• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD: Top 3 Grossing/Selling Games in the US by Year 1995 - 2017

Kagey K

Banned

I heard that Call of Duty game is pretty popular. 🤫

Edit: Now with top 3 grossing for each year
DrfF690VYAE3lsM.jpg:large

Last edited:
It is weird to me when people complain about there being too much halo. Meanwhile call of duty has no shame lol. New game every year and still dominates the charts. Hold my beer. Being multiplat helps obviously.

Last edited:

Codes 208

Gold Member
Lol cod ghosts got bitchslapped by gta5 in 2013, no wonder we never got a sequel.

Well that, and perhaps they couldnt improve further on the mario 64 fish that swim away as you get close technology

Fbh

This is by revenue so Rock Band sort of makes sense. I wonder how the actual units sold compare to GTAIV

I still love Rock Band. It just got over saturated too fast with all the peripherals, Guitar Hero, Band Hero too much for the mainstream public.

Killer751

Banned
It is weird to me when people complain about there being too much halo. Meanwhile call of duty has no shame lol. New game every year and still dominates the charts. Hold my beer. Being multiplat helps obviously.

Being multiplat is huge for any video game developer.

Lilseb93

I knew Call of Duty would dominate this list, but it's a bit sad when you actually see it all together like that lol. Not that I hated those games at the time.

I don't know if Matt and Z do this on purpose but they are never clear and tip toe with these releases. This is not based on unit sales it's revenue but they won't ever make that clear.

Also on a unit sales list COD would get two more spots.

COD to pass mario in the next 2-3 years in franchise sales.

Three

I don't know if Matt and Z do this on purpose but they are never clear and tip toe with these releases. This is not based on unit sales it's revenue but they won't ever make that clear.

Also on a unit sales list COD would get two more spots.

COD to pass mario in the next 2-3 years in franchise sales.
It clearly says 'Ranked by dollar sales' in the table.

Last edited:
Yep, I remember 2007, 2008, 2009 very well, where every single self respecting adult had plastic, toy guitars and drums sitting in the middle of their living room, and the years you discovered how horrible you were at singing in rhythm, the songs you thought you knew how to sing well for years.

Vawn

Banned

Plenty of people complain Call of Duty.

It clearly says 'Ranked by dollar sales' in the table.

And yet people are still mixing them up here and on the other board. Which those guys are on and still take forever to clear up.

Usually with misleading thread titles just like this one. People just look at the list they don't read the top. See:

I’m beyond shocked that guitar hero/rock band managed to beat gta IV/cod4/halo3

I wonder if Red Dead will beat BO4 this year. I would think it has a good shot.

These posts are in sales context.

I was only clearing things up with my post.

Kagey K

Banned
Usually with misleading thread titles just like this one. People just look at the list they don't read the top.

I wasn’t trying to mislead with the thread title at all and thought it was apt, but if a mod wants to change it from top selling to top grossing I have no problem with it.

I wasn’t trying to mislead with the thread title at all and thought it was apt, but if a mod wants to change it from top selling to top grossing I have no problem with it.

Well we cleared it up now so it's ok.

jfc @ Nintendo's dominance in the late 90s.

N64 games were expensive and NPD is the only region the N64 did well in. No PSX game, at least by year, was going to catch an N64 title. More than one year yeah, as PSX has more high sellers, but for a single year it's hard to reach the revenue of an N64 game.

The closest was Crash 2 in 97. But MK had some good sales on the shelf since GE became the primary bundle.

mango drank

N64 games were expensive and NPD is the only region the N64 did well in. No PSX game, at least by year, was going to catch an N64 title

Yeah, I'd love to see some actual unit sale numbers.

Also, were there a bunch of N64 games that cost $70-$80, or were they mostly $60? I definitely remember some SNES games costing $80. As far as I remember, PSX games never went above $50.

thelastword

Banned
Though these might be the best selling games, we don't for sure because they are listed by revenue....So the title is a bit misleading here....

In any case, a multiplat having higher sales across a million platforms, especially games like COD or GTA is nothing strange. These are the casual games, but not necessarily the games which define a gen or move specific hardware......You don't need any particular platform to play COD or even Madden back then, it's just that these games are extremely popular across varying platforms......I'm pretty sure if we go to worldwide sales however, things will get interesting, some people jsut like to look at things a bit too much in a bubble.....Is Fifa the game defining game of this generation? probably not, but it's selling boatloads........across many platforms...

One game or series cannot define a console, because tastes vary, that is why a bevy of AAA exclusives are more important, it defines a console and push specific hardware because of exclusivity. Even Third party exclusives.....Just look at how GTA Trilogy pushed PS2 hardware......It was because of the exclusivity......So chances are I purchase a console for an exclusives or exclusives, but I also like to play COD or Fifa with my casual friends, so COD sales keep on going up since it caters to a wider demographic....In essence, anyone can pick-up and play the game...

Kagey K

Banned
Edited to OP.

Top 3 grossing games per year. (Since so many people think sales = Units, not dollars)

DrfF690VYAE3lsM.jpg:large

I see some exclusives in there now :messenger_winking:

That's what i call a list.
Xbox exclusives used to be very strong.
To bad neither Spiderman nor God of War will have any shot at top 3 this year.

That's what i call a list.
Xbox exclusives used to be very strong.

And still are, not sure what that means. Sales are still good.

Yeah, I'd love to see some actual unit sale numbers.

Also, were there a bunch of N64 games that cost $70-$80, or were they mostly $60? I definitely remember some SNES games costing $80. As far as I remember, PSX games never went above $50.

There were several N64 games that were 70+. depending on the size or whether it was Expansion compatible.

Some SNES games were over $80.

Uh it would be quite different actually. There would even be wii games.
I don't know what you're talking about.
There are Wii games.

Games being bundled with hardware are not counted anyway, if you think anything would've been Wii Fit.
Nearly all games have a very similar ASP. The only big difference are those Rockband and Guitar Hero games, that cost up to $250 or whatever.

And if you want to point out late sales at lower prices, all games have those sales.
So no the list would not have been quite different with the exception of Minecraft.

That's really the only multi million seller with a very very different ASP

I don't know what you're talking about.
There are Wii games.

Games being bundled with hardware are not counted anyway, if you think anything would've been Wii Fit.
Nearly all games have a very similar ASP. The only big difference are those Rockband and Guitar Hero games, that cost up to $250 or whatever.

And if you want to point out late sales at lower prices, all games have those sales.
So no the list would not have been quite different with the exception of Minecraft.

That's really the only multi million seller with a very very different ASP

If the list was updated to units it would switch things around, there would be wii games at the number one spot, and only one N64 game would be on the list.

If the list was updated to units it would switch things around, there would be wii games at the number one spot, and only one N64 game would be on the list.
So you're talking about the early years and not the latest. That is totally different from what we were talking about with MS exclusives. Those weren't relevant before x360

So you're talking about the early years and not the latest. That is totally different from what we were talking about with MS exclusives. Those weren't relevant before x360

I'm talking about between 1995 to 2016. Yes 2001-2016 has Xbox exclusives so it is relevant. There would be more 360 games there would be more wii games etc, of by unit sales.

Last edited:
I'm talking about between 1995 to 2016. Yes 2001-2016 has Xbox exclusives so it is relevant. There would be more 360 games there would be more wii games etc, of by unit sales.

I think i get it now.
You compare the physical top 10 list by units.
Those don't include digital, tho.

But we could compare 1995 until 2011 to see the difference in top 3 by units and value.

Last edited:
Top Bottom