• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Only surviving Charlie Hebdo cartoonist, Renald Luzier, announces departure

Status
Not open for further replies.

DOWN

Banned
Running late on the morning of the Charlie Hebdo attacks, Renald Luzier survived to draw the very next cover, depicting Mohammed, for the magazine after the attack. The other 5 cartoonists were killed among the total of 12 dead. He has announced his departure from the paper:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/19/europe/charlie-hebdo-cartoonist-luz-leaving/index.html
Luzier, who draws under the pen name Luz, said in an interview with French newspaper Liberation that continuing to work at Charlie Hebdo had become "too much to bear."

"There was hardly anyone left to draw," he said in the interview published on the newspaper's website late Monday. "I found myself doing three front pages out of four."

When the first issue after the killings came out, Luzier said he felt a sense of "catharsis" after drawing the cartoon. But last month, he said he would no longer draw the prophet, explaining that he "got tired of him."
Luzier, 43, told Liberation that the decision to leave was "very personal" and that he wanted "to rebuild myself, to regain control of my life."

"Finishing each edition is torture because the others are gone. Spending sleepless nights summoning the dead, wondering what Charb, Cabu, Honore, (and) Tignous would have done is exhausting," he said, referring to some of his murdered colleagues.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
That's dark :( working on the paper after your colleagues were all murdered for it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom