• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantasy Star Online 2 timed exclusive for Windows Store.

Holammer

PSO2 for PC is getting a release at the end of May, but there seems to be some sort of Window Store exclusivity. This is not a big surprise as there haven't been much PC news and no Store page on Steam, which is usually a sign of exclusive chicanery. Personally I don't care (I have Bloons Monkey City), but it seems like a stupid decision for Sega, especially now when people are cooped up at home. However, the decision and deal is probably several months old.

Faithless83

Banned
Likely due to MS helping to bring this to the west?
I'm not sure how they helped, but it's likely that a deal took place.
I'm glad we have this afterall. I've bought a vita for PSO2. LOL

lyan

Make sense when Sega had long decided not to bother with a Western release until MS stepped in.

Havoc2049

Without Microsoft, this game wouldn't even be seeing a release in the West. Microsoft is providing the infrastructure for PSO2 with Azure (I think even in Japan now).

The thirst is there. The closed beta on the the XB1 got slammed with tons of traffic, which even seemed to surprise Sega and Microsoft. PSO/PSU has always done well on the Xbox. The PSO Ep. I&II community on the OG Xbox was healthy and the largest PSU community in the West was on the X360. The PSU X360 servers in the West stayed on for several years after the servers were shut down on PC and PS2 (due to a small and dwindling player base).

Between the XB1 and PC (even with the Microsoft exclusivity), PSO2 should do fairly well. Another bonus; if a person is fairly fluent in English and has a fast internet connection, people outside of North America can log in and play PSO2. A bunch of people from Europe and South America were playing the beta. The community should be fairly healthy.

phantasy-star-online-2-7.jpg

Last edited:

Wonko_C

Since the Xbox One version directly links to your Xbox account (instead of having to sign-up for a Sega account like in the JP version), I'm fearing the Steam version won't have crossplay support unless they somehow let us login with our Xbox account. How will that affect crossplay with the as-of-yet unnanounced PS4 version? Doesn't look good.

Last edited:

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Since the Xbox One version directly links to your Xbox account (instead of having to sign-up for a Sega account like in the JP version), I'm fearing the Steam version won't have crossplay support unless they somehow let us login with our Xbox account. How will that affect crossplay with the as-of-yet unnanounced PS4 version? Doesn't look good.

Halo: Master Chief Collections is on Steam and links to your Xbox account. I think maybe Gears 5, too. No problem there.

GHG

Halo: Master Chief Collections is on Steam and links to your Xbox account. I think maybe Gears 5, too. No problem there.

Gears 5 also links, tried it out on Steam last week during the free week. Ran better than the windows store version for me as well.

However campaign data didn't sync for me between the windows store version and the steam version for some reason so I had to start a new campaign.

Wonko_C

That's good to know. My only experience with an Xbox game on Steam is Killer Instinct and eventhough it has crossplay, you can't directly invite your Xbox friends in that game.

Top Bottom