• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Now that the hype has died down, will you buy a Steam Deck?

Are you buying a Steam Deck at some point in the future?

• Yes, I wanted to buy one ever since they announced it

Votes: 82 38.0%
  • Yes, I didn't want one at first but now I want it

Votes: 12 5.6%
  • No, but I would if I had the money

Votes: 8 3.7%
  • No, I'm not interested in Switch-like portable gaming

Votes: 26 12.0%
  • No, I wanted one but now I don't want it anymore

Votes: 9 4.2%
  • No, never intended to buy one.

Votes: 79 36.6%

• Total voters

Onironauta

Preordered one at first, then cancelled. I'm still skeptical about the specs being good enough to run current gen games, considering the much more powerful XBSS struggles with some games.

Last edited:

Raploz

Preordered one at first, then cancelled. I'm still skeptical about the specs being good enough to run current gen games, considering the much more powerful XSS struggles with some games.
Hum, I'll add this option to the pool. Thank you.

Btw, I believe it should be powerful enough even for games in the coming years as long as you expect 30fps, dynamic resolution and low settings. Remember Switch is much slower and still gets some ports.

Last edited:

KAL2006

Banned
I put one on pre order. I understand the limitations it will be mainly for PS4 generation games and any prio generations. As well as cross gen games and indie games. And of course it will be a retro emulation beast. I know for certain it will have trouble next gen only games.

I will retire my hacked Switch as the portable emulation machine. Im not a PC gamer and have a tiny Steam library of games when I used to own a gaming PC 8 years ago. I wilk use it to play indie games and any last gen games and retro games I didn't get around to. I will also dock it to a 1080p monitor I have for some basic office work as well as some classic strategy games I haven't played. So basically it will replace my Switch and my old crappy netbook. My Switch will be used for exclusive games only. I like the fact I can play games online on the Deck without having to pay a subscription fee.

junguler

Banned
the hardware probably not but i do pretty much enjoy the benefits of it on the software side as i'm a linux gamer.

alf717

I might grab one if they go on fire sale. Would be fun to play around with. I'm sure it'll make for another good emulation portable.

wzy

Btw, I believe it should be powerful enough even for games in the coming years as long as you expect 30fps, dynamic resolution and low settings. Remember Switch is much slower and still gets some ports.
Wow! Where do I sign up?

Monotox

Neo Member
I only play older or smaller spec games for the most part. I want one but I don't think I can justify the cost of buying one right now. All I can do is hope that it was a hit and get one in a couple of years.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
Some of you seems to think that everything will run 720p30, but it CAN do 60FPS.

"The frame rate does not drop even if AAA level data is output on Steam Deck. Great deck! Great Unity! Great Gabe!"

Marty-McFly

Banned
I don't foresee this ever selling mainstream numbers.

It's just something that got hyped up initially because people dreamed it could take on the Switch.

The reality is that it's a small scale thing that will launch with a couple hundred k units in the month Switch sells 10 milllion.

That said, it's a cool concept and doesn't really need for a lot of people to buy into it for it to be fun to the user.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Some of you seems to think that everything will run 720p30, but it CAN do 60FPS.

"The frame rate does not drop even if AAA level data is output on Steam Deck. Great deck! Great Unity! Great Gabe!"

What game is that? If it's just some technical demo, then this proves fuck all

I voted: No, but I would if I had the money.

Why? I find Valve extremely interesting. I love my PC, and the thought of having all of these games on the go is pretty cool. BUT I own a Switch, and have very rarely ever played it handheld. I think maybe 10 hours total since I got it, maybe more but that's probably pretty close. I will wait until reviews come out, and try to get one but as it is now then $500 for hours of gameplay just isn't worth it. Maybe if my overseas move ends up going through then it will be worthwhile.

coffinbirth

I'm sure that it can run MANY games at 60FPS, but not whatever in the fuck that just was. Whenever they moved the camera from indoors to out and then back again the frames pretty clearly dropped, and yet that FPS counter didn't change. Not even once did it jiggle to 59fps...seems, uh kinda sus. Also, if that was "AAA level data", I'd hate to see how Cyberpunk 2077 fares ;)

Rudius

I think its too large for a portable, but much smaller than a laptop. I'd like something more pocketable.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs

They said it will run all new games 30-60 fps for a few years to come.....plus most of the old games on Steam. of course all new indie games should work fine for years.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I'd rather play Steam games on my PC. So, I was never interested.

I have the Switch because I want to play games I can't play anywhere else. Not necessarily because it's portable, that's only a plus for me.

Last edited:

ACESHIGH

Banned
Yeah I would love to have one if it was available in my country. As a PC gamer with more than 1000 games across many platforms it is a way better alternative than the walled gardens from the big 3. But I am not convinced regarding ergonomics and long term support from Valve.

BTW I love how performance is a concern but folks are fine playing 540p or 360p games on the Switch... talk about consistency.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
No, I have a gaming PC.

If it ever releases here in Australia I might pick one up when it’s been discontinued and is on a fire sale for $200 just because I like buying consoles and tech.

Last edited:

Fare thee well

Neophyte
It's cool and all, but I've gone all out and all in on one supreme gaming experience machine. When I game, it's going to be at my desk 95% of the time. I rarely game on the go or want to look at a small non-ultra-wide screen. When I was younger I would have appreciated it though; being carted off to trips and family functions all the time.

iHaunter

No, specs farrr too weak to play modern games. My 3080Ti struggles with New World on ultra, can't imagine that little thing. PC games are terribly optimized in general, unlike console games that let them get away with weaker hardware.

Great Hair

Banned
Hell GIF by Steve Harvey TV

bender

What time is it?
I have one pre-ordered but I'm not sure I'll end up pulling the trigger. I guess I'm worried about stick drift in such an expensive device. No idea how Valve is with their hardware warranties either.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Similar to switch and if you do get one graphics will be a problem a year or two from now price isn’t to worry about, it’s great for steam but I don’t see PlayStation, Nintendo numbers happening with it.

ComputerBlue

Gold Member
I am, it will retire my Vita as my go to emulator, plus I’ll be able to emulate newer systems that the Vita couldn’t handle, like GE64, and the great thing is I’ll be able to install Xenia and run the Xbox remake version. Not to mention having the ability to play some steam games on the go will be pretty great, I don’t have a big steam library though because I’ve never been much of a PC gamer because I can’t use a keyboard and mouse because of wrist issues, but I do have 100+ games through epic which I’ll finally be able to take advantage of. I’m not expecting it to run a lot of the latest releases though, but I’m OK with that.

Top Bottom