• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia's grasp of desktop GPU market balloons to 88% — AMD has just 12%, Intel negligible, says JPR

Nvidia solidified its dominance with an 88% market share, growing by a whopping 8% from the previous quarter. Shipments of Nvidia's GPUs for desktops totaled 7.66 million units, up from 7.6 million in Q4 2023 and around 5.26 million in Q1 2023.

By contrast, AMD saw a 7% decrease in market share quarter-over-quarter but a modest increase in its yearly market share as the company's shipments fell by 41% from the previous quarter, but rose by 39% compared to the previous year. The company shipped around 1.04 million desktop discrete GPUs in Q1 2024, down from 1.81 million in the previous quarter and up from 0.75 million in the same quarter a year ago.

Intel, which entered the AIB market in Q3 2022 with its Arc A770 and A750 models continues to struggle for a foothold against established competitors like Nvidia and AMD. The company's shipments in Q1 2024 were negligible, based on data from Jon Peddie Research.

It will be interesting to see how things go when Nvidia introduces "Blackwell At Home", otherwise known as RTX 5000 series late this year or early next year. AMD has already committed to not competing on the high end their next gen with RDNA4 according to rumors, with the supposedly redesigned RDNA5 further out with no information on potential release dates. No one knows what the deal is with Intel Arc "Battlemage" other than it exists.

Mr.Phoenix

AMD doesn't need to, have to.. and probably shouldn't even compete on the high end especially when you consider that more than 80% of the entire desktop GPU market sits in the low to mid-range.

What AMD needs to do is to bloody make something competitive and stop ignoring or shoehorning every obvious GPU advancement made in the last 6 years. Instead choosing to stick to obviously archaic GPU principles and architectures.

The only respectable things AMD has done in the GPU space in the last 10 years has been (1) infinity cache (and even that was just because they wanted to use cheaper RAM) and (2) decoupling FG from FR.

They have pretty much lagged behind in everything else.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Starship Troopers Parody GIF

Hudo

AMD, Intel, Google, Microsoft et al. need to write an alternative to CUDA that is open-source and force everyone onto that. Because that's one of the main reasons why Nvidia have absolute dominance over the market. Their software stack.

AMD needs to price their GPUs 25% cheaper. Nvidia doesn’t get complacent like Intel did in the CPU market.
AMD cannot just lower the price 25%. They buy the same dies from TSMC that Nvidia does. Their cost structure is similar to Nvidia's. So they have to price similar to Nvidia to not lose money. They obviously refuse to lose money on GPU's, because TSMC is capacity constrained anyways and AMD would rather sell more profitable CPU's instead.

lmimmfn

AMD competevely are shit, no machine learning DLSS equivalent and their cards raytracing performance sux.
Their cards raster performance wise are priced the same as the Nvidia cards, who the hell will buy their cards? Buy nvidia, get the same raster performance for the same price but get dlss, better raytracing performance!!!

AMD GPUs are an absolute joke, even the company doesn't care much for them.

Last edited:

Chiggs

Gold Member
I'm eager to see what AMD puts on the table next time around--after their "reset."

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
AMD needs to price their GPUs 25% cheaper. Nvidia doesn’t get complacent like Intel did in the CPU market.
They tried this and it has never worked. AMD cards have always been significantly cheaper than their NVIDIA counterparts and it changed nothing. Whenever NVIDIA sensed that they were about to lose market share, they simply dropped their GPU prices to correct the situation. How often do we hear people say they want AMD to be competitive just so they can buy NVIDIA for less money?

You cannot hope to win this battle by having an inferior but cheaper product. AMD needs to make better cards period. Their only saving grace is that they don't intentionally gut their cards. I haven't looked at AMD GPUs in over a decade simply because they're almost invariably worse.

AMD better watch out, if Battlemage is good at all Intel is going to eat their lunch. They have some really interesting use cases for productivity. AMD has basically no measurable competitive advantage.

Reactions: GHG

Dr.D00p

7900XTX levels of raster performance with new & improved RT cores for $500 could be a nice little earner for them with their new(ish) RDNA 4 cards later this year.

"Why Nvidia having 88% market share and AMD only 12% is bad news for Nvidia" - MooresLawIsDead, probably.

I really need to stop with these.

Last edited:

FingerBang

7900XTX levels of raster performance with new & improved RT cores for $500 could be a nice little earner for them with their new(ish) RDNA 4 cards later this year.
It would be nice, but it won't happen. They are still going to launch after Nvidia and price their cards based on the same formula: $50 less for about the same raster performance.

The only hope is that their ray-tracing performance will be similar to what Nvidia is offering this time, and they will have a real competitor to DLSS. And this is only if Nvidia doesn't develop again something new to make their cards worth the difference.

Things won't change because AMD does not need to innovate. All they need to do is produce relatively good APUs for every possible device. Nvidia is currently too busy counting money to even care.

Mr.Phoenix

It would be nice, but it won't happen. They are still going to launch after Nvidia and price their cards based on the same formula: $50 less for about the same raster performance.
Yup. For the last 5 years or so, the people at AMD have been smoking this hopium that AI upscaling and better RT is only equivalent to a $50-$100 price difference. 88 to 12 says otherwise.
The only hope is that their ray-tracing performance will be similar to what Nvidia is offering this time, and they will have a real competitor to DLSS. And this is only if Nvidia doesn't develop again something new to make their cards worth the difference.
If this were true, and or happens, then yes, at least AMD would be feature identical to Nvidia and then the only thing that would matter is price and support.
Things won't change because AMD does not need to innovate. All they need to do is produce relatively good APUs for every possible device. Nvidia is currently too busy counting money to even care.
Naaa... if AMD doesn't improve, they will be in big trouble. Especially with the "soft" shift or push to ARM-based PCs now with the Snapdragon Elite. What do you think happens when Nvidia starts properly making their own ARM-based APUs for desktops and laptops? Which they are going to inevitably do, especially since they like counting money.

in the PC space... if you do not innovate... or at the very least stay in line with every major advancement... you will die.

Kenpachii

Is nvidia also not now going to release gpu's faster like once a year? thought i read something about that.

YOU PC BRO?!

Gold Member

I disagree, AMD needs to make their GPUs 25% larger. This would allow them the same degree of flexibility as NVidia. They could release cut dies initially just like NVidia does then full dies a year later to compete with NVidia Super line.

This just proves that theres a lot of room for AMD to grow. Buy your stocks NOW!
Being currently at basically 0% Intel has infinite growth potential unlocked. lol

No idea what I would have expected, more than negligible I guess. They clearly had some driver improvements, which naturally means they were hardly great at the beginning, and what is explained with coming Battlemage, a lot of die area was there but bottlenecked by various decisions, rebar requirement made it also harder choice I assume, but not even enough to be called 1% is a bit disappointing. So Battlemage really has to hit the ground much better. If that keeps being so low, I would assume going beyond Celestial might already be questioned. With AI being the big money pot now, after Crypto dispapearing for GPUs, Intel might see that more important and cut efforts? But they also need it for their APUs so can't abandon it fully anyway. Problem for AMD and Intel probably will be that they will both be fighting for those 12% and not really reach at Nvidia's part of the pie. But Battlemage sounds as though it is coming with some good improvments and maybe AMD has their Zen moment for GPU too. With more handhelds, doing more in that regard should also do something for them, and Intel too. But with Windows on ARM, Nvidia solutions might also come for that.

I miss the ATI vs Nvidia days. Radeon x800 XT PE vs GeForce 6800 Ultra
I actually owned both because I couldn’t decide which was better. The ATI was much quieter and ran smoother. The Nvidia fans were loud and the peak framerate was higher, but it had more hitching and lower lows.

I still have both in their original boxes.

FingerBang

Naaa... if AMD doesn't improve, they will be in big trouble. Especially with the "soft" shift or push to ARM-based PCs now with the Snapdragon Elite. What do you think happens when Nvidia starts properly making their own ARM-based APUs for desktops and laptops? Which they are going to inevitably do, especially since they like counting money.

in the PC space... if you do not innovate... or at the very least stay in line with every major advancement... you will die.
Well, it's a big maybe there, isn't it? I'm mildly excited about the big ARM push, but even if it was a big success and x86 applications just worked with the same level of performance (including games), the big wins are only in efficiency. They don't compete on the top end with what AMD and Intel can offer. Also, I'm pretty sure the only reason AMD and Intel haven't gone with ARM yet is the still sky-high demand for x86.

This switch won't happen overnight; it will take years to get to the point where many would be happy to leave the old tech behind. I can see ARM as a big win for laptops, but I won't believe it until I see:

1) I see performance with x86 applications
2) I see a Snapdragon X machine paired with a discrete GPU

I agree with your last point. AMD has been playing a catch-up game to just trying too be the cheaper alternative to Nvidia for too long. That has given us great things (Freesync, FSR3), but it's also an acknowledgment of being fine with being second.

MH3M3D

Being currently at basically 0% Intel has infinite growth potential unlocked. lol

No idea what I would have expected, more than negligible I guess. They clearly had some driver improvements, which naturally means they were hardly great at the beginning, and what is explained with coming Battlemage, a lot of die area was there but bottlenecked by various decisions, rebar requirement made it also harder choice I assume, but not even enough to be called 1% is a bit disappointing. So Battlemage really has to hit the ground much better. If that keeps being so low, I would assume going beyond Celestial might already be questioned. With AI being the big money pot now, after Crypto dispapearing for GPUs, Intel might see that more important and cut efforts? But they also need it for their APUs so can't abandon it fully anyway. Problem for AMD and Intel probably will be that they will both be fighting for those 12% and not really reach at Nvidia's part of the pie. But Battlemage sounds as though it is coming with some good improvments and maybe AMD has their Zen moment for GPU too. With more handhelds, doing more in that regard should also do something for them, and Intel too. But with Windows on ARM, Nvidia solutions might also come for that.
AMD is worth 272 billion, nVidia 2.931 Trillion. Thats what I mean with room to grow. Intel is now actually worth less than AMD at 129 billion XD Thats how badly they screwed up since the first ZEN processor came out. I don't see Intel shaking up either the CPU or GPU markets. They need a total do-over like AMD had.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Driver maturity and price killed AMD. I’ve owned a few. Will never go back.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
They need more ads like that “join the Radeon Revolution” ad campaign a few years back. Instead of selling their products based on price, performance, and features, they should instead sell the fantasy of fighting against the forces of evil by buying a graphics card from the good guys.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I think AMD makes a fantastic graphics card, from my own experiences with a 5700XT and 7900XT. But Nvidia just keeps pushing forward with new features, while AMD is always playing catch up.

Even when they did put out frame generation, it was for everyone - and Nvidia users made out the best when they were able to combine it with DLSS.

I think it’s bad that we only have one major player, but my next GPU will almost definitely be Nvidia.

Solidus_T

AMD just haven't been competitive in this space, definitely not in terms of feature-set and of late their price/performance has stunk and almost leads me to believe they are colluding with Nvidia in the consumer GPU space.
They certainly are. I'm sure of it. Remember when they quickly adjusted the price of the 5700XT in response to the 20 Super series announcement? Also Lisa Su and Jensen Huang are cousins.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: GHG

GHG

Gold Member
Is Intel dead? Where's the new arc?

No they aren't in the GPU space, far from it. The next rendition will be battlemage and it looks promising so far.

Overall though they still have their training wheels on in this space, so a long way to go. It's more likely they take market share from AMD than they do Nvidia at this point in time.

AMD doesn't need to, have to.. and probably shouldn't even compete on the high end especially when you consider that more than 80% of the entire desktop GPU market sits in the low to mid-range.

What AMD needs to do is to bloody make something competitive and stop ignoring or shoehorning every obvious GPU advancement made in the last 6 years. Instead choosing to stick to obviously archaic GPU principles and architectures.

The only respectable things AMD has done in the GPU space in the last 10 years has been (1) infinity cache (and even that was just because they wanted to use cheaper RAM) and (2) decoupling FG from FR.

They have pretty much lagged behind in everything else.
AMD has also been focusing on the wrong aspects. The time they put into frame generation should've been put towards improving their temporal upscaling solution. Frame generation is nice, but that only improves perceived smoothness, not so much actual performance. FSR 3.1 supposedly should be out this quarter, but we've yet to see it on actual games.

Mr.Phoenix

AMD has also been focusing on the wrong aspects. The time they put into frame generation should've been put towards improving their temporal upscaling solution. Frame generation is nice, but that only improves perceived smoothness, not so much actual performance. FSR 3.1 supposedly should be out this quarter, but we've yet to see it on actual games.
Agreed. As it stands, AMD could very well have taken a year or two off GPUs in general to get their tech right after they released RDNA1 GPUs.

They can't do much else about their temporal upscaling without actually building AI units into their GPUs. Its been that simple. After RDNA1, so this is basically since around 2020, it should have been obvious that their next push should be better RT and AI units for reconstruction and all the other benefits that could bring. They could literally see Nvidia making a killing with their AI-focused GPUs... and AMD still somehow decided that what the world needed was more raster performance.

And the craziest thing here, the most embarrassing thing, is that with Intels first discrete desktop GPU, they managed to make a GPU with better RT and temporal reconstruction than every single AMD GPU to that point.

Top Bottom