• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oklahoma bill requiring men to approve all abortions by "hosts" dead in committee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tovarisc

...Oklahoma Legislature on February 8... lawmakers in the House Public Health Committee blocked one anti-abortion bill and a second was tabled without discussion.

It was certainly unusual for a deeply conservative Republican government that over the years has distinguished itself by passing some of the strictest abortion regulations in the country — regardless of whether those measures are unconstitutional, which many certainly are. Since 2011, lawmakers in Oklahoma have passed 20 such measures, a number of which have been blocked by the courts or are tied up in litigation.

If passed as written, the two measures that were slated for consideration on February 8 would almost certainly end up in court as well.

The first, Rep. George Faught’s House Bill 1549, was returning for a second year. Under the measure, a woman would be blocked from aborting a fetus because it has — or is suspected of having — a genetic abnormality, regardless of how early she sought termination. Although the measure made it out of the House in 2016, it languished in the Senate.

But to Chowning and other members of the coalition, it was the second bill, HB 1441, that was even more disturbing, devoid of any nuance and completely unconstitutional. Written by another of the chamber’s freshmen, Rep. Justin Humphrey, the legislation would require a woman seeking an abortion first to obtain written permission from her sexual partner. It would also require her to provide his name to her doctor and would forestall the procedure if the man wanted the opportunity to challenge paternity.

The U.S. Supreme Court struck down a similar provision in 1992.

It was with all this in mind that Chowning set off on her Capitol rounds. Five of the eight lawmakers sitting on the Public Health Committee are freshmen; only two members are Democrats and only one is a woman — a freshman Republican. Chowning was eager to talk, hoping the OCRJ might find new allies.

Of all the bills filed this session, HB 1441 has been most troubling to coalition members, said Speidel. “This one, by far, was the one that bothered us the most,” she said. “There were a lot of feelings about it. In a state that doesn’t really spend a lot of time on domestic violence issues it really just showed ignorance regarding what relationships can be for some women.”

Ultimately, he said, his intent was to let men have a say. “I believe one of the breakdowns in our society is that we have excluded the man out of all of these types of decisions,” he said. “I understand that they feel like that is their body,” he said of women. “I feel like it is a separate — what I call them is, is you’re a ‘host.’ And you know when you enter into a relationship you’re going to be that host and so, you know, if you pre-know that then take all precautions and don’t get pregnant,” he explained. “So that’s where I’m at. I’m like, hey, your body is your body and be responsible with it. But after you’re irresponsible then don’t claim, well, I can just go and do this with another body, when you’re the host and you invited that in.”

Indeed, according to the Guttmacher Institute, Oklahoma ranks second behind Louisiana for the sheer number of abortion restrictions passed since 1973, the year the Supreme Court decided Roe v. Wade. Since 2011, the CRR has taken the state to court eight times. Of the cases that have been resolved, the CRR has a 100 percent win record.

When talking to lawmakers about issues of reproductive justice, Speidel grounds her arguments in her faith. “I say to them, it is immoral and anti-Christian to pass restriction after restriction after restriction and then to do nothing to support women and families in this state,” she said. “If you really want to make abortions be gone, then do everything possible to provide birth control, to have comprehensive sex education and, more importantly, to make sure there are programs in place that are going to help women and families.”

Source of long article: https://theintercept.com/2017/02/13/oklahoma-lawmakers-want-men-to-approve-all-abortions/

Flux

First thing to my mind: Westworld.

This is awful and completely unfair to women. The republican obsession with pregnancy rivals only Trump to his daughters.

Good to know that even after thousands of years of human civilization women are still nothing more than walking incubators.

the legislation would require a woman seeking an abortion first to obtain written permission from her sexual partner. It would also require her to provide his name to her doctor and would forestall the procedure if the man wanted the opportunity to challenge paternity.

And if the woman doesn't know who the sexual partner was if she were raped or unconscious, nothing for that?

Again with this shit.

No doubt they will soon introduce legislation that will make men the sole custodian in all divorce proceedings and forbid fathers from remarrying so that they have the full and complete experience of child-rearing.

Jakoo

giphy.gif

Oklahoma, after the next dust bowl.

pashmilla

Banned
Excluding men from decisions that concern a woman's right to autonomy over her own body? Say it ain't so!

Can we like make it a rule that guys are no longer allowed to make abortion legislation. Anti-choice women are still trash but it would at least be a start.

Keasar

”I feel like it is a separate — what I call them is, is you're a ‘host.' And you know when you enter into a relationship you're going to be that host and so, you know, if you pre-know that then take all precautions and don't get pregnant," he explained.

tenor.gif

I have a seething hatred for these people and am so glad I live in a country of fucking decent rationality a Atlantic ocean away from them...

ItIsOkBro

republicans are getting too bold with their legislation, usually you have to read between the lines to figure out how they really feel.

Sulik2

I don't even... Women are hosts? Really? I'm not even sure how to express how angry viewing women as incubators make me feel. The French Revolution comes to mind.

First thing to my mind: Westworld.

This is awful and completely unfair to women. The republican obsession with pregnancy rivals only Trump to his daughters.
I would respect that if they were consistent with that obsession once the baby was born because right now once it's out they couldn't give a shit about providing for him/her health care, education, housing, etc.

Sunster

I'm trying to think of a situation where forcing my wife to have a child with or without severe complications would not make me a monster...

...nope. it's terrible. always.

Slayven

Isn't Oklahoma the stata where the Governor let her daughter part her trailer on the Governor's mansion's lawn?

TheChaos0

Don't understand how these people keep coming up with these sort of insane legislations. Surely they can't be that narrow minded?
evil

Don't understand how these people keep coming up with these sort of insane legislations. Surely they can't be that narrow minded?
evil

It's what gets them votes. Sharia law is a joke compared to the GOP in some aspects. They get votes even from women who vote to become sperm hosts. No burqa needed, no stonings, no beheadings, no whiplashes...Radical islamists must be jealous af.

I understand that they feel like that is their body,” he said of women. “I feel like it is a separate — what I call them is, is you’re a ‘host.’ And you know when you enter into a relationship you’re going to be that host and so, you know, if you pre-know that then take all precautions and don’t get pregnant,” he explained.

38447.jpg

Smellycat

Wait, you guys think it is ok for women to seek abortions without the consent of their partners? This isn't a game....

The bill verbiage is pretty backwards, but the concept of requiring a couple (in normal circumstances) consenting to an abortion seems like common sense to me.

Wait, you guys think it is ok for women to seek abortions without the consent of their partners? This isn't a game....

The bill verbiage is pretty backwards, but the concept of requiring a couple (in normal circumstances) consenting to an abortion seems like common sense to me.

What the hell are normal circumstances? How do you define them and, more importantly, how do you prove that they are present?

A woman should never have to obtain consent from a sexual partner when making a major medical decision. Men don't have to go through the ordeal of pregnancy and childbirth so no, we don't get a say.

Gotchaye

You think that a woman's partner should be able to force her to carry a pregnancy to term? Like, what do you think should happen when the woman wants an abortion and the man doesn't want her to get one?

Of course, the bill is going even further than that, since it would give this sort of veto power to just any man who happens to get a woman pregnant. We're not necessarily talking about "couples".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom