• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paradox Announces life-sim "Life By You" is Cancelled

Draugoth

Gold Member
Paradox-Interactive-logo.jpg

Hi all, Sadly, we’ve decided to cancel the release of our long-awaited life sim Life by You. This was an incredibly difficult call to make and is a clear failure on Paradox’s part to meet both our own and the community's expectations. We realize this raises some large questions; here we hope to shed at least some light on why we opted to cancel, rather than delay as we communicated earlier. Life by You has been in the works for a long time and we’ve been very excited about the promise and the potential of this game. Our hope was always that it would be able to leave a mark in this exciting and new genre for us. That’s why we’ve opted to delay it twice, to give the studio and the game a fair shot at realizing the potential we saw. For each delay we made, we've seen incremental improvements, which in hindsight may well have led us to focus on details rather than the whole picture.

Last edited:

Bluecondor

This sucks, as I was really looking forward to this game. It was supposed to release in early access the first week of June.

On the other hand, I respect Paradox for being open and up front about pulling the plug on the game. This statement is just straight-up honest: “When we come to a point where we believe that more time will not get us close enough to a version we would be satisfied with, then we believe it is better to stop...”

It's impressive to see a company deciding to end development/never release a bad game that has too many flaws, even after investing a considerable amount of development time and money on it.

Puscifer

That's unfortunate. Honestly though, how hard can it be to simply redo The Sims but with less bullshit?
You can't now. I once said they should make the base game free because of the amount of expansions and lol it actually happened.

Last edited:

Bridges

Damn, I thought this looked really cool, I guess it was too good to be true.

At least this opens up a lane for Jake Solomon's new Sims-like game

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
That's unfortunate. Honestly though, how hard can it be to simply redo The Sims but with less bullshit?

Clearly hard enough that a team had to cancel the game.

i mean, ever wonder why it takes so long for The Sims to roll out each game?

That should show its likely not a simple thing, even harder for a team with little experience in that area.

Comandr

Honestly? Good. Life by You seemed mechanically flawed from the beginning. I think after all of the Sims 5 stuff we have seen so far, the writing was on the wall that it was just going to be everything that Life by You wanted to be, but better in every conceivable way. Better to just cancel it now than rope everyone in with a broken early access, slow and meager updates for a few years before finally just being cancelled anyway.

The Sims, is, by its nature, a doll house. You make your dolls, give them little back stories, and turn them loose or guide them how you see fit. That doll house premise builds on hundreds of years of imaginative play- and it works. The Sims is also infused with playful comedy. From silly things you can do to wacky reactions and funny blurbs of text. Life by You comes across as very dry by comparison. Never once have I seen the Lifers or whatever they're called have the same kind of fun the Sims do.

It's undeniable that the Sims series has its faults. Predatory monetization, severe bugs dating back years, inflexibility in certain design scenarios. It feel like they took features out of previous sims games so they could re-sell them to you down the road in broken pieces, like The Sims 3 Pets introducing cats, dogs, horses and small animals like lizards and birds. Now in TS4 that one expansion pack has been broken up into THREE.

That said, the amount of support - both from the publisher/developer and the player base is also undeniable.

Life by You had a poor art direction - the kind of garish hyper realism that never ages well, and a poor concept. It feels like the core game was built around the idea of "It's the sims, but you can freely control anyone in an open world!" .. But that's not the doll house. I don't necessarily want to "drive" my dolls. It's a neat gimmick but centering the gameplay around like.. me taking control of a character and clicking on okay buy this shirt okay clock into work okay push this guy into the pool - just going through all the mundane actions myself? That's not that fun.

I dunno. I'm all for competition - I think that healthy competition pushes all of the competitors forward. I just don't believe that Life by You was ever going to be a competitor for The Sims. The numerous delays and now cancellation prove that the publisher felt the same way.

Last edited:

AzekZero

I dunno. I'm all for competition - I think that healthy competition pushes all of the competitors forward. I just don't believe that Life by You was ever going to be a competitor for The Sims. The numerous delays and now cancellation prove that the publisher felt the same way.
I think its important to not blindly praise anyone who tries to break into a monopoly. Sometimes the incumbent is dominant for good reasons and you gotta begrudgingly respect them.

Roni

Gold Member
That CEO sounds furious... I know, it may not read like it. But I've been around corpo speak long enough to tell. Someone will (or at least, should) be getting the ax: depends on how high up the chain the screw up happened.

Last edited:

Dazraell

Gold Member
They probably got Bloodlines 2 flashbacks and instead of rebooting from the ground up they opted for cancelling it instead

xrnzaaas

The Sims is kinda like GTA. Seems like a great prospect to release a competitor to the existing IP that will sell millions of copies, but it turns out it's not that easy to make one, at least on a similar level.

MonkD

That CEO sounds furious... I know, it may not read like it. But I've been around corpo speak long enough to tell. Someone will (or at least, should) be getting the ax: depends on how high up the chain the screw up happened.
He is. The studio was nowhere close to delivering a product that could be sold.

With development costs today you'll have to keep your studios on a short leash unfortunately. Otherwise they'll bleed you dry and you'll end up in a situation like this. Gaming will end up having all development going through India soon enough

SHA

All closed studios shall be replaced with newer ideas, screw older ideas, it's the right time to make something completely different, we don't want sequels, rehashed or even the "re" idea itself, this is the future of video games in this mean time unfortunately.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

This sucks, as I was really looking forward to this game. It was supposed to release in early access the first week of June.

On the other hand, I respect Paradox for being open and up front about pulling the plug on the game. This statement is just straight-up honest: “When we come to a point where we believe that more time will not get us close enough to a version we would be satisfied with, then we believe it is better to stop...”

It's impressive to see a company deciding to end development/never release a bad game that has too many flaws, even after investing a considerable amount of development time and money on it.
Kinda like Sony and Factions 2.

Mowcno

True. They had maybe the best launch possible with ck3, and yet it seems they have dropped the ball with that ip atm. Its as if they dont even care.
CK3 and AOW4 were good launches. I love Paradox games in general but they keep pumping out subpar dlc and CS2, Lamplighters League and this all in the past year. I hope they're going to be ok and sort their act out.

I'd add Star Trek Infinite to the list of fails but I doubt that really hurt them at all considering it's basically just a stellaris reskin and probably cost peanuts.

Killer8

It looked like shit since the first trailer.

The Sims is still waiting for its Cities: Skylines caliber replacement.

Top Bottom