• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD shows top 10 best selling Vita games

Really nice result from Persona considering it's only one in top 10 which doesn't include digital sales

Seeing how that abomination of Call of Duty game sold it's really sad Vita never got real Cod as sales potential was there

Killer751

Banned
Handheld gaming has been in serious decline since phones started to dominate the industry. There's a reason Sony is pulling out.

Only a complete idiot would release a portable in the modern era.

Grinchy

Banned
Cool to see Unit 13 in the top 10. It's a shame what happened with Zipper but they didn't push out a turd for the Vita like a lot of other developers did.

Kagey K

Banned
According to ZhugeEX, Uncharted is just over 400k and Unit 13 is barely over 200k.

Not sure what sales potential a “real CoD” could have had.

DiscoJer

The abomination that was Gran Turismo PSP sold millions (like 3 and a half).

As to the viability of a portable, my lunchroom at work is full of 20 year olds bringing in their switches to play Mario Kart and Skyrim. OTOH, I've only ever seen one Vita, playing Persona 4.

Vlaphor

Persona 4 Golden is the best JRPG ever made and reason enough to buy a Vita/PSTV. It should be higher on that list.

stranno

That Golden Abyss top1 is totally deserved, Bend Studio did an amazing job with not the best tools, short development cycle and, probably, few support from Naughty Dog (aside assets from other games).

Its a masterpiece.

Its a shame Resistance: Falling Skies is not there, its a much better Nihilistic game than COD, totally underrated.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Handheld gaming has been in serious decline since phones started to dominate the industry. There's a reason Sony is pulling out.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Between smart phones and Switch consoles I'm not surprised. It feels like more and more people in the US needed a reason to play on the go otherwise they felt juvenile. So smart phone games and Switch consoles sell.

I'm not surprised. The western culture put these games at the top. Persona was the hot potato in the west in terms of JRPGs.
It's discouraging. Especially when you consider how many awesome games are on there.

The abomination that was Gran Turismo PSP sold millions (like 3 and a half).

As to the viability of a portable, my lunchroom at work is full of 20 year olds bringing in their switches to play Mario Kart and Skyrim. OTOH, I've only ever seen one Vita, playing Persona 4.

I have met more young people into PC and mining lol It's the adults and young kids with the Switch consoles. I'm a Switch owner, but I've owned handhelds since the GameBoy was still on store shelves. I really have no preference. It's discouraging because I still buy digital games for my Vita and there's a handful of these games that I'd really replay. Some I didn't own at all.

Break my heart that Gravity rush is not in the list.

It is. I feel like it's more about making money and getting kids on board with a platform then it's the overall quality of it all.

SonGoku

As a handheld lover (GBA was my 1st gaming machine) it pains me to accept you are right
Im so thankful Nintendo exist and managed to bring hanhelds back to relevancy by making it a hybrid

It's probably lack of public commute . I've got tons of usage of my PSP and then Vita when I was using subway (2x30 mins each day meant a lot of games :) ) now that my company moved into suburbs I have to drive there by car and my Vita get's much less usage.

Or maybe that Nintendo stomps Sony's ass in the handheld market, ya know a more logical argument

Last edited:

Bolivar687

Banned
It's no wonder it failed to take off when a lot of the games making the biggest splashes up front were so bad. Still, good to see gems like Mercenary, LBP and Unit 13 up there.

Also, Golden Abyss is better than Uncharted 4.

Danjin44

Nintendo?

Nintendo had nothing to do with it. PSP did well, and Vita failed. What happened in between? The rise of mobile gaming.
Both DS and 3DS destroyered PSP and Vita in sales. You are not even hiding the fact that you are shit posting at this point.

Danjin44

No, he's pretty much right. Observe the kids in your and your friends' families. They largely don't give a shit about consoles in general anymore. They play phone and tablet dog shit.
Is that why both PS4 and Switch is sold so well!? because the Console gaming is dead?

TLZ

Banned
Nintendo?

Nintendo had nothing to do with it. PSP did well, and Vita failed. What happened in between? The rise of mobile gaming.
The 3DS is still selling ok. What happened with the Vita was that Sony fd up.

No, he's pretty much right. Observe the kids in your and your friends' families. They largely don't give a shit about consoles in general anymore. They play phone and tablet dog shit.
My kids play both actually. Also the neighbours' kids. I see then sitting outside with iPads and Switches.

As a handheld lover (GBA was my 1st gaming machine) it pains me to accept you are right
Im so thankful Nintendo exist and managed to bring hanhelds back to relevancy by making it a hybrid

3DS has still been doing well (despite a rocky start).

Switch is closer to tablet than portable.

I admit, when I'm going out I'm likely to rely on my phone for a quick play (among other things mainly) than I am to bring my Switch.

Ozrimandias

Nintendo understand this like no one, they where so clever with the switch, they cant compete with cellphones but, instead, they menage to give you the possibility to carry your home console anywhere you want. The execution or support its questionable i think, or at least there ar no game on my interest there.....

Well i wonder about that

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...d_an_average_of_184_on_video_games_a_year.php

For instance, 83 percent of teens surveyed say that they either own or plan to purchase a current generation console by year-end, up 3 percent from this spring. Breaking that down, Piper Jaffray says that 66 percent of those surveyed already own a PlayStation 4 or Xbox One while an additional 17 percent plan to own one.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy

Which is why GPD Win is a big success, they are idiots, amirite.

Nintendo?

And less than optimal touchscreen controls. Also Nintendo DS/3DS were a thing. Also GPD Win and XD.

PS4 and Switch units sold are a joke compared to phone sales.
Amazing comparison.. except they are different ecosystems altogether as phones are used for a ton more things than consoles are. Hell why am i even explaining this... Its self-evidential.

This comparison is a textbook definition of disingenous posting. ''Hurr durr console sales are a joke compared to phones''. And phones sales are a joke compared to microcontroller sales (Which is literally in everything.)

The above is not a geniune comparison because nobody with constructive interest would use that as an actual point of reference. The fact that you do, says more about your intent on this place here than everything else.

Vita is the reason I even have a GAF account in the first place. This was the only site where I actually saw discussion about the system. Which mod decided to fold in the Vita thread with the general Sony thread anyway? That pretty much killed Vita discussion cause it got drowned out by the PS4 stuff.

Top Bottom