? What's the point of this? Making it harder for authors to win?

I guess the prize is meaningless anyway but it just seems slightly desperate. If it's some sort of statement about how Dylan stands above regular artists it's equally dumb.

yonder

I'm a huge Dylan fan, but I feel conflicted about this. Yes, song lyrics are of course literature, but something feels intuitively wrong with placing them next to plays, novels, poems and so on. This sets a precedent where now all song lyrics are eligible. I guess I'm sort of wary of the value of "higher" literature being watered down or people caring less for traditional literature in general. It makes me sound really elitist and old, I know, but that's my gut reaction here.

Incidentally, should movie scripts be included as well?

Tugatrix

Murakami robbed again, and this time by someone who isn't an author.

According to the legends he refused the prize a couple of times...although he totally deserves it

Yes he is a songwriter so what? that's literature too, as long as you're something beautiful and with deep meaning, why can't that be literature even when you sing it?

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Bob deserved it. Even though I like the lyrics from Cohen better.

AlexBasch

Got scared for a second there. Read up Bob Dylan in a news alert from an app and thought FUCK HE DIED.

Then, oh he got a Nobel Prize, big deal. :p /s

I'm a Literature BA, and I didn't know this guy's work was considered literature. Not saying it should or should not be. The whole situation is just weird. Usually when someone wins a Nobel he/she has been on the radar as a likely candidate for years. This just came out of nowhere.

Not really. Dylan has basically been on the radar as a potential recipient for several years now.

It's fully deserved too, imho. I'm not that much into Dylan (never really explored far beyond Highway 61 Revisited, Blonde on Blonde, and Blood on the Tracks, to be honest), but this guy was absolutely instrumental in expanding the lyrical (and conceptual) vocabulary of popular music. Of course, it's always far too simplistic to attribute these developments to one single person. Still, there is at least a grain of truth to saying that, before Dylan, pop music consisted mostly of silly, adolescent love songs, and then Dylan came along and showed the world that you could do so much more, lyrically, within that genre or form of artistic expression. Just look at the Beatles, for example: Dylan was an absolutely instrumental influence on their transformation from teenyboppers into the ambitious art rockers of their later years; and that is only the most famous example.

Anybody who wants to understand why Dylan is hugely important should watch Todd Haynes' "I'm Not There". Apart from being a truly great film, it makes a very convincing case for the influence and importance of Dylan.

Strange, considering his best work (music & lyrics) came out in the 60s & 70s. They finally got around to him or something like that? I mean, if ONE musician is going to get this kind of award it had to be Bob Dylan, so awesome news.

karasu

"How many roads must a man walk down? Before you can call him a man?"

Well.... apparently none mate. You just called him a man before you even found out how many roads he'd walked down

NOBEL PRIZE

That was pretty shitty and reductive of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom