• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Plus Essential Games for June: SpongeBob Squarepants: The Cosmic Shake, Streets of Rage 4 and AEW Fight Forever

Draugoth

Gold Member
50a4cf1269056cd0576176958b58b1c8bde7d9ea.jpg

Monthly Games for June​

(Available for all PlayStation Plus members on June 4 as part of our regular monthly offering)

To start off, here’s the PlayStation Plus Monthly Games lineup for June.

• SpongeBob Squarepants: The Cosmic Shake
  • AEW Fight Forever
  • Streets of Rage 4

Source

Last edited:

SCB3

Spongebob seemed fine for kids or if you liked the remaster of Bikini Bottom, Streets of Rage 4 is great, AEW is fucking god awful and I wasted £60 on it

Blindy

Whatever month for me, already own Cosmic Shake and Streets of Rage 4(For XBOX). No real interest in AEW Fight Forever but that's the lone game here for me.

Cosmic Shake is solid and SOR4 is fantastic though.

Xtib81

Can't remember the last time I was interested in one of their free games. Terrible selection after terrible selection.

Last edited:

LordCBH

Tomb Raider Legends, Sly Cooper, and Star Wars: The Clone Wars on Premium.

Hot damn.

Fuck yeah PS2 games are finally coming back! Hopefully they can get the PS2 ratchets up there, and hopefully new versions of the Jak games that don’t run like a 700 pound land whale in the heat

diffusionx

Gold Member
Did Sony fix the PS2 emulator in PS5? I heard it's all screwed up.

Spongebob seemed fine for kids or if you liked the remaster of Bikini Bottom, Streets of Rage 4 is great, AEW is fucking god awful and I wasted £60 on it
Noooooo....cosmic shake is really bad compared to bfbb. It's a total skip. Even for kids, it's not funny and boring.

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
It was always different for each game, especially when playing on PS5 BC. Stuff like Ape Escape 2 was completely broken, while other games like Rogue Galaxy were generally fine.
This should be a new emulator, anyway, so we have to see how well it does.

We all know SOR4 Is amazeballs and one of the best modern beat em ups,but, if you've played it to death (like me) and want/are in the mood for another good side scrolling beat 'em up, The Takeover is right up there with the best - it might look janky and leave you with a bad impression at first (the menus are horrible as is the soundmix, no vibration function etc) but G'damn if the gameplay isn't awesome, plus, it features 2 stages/minigames lifted straight up from the 90's 3D Sega golden era (car chasing and Afterburner).
Also : the OST is banger after banger, really nice stuff !

Got it a couple of days ago and can't stop playing it

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Streets of Rage 4 was great, I played it thanks to Game Pass, very casually since I'm not heavy into fighting games in general. Thankfully there's a ton of difficulty levels to pick from.

Kupfer

I won't miss my expiring subscription next month

doctor who GIF

It was fun for a few years, but lately it just sucks. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

Kerotan

Noooooo....cosmic shake is really bad compared to bfbb. It's a total skip. Even for kids, it's not funny and boring.
This isn't an emulator. It's what they do with some ps1/psp games where they natively port them to PS4/5 with a few upgrades.

The worst month is the one they supposedly have their conference / State of Play?

Something's weird...i'd bet something bigger is coming they haven't announced yet but who knows.

tmlDan

Nothing for me this month in essential, but the other announcements got me more excited, like PSVR2 games and classics

Lupin25

Yup.

Seems like if you want good extra games you’ll have to pay extra prices too on subscriptions. The mid-tier is the focus to “compete” with XGP.

Edit: and how tf isn’t TLOU 1 Remake in the catalog yet? Insane.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

I'm pretty sure I already have SoR4 and I don't think I bought it, did it come free through some other promotion service at some point?

Glad someone else feels the same way as me, I never played the original BFBB and fucking loved the remake, tweaked the graphics via ini and made it look absolutely sublime. Had great fun 100%ing it.

I was so excited for TCS and I think I spent longer fixing the graphics than actually playing the game, what a letdown.... somehow they managed to offer way worse image quality by default than BBFB so now I wasn't tweaking it to make it pedant-perfect and remove effects I disliked I had to edit ini files just to make it not a blurry mess. Ended being a big waste of time as well which was so frustrating 🙃

I stopped on the film set level, it was just a subpar game, right below swimming in 7 level, couldn't bear to drag myself through it.

Last edited:
Why does it feel like this games (and most of the other month's games too) have already been on the service in some way or another? Sometimes it feels like games jump from being free from one tier to another (or maybe I am combining also with Gamepass)

Fbh

Terrible month.
I mean streets of rage is pretty good but also pretty old at this point.
The rest is terrible

Yup.

Seems like if you want good extra games you’ll have to pay extra prices too on subscriptions. The mid-tier is the focus to “compete” with XGP.

Edit: and how tf isn’t TLOU 1 Remake in the catalog yet? Insane.

Extra, the mid tier, has been pretty shitty as of late too.
This month the highlight is Red Dead 2...which had already been on the service when it was cheaper.

The best month by far this year has actually been on the Essential tier: Back in January when we got Plague Tale Requiem, Evil West and Nobody Saves the World.

Top Bottom