• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation is skipping Gamescom again this year

Draugoth

Gold Member
2UYG4JZSEBERJMVI72IYKTYEPM.jpg

Sony Interactive Entertainment has reportedly decided not to attend Gamescom 2024.

In recent years the company has opted to showcase its games through its own digital events, rather than host conferences or have a significant physical presence at major industry conventions like the expo in Cologne, Germany, which comes at a considerable expense.

Source

Last edited:
2UYG4JZSEBERJMVI72IYKTYEPM.jpg

Sony Interactive Entertainment has reportedly decided not to attend Gamescom 2024.

In recent years the company has opted to showcase its games through its own digital events, rather than host conferences or have a significant physical presence at major industry conventions like the expo in Cologne, Germany, which comes at a considerable expense.

Source
No Nintendo or Sony this year. Gamescom will be so boring

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Sony seems to have given up on big showcases and just resorted to shitting out bland State of Plays. Their shift in communication this gen has been very disappointing. I don't mind that they are doing shows closer to their game's releases instead of showing off CG trailers 5 years off, but their strategy as now with all this secrecy is just too much fart sniffing for my taste.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Mainline / Experimental / Support / Fuck Off

Gamescom is in group #4. Makes sense if you're following their current strategy. No changes really.

RCU005

It seems like PlayStation went all in on live service games, but then when many games started getting very bad reception (like Marvel Avengers, Suicide Squad, etc), they went like "Oh shit!" and had to correct course somehow. The fact that even their own live service game is getting mixed to bad reception says it all.

Hopefully, the upside of all this, is that we will get a good constant flow of games on PS6 (if they ever did something to fix it)

Another consequence of all this, is that the PS6 will never have the reception the PS5 had. The PS5 launched when everybody was loving Sony games and wanted more. The PS4 had game after game after game, and many people were just hooked on the hype. While the PS6 could sell good or great, will have a much much slower pace than the PS5 because Sony made a lot of damage when it came to software this gen.

Over It Im Done GIF by Jasmine Masters

remember when Sony was all about hype and first party games ? now we just need to wait for another patetic SoP or Showcase... fuck you Sony
Why so dramatic? lol when the games are ready to show they'll show them. Unlike their competition I'd rather they wait until the game looks great and will be out within a year and not keep showing "in engine" stuff or game we won't be able to play for 2-3 years or in some cases longer.

Last edited:

Hrk69

Gold Member
Why so dramatic? lol when the games are ready to show they'll show them. Unlike their competition I'd rather they wait until the game looks great and will be out within a year and not keep showing "in engine" stuff or game we won't be able to play for 2-3 years or in some
Someone on this forum actually called the Sony output unacceptable

Unacceptable :D

fallingdove

Over It Im Done GIF by Jasmine Masters

remember when Sony was all about hype and first party games ? now we just need to wait for another patetic SoP or Showcase... fuck you Sony
If Sony is planning their big Playstation Pro showcase for September as rumorred, why would they spend the money for an event in Europe a couple of weeks earlier?

Total waste of money and something I would much rather them spend on game development.

This extreme fascination with game announcements over game releases is bizarre.

Last edited:
Because despite E3 dying, people don't seem to have made the realization yet.
With E3 gone, if anything it would make Gamescom more appealing as an alternative major venue to show your lineup to the public. Not the opposite.

Buuuut when you don't really have a substantive lineup for second half of the year, definitely makes sense to skip.

Last edited:

Perrott

Attending GamesCom doesn't mean shit to anyone other than the attendees of the convention.

Sony pretty much always has some sort of presence at Geoff Keighley events though, so expect them to still show up at Opening Night Live in some capacity, regardless of the fact that they're not attending the actual convention.

Lokaum D+

Why so dramatic? lol when the games are ready to show they'll show them. Unlike their competition I'd rather they wait until the game looks great and will be out within a year and not keep showing "in engine" stuff or game we won't be able to play for 2-3 years or in some
well, thats you, i didnt pay U$499 for a multiplat machine, if i wanted a multplat machine i would've bought a Xbox. I bought a PS5 for first party exclusives and guess what ? we are 4 and half year into this gen and we have nothing ( first party related ) to be hyped for, if wasn't for Sony moneyhating a lot of third party devs we would be in a worst situation that PS3 was in the beginning of its life cycle.

About showing "in engine" stuff this is the annoucement of GoW 2018

it was 2 years of waiting and pure hype, thats part of gaming too, not that shadowdrop shit that has being happening nowadays.

Last edited:

JimRyanGOAT

It’s okay we’ll get a 40 minute SOP in September to make up for this
my brother in Christ even when they reveal them in 2025 you’ll still wait 2 years

This isn’t even 4-5 years to make games anymore excuse, this is just confusion

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
With E3 gone, if anything it would make Gamescom more appealing as an alternative major venue to show your lineup to the public. Not the opposite.

Buuuut when you don't really have a substantive lineup for second half of the year, definitely makes sense to skip.

Sony has skipped both for years. Big companies like being able to choose where they show up. When they show up. Not being beholden to deadlines other than their own. Not having to fit into a timeslot. Not spending many millions to set up booths that are competing with other companies for time spent.

Don't be surprised if Gamescom is the next casualty.

Last edited:

Matsuchezz

Didn't Sony announced they would not show or release any first party title until 2025, I believe they did, and here people are reacting all shocked, they deliberately announced that.

Lilseb561

Neo Member
I think Sony has plenty to show. Their studios have been working on stuff for years, so they are due for a big year or showcase for 1st party games. They just need to be a lot better with communication. They don't need to be super transparent but they can't go absolutely radio silent either. Nintendo is private too but even they communicate way better and give us proper showcases.

Lokaum D+

If Sony is planning their big Playstation Pro showcase for September as rumorred, why would they spend the money for an event in Europe a couple of weeks earlier?

Total waste of money and something I would much rather them spend on game development.

This extreme fascination with game announcements over game releases is bizarre.
what game ? aside from gaas shit and third party moneyhat, what "game development" ? We are 4 and half years into this gen and we know jack, what their big first party studios are working ? there is no hype.

nial

Gold Member
>September Showcase
LFGGGGGGGGGGGGG
>Gran Turismo 8
>The Last of Us Part III
>God of War: Egypt
>Horizon III
>Astro Bot: Rescue Mission 2
>Gravity Rush 2 Remastered
>Mister Mosquito 3
>Doko Demo Issyo 4
>Boku no Natsuyasumi 5
>Uncharted 5
>Ape Escape Academy 3
>Blood+ Souyoko no Battle Rondo 2
>Crime Crackers 3
>Motor Toon Grand Prix 3
>Marvel's Spider-Man: Venom
>Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction Remake
>No Heroes Allowed! PS5
>NEW Everybody's Golf 2
>Everybody's Golf VR2
>Déraciné 2
>Helldivers 3
>Fairgame$
>Lost Soul Aside
>Convallaria
>Marvel's Wolverine
>LocoRoco 3
>Patapon 4
>Gunparade March Remake
>Gunparade Orchestra Trilogy
>Days Gone Director's Cut
>Death Stranding 2: On the Beach
>Physint
>Destiny 3
>Marathon
>LEGO Horizon Adventures
>Until Dawn
>Trick×Logic Season 3

Last edited:
Sony has skipped both for years. Big companies like being able to choose where they show up. When they show up. Not being beholden to deadlines other than their own. Not having to fit into a timeslot. Not spending many millions to set up booths that are competing with other companies for time spent.

Don't be surprised if Gamescom is the next casualty.
Gamescom is safe. It’s hugely popular and is open to the public.

Your points are valid, but the opportunity to exhibit at the world’s largest convention with that built-in attendance in the hundreds of thousands is still something valuable that can’t be replaced with a digital-only showcase.

But like I said, when you don’t have the lineup there’s no benefit to going.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
Gamescom is safe. It’s hugely popular and is open to the public.

Your points are valid, but the opportunity to exhibit at the world’s largest convention with that built-in attendance in the hundreds of thousands is still something valuable that can’t be replaced with a digital-only showcase.

But like I said, when you don’t have the lineup there’s no benefit to going.

Yet Sony has skipped them regardless of lineup. I also remember how "safe" E3 was. That Nintendo was crazy for distancing themselves. How Sony was crazy for doing it, too. How they left the door wide open for Xbox. Then E3 died and people suddenly weren't surprised. E3 was opened up to the public as well. That didn't save it. Some argued it made it worse.

Top Bottom