• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD: Over half of US gamers are multi-platform gamers

Some interesting statistics below. Not surprisingly, "multi-platform" merely refers to smartphone plus something else in the vast majority of cases. What I found most interesting was that "33 per cent of American's aren't playing games at all", which to me means 67% are. Quite incredible!

Multi-platform play isn’t just restricted to the most serious of gamers, says the NPD’s 2018 Gamer Segmentation Report, by EEDAR. Over 59 per cent of gamers play on more than one platform, most typically a mobile device as well as a console or PC.

Of course that still leaves 41 per cent of gamers playing on just a single platform, of which 34 per cent are only playing mobile games predictably. And, more incredibly still, 33 per cent of Americans aren’t playing games at all, though a considerable chunk of that can be attributed to the 18 per cent who don’t yet have a smartphone (last November, Deloitte said that smartphone penetration had reached 82 per cent).

“90 per cent of gamers play on their smartphones, tablets, or both. Personal computers are the second most popular gaming platform, with 52 per cent of gamers playing on a laptop or desktop PC. Consoles, the third most popular gaming platform in the U.S., attract 43 per cent of gamers, followed by handheld systems with 9 per cent”

Edited for percentages.

Source at mcvuk.com

Last edited:

Rayderism

Well, I guess, technically I'm a multi-platform gamer.........I have a PS2, a PS3 and a PS4. But I do understand that that isn't what they mean.

WaterAstro

It's a safe assumption if they consider mobile as multiplatform while when we talk about multiplatform, it will be about multiple consoles between the big three.

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
numbers only going to go up as Boomers pass away.
by the time gen Xers go, the people that play games will probably be around 95-98%

ps4 + switch. perfect combo. not sure if ill ever go to microsoft.

Last edited:

NahaNago

I kinda feel considering how massive social media and mobile is that most of the console game makers should have some type of crossover between mobile and consoles. Like maybe some minigames similar to what ff7 had in the golden saucer to tie into the console game for maybe added involvement into the companies products or like some items you can win on your phone that can be transferred to your console game. Or a visual novel game to give some background info to a much larger game.

thelastword

Banned
I'm thinking Console/PC and PC/Smartphone may be huge demographics, but consoles are where most gamers actively purchase+play....

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
Im a multiplatform gamer. I own a ps4, xbox one s, and switch. Could never get into smartphone games.

Mostly play ps4 and switch though.

I can't wait until we get to retirement age, put me in a home with my game collection when its time and I'll start an illegal gambling ring of tournaments with all the other seniors in the home.

Stuart360

Used to always own Xbox, Playstation consoles, and have a decent PC. Went PC only this gen as i wasn't impressed with the consoles this time.

Top Bottom