• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for July 2018

iconmaster

Banned

Top 20 games by dollar sales
  1. Octopath Traveler*
  2. Grand Theft Auto V
  3. Mario Kart 8*
  4. Crash Bandicoot: N. Sane Trilogy
  5. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild*
  6. Far Cry 5
  7. Super Mario Odyssey*
  8. The Crew 2
  9. Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six: Siege
  10. Mario Tennis Aces*
  11. FIFA 18**
  12. LEGO Incredibles
  13. God of War 2018
  14. Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker*
  15. NBA 2K18
  16. Call of Duty: WWII
  17. Detroit: Become Human
  18. MLB 18: The Show
  19. Minecraft**
  20. Destiny 2**
*No digital sales included
**No PC digital sales included

Best-selling hardware: Nintendo Switch

Go Octopath!

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Lots of Switch games selling well. Third party Switch game at the top..

Kagey K

Banned
https://venturebeat.com/2018/08/22/...aveler-and-grand-theft-auto-v-own-the-charts/

This is the part I found most interesting.

Venturebeat said:
Nintendo Switch was July’s best-selling hardware platform in both dollars and units sold,” said Piscatella. “This is the seventh month that Switch has led in hardware dollar sales since launching in March 2017, and the first since December 2017.”

Microsoft and Sony are both doing just fine, though. Xbox One hardware sales are trending up. In terms of dollar sales, the Xbox One platform grew by 50 percent year-over-year in July. Year-to-date, it’s up more than 60 percent.

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Yup, fully half of the top 10 are Nintendo exclusives (can't quite say Switch exclusive because of the Wii U versions).
A lot of the other system's games are current gen multiplatform and include digital. So it's even more impressive that Switch is breaking through software-wise(not counting the WiiU versions). Lots of odds it's going against.. it's doing even better than it seems.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
Octopath is my GOTY. I wasn't quite as floored with its overall quality as I was God of War, but I personally enjoyed my time with it more than anything else.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Nintendoomed
doomed-gif.gif

TLZ

Banned
A lot of the other system's games are current gen multiplatform and include digital. So it's even more impressive that Switch is breaking through software-wise(not counting the WiiU versions). Lots of odds it's going against.. it's doing even better than it seems.
I'd say there are no odds at all. No competitor in the handheld market. They're the only ones doing it now. I'd love to see how they'd do with proper competition.

Last edited:

Danjin44

I am very glad to see that it isn't. I'm one of those old weirdos that much prefer turn based combat in RPGs. I honestly could do without another "action" combat RPG forever.
Whats so weird about liking turn based combat? What I don't like is people calling "outdated". Action RPG also existed in past like the first Star Ocean and If thats the logic then would FPS also considered outdated as well?

Whats so weird about liking turn based combat? What I don't like is people calling "outdated". Action RPG also existed in past like the first Star Ocean and If thats the logic then would FPS also considered outdated as well?

Yeah, for some reason people think it’s weird that many of us still prefer turn based combat. I never understand the whole “outdated” thing either - especially when we are talking about an awesome system like the one in Octopath. I absolutely love the combat. So happy to see the game succeed as much as it is.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Really happy that the Switch is doing so well.

GTA V is just insane. I’ve moved house twice since that game came out.

Given that these rankings are based on dollar sales and GTAV is arguably* selling for quite a bit less than its original SRP, whilst Octopath Traveller is arguably* selling at SRP..
..That GTAV is sitting at #2 is kind of crazy.
The game is a genuine phenomenom.

*Arguably = I haven't checked. I may be talking out of my ass.

iconmaster

Banned
Octopath is my GOTY. I wasn't quite as floored with its overall quality as I was God of War, but I personally enjoyed my time with it more than anything else.

For me Octopath is like really good comfort food. It's not pushing its cuisine forward, but it's just like Gramma Squeenix used to make.

MayauMiao

Given that these rankings are based on dollar sales and GTAV is arguably* selling for quite a bit less than its original SRP, whilst Octopath Traveller is arguably* selling at SRP..
..That GTAV is sitting at #2 is kind of crazy.
The game is a genuine phenomenom.

*Arguably = I haven't checked. I may be talking out of my ass.

Let's not forget that even with lower SRP, GTAV have long paid itself and still making money via DLCs.

NahaNago

All those Nintendo games being on this chart is amazing. I also didn't think that Octopath would do as well as it did, GTA is a beast as usual, and God of war is still holding on.

iconmaster

Banned
Doesn't lack of digital sales make these charts completely obsolete?

Digital sales are for the most part factored in. Asterisks indicate where they're not.

Generally it just means that you can assume Nintendo platform games are doing a little better than the chart indicates.

Danjin44

For me Octopath is like really good comfort food. It's not pushing its cuisine forward, but it's just like Gramma Squeenix used to make.
For me the combat is sooo good, I haven't been this addicted to turn base combat since SMT/Persona press turn system. You can do some combination to completely destroy bosses and some bosses gives nice difficulty that makes want to come up with combination to destroy them.

Last edited:

DonF

Gold Member
  1. Grand Theft Auto V
  2. Mario Kart 8*
incredible.
Also, yes, without digital sales numbers, its very incomplete nowadays.
Still a good indicator. Awesome to see Detroit too.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I'm so happy to see Octopath on the top of the list, it's been a wonderful experience all around - probably my favorite game I've played so far this year.

Iaterain

God fF War legs aren't even impressive as Zelda BOTW, SMO and MK8D

Here is the rest of July's NPD chart:

The Best-Selling Games of 2018 So Far
Far Cry 5
God of War (2018)
Monster Hunter: World
Call of Duty: WWII
Grand Theft Auto V
Dragon Ball Fighterz
Mario Kart 8*
NBA 2K18
MLB 18: The Show
Super Mario Odyssey

The Best-Selling Games Over Past 12 Months
NBA 2K18
Destiny 2**
Madden NFL 18
Super Mario Odyssey
Far Cry 5
Star Wars: Battlefront II**
Assassin’s Creed: Origins
Grand Theft Auto V
God of War 2018

cryptoadam

Banned
Great summer for Switch with Tennis and now Octopath.

Rockstar is leaving money on the table without a switch port, the game would be number 1 if there was one.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Hopefully this translates into more JRPG greenlights from publishers. I also think mid-summer is the perfect release date for your more whimsical RPGs.

A.Romero

Here is the rest of July's NPD chart:

The Best-Selling Games of 2018 So Far
Far Cry 5
God of War (2018)
Monster Hunter: World
Grand Theft Auto V
Dragon Ball Fighterz
Mario Kart 8*
NBA 2K18
MLB 18: The Show
Super Mario Odyssey

The Best-Selling Games Over Past 12 Months
NBA 2K18
Destiny 2**
Madden NFL 18
Super Mario Odyssey
Far Cry 5
Star Wars: Battlefront II**
Assassin’s Creed: Origins
Grand Theft Auto V
God of War 2018

Is Battlefront II seriously a best seller?

Wasn't it affected by all the negative news and such?

Top Bottom