• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Stars goes offline during Sony’s Days of Play event

Kilau

ps-stars-error.jpg

I noticed this last night but when it was still down this morning, I went looking for news and yes it appears to be down for everyone. I've enjoyed the program so I hope it's fixed soon.

Many PlayStation Stars campaigns have become completely inaccessible to subscribers of Sony's loyalty scheme after PlayStation Stars went offline in early June 2024. The timing of this recent upset couldn't be worse as many players are currently trying to take part in Sony's massive Days of Play event.

PlayStation Stars is currently inaccessible on the PS App​

PS App users have reported that the PlayStation Stars section of the app has suddenly become unavailable — a claim that has been verified by ourselves here at TrueTrophies (see embedded screenshot below). When attempting to check the latest PlayStation Stars campaigns, users will receive an error message that reads "Something went wrong. Try again later."
The section of the official PlayStation website that would offer users the opportunity to check their PlayStation Stars points and account level has also completely disappeared. This suggests that the issue is affecting PlayStation Stars itself and not the PS App, which is seemingly otherwise functioning normally.

On Reddit, some users are reporting that the PS Stars section of the PS App has disappeared for them entirely. Others report being erroneously shown a signup page upon opening the PS Stars section. One user (screenshot embedded below) reported the issue to Sony directly via PlayStation Support and was seemingly told that they were "not a member of PS Stars" despite being a Level 4 subscriber with access to Sony's priority support.
Given the time-limited availability of the PlayStation Stars Days of Play 2024 campaigns, these issues could not have come at a worse time for PS Stars subscribers. Many of the campaigns are set to expire on Wednesday, June 12, 2024, leaving users with a very short window with which to claim their bonus rewards. Since some of these rewards are tied to PS Store purchases, this could also cause real headaches for Sony if not fixed soon.

We'll keep an eye on the issues affecting PlayStation Stars as they develop and let you know when you might expect the service to be online once again. Sadly, this issue also means you won't be able to claim those PlayStation Stars enamel pins for the time being. Let us know if you're experiencing any further issues with PS Stars down in the comments below.

Skifi28

Gold Member
Yeah this is really annoying. I had 20 euros saved in points and just as I was about to convert to buy something now it's dead.

What is Playstation Stars?
Basically a fidelity program with a cashback system. Any purchase you make give you points that can be exchanged for goods and wallet funds. Nothing crazy but it is a plus for anyone who has a playstation. The points do expire in 48 months if not spent though.

Hasn't been working properly for me lately. Campaigns are started but won't register
I hate that campaigns for buying games generally start when said game is already out and aren't retroactive if you bought the game through a pre-order or before the campaign was launched. If they don't to change to work retroactively, they should launch the campaign as soon as some games are purchasable. Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, Granblue Fantasy Relink, Helldivers 2, Stellar Blade, all these purchases didn't count towards their campaign for me and it feels like trash because I'd get some juicy points from everything.

Last edited:

jm89

Did they forget about it or something?

AFAIK there hasnt been any comms from sony which is wierd.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

ReBurn

Gold Member
This reminds me that I have points I can spend. I buy games and get the notification then I forget about it.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Basically a fidelity program with a cashback system. Any purchase you make give you points that can be exchanged for goods and wallet funds. Nothing crazy but it is a plus for anyone who has a playstation. The points do expire in 48 months if not spent though.

And this cashback program just happened to shut down at their biggest sale of the year.

Not suspect at all.

Awkward Season 4 GIF by The Office

Last edited:

Cohetedor

And now the stars program seems to be completely removed from the PlayStation app. I had enough points for a five dollar credit too, it's seriously a dick move if they discontinued it without warning.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
And now the stars program seems to be completely removed from the PlayStation app. I had enough points for a five dollar credit too, it's seriously a dick move if they discontinued it without warning.
I had about $10 worth too. Pretty dodgey.

I do suspect it’s an actual issue though. They had challenges in it that were literally still running when it was up.

adamsapple

The support can't guarantee if people buying in this downtime will get points for it retroactively.

There is a problem with PS Rewards. Also, during the problem, we cannot guarantee that reward points will be awarded.

And this cashback program just happened to shut down at their biggest sale of the year.

Not suspect at all.

Awkward Season 4 GIF by The Office

C'mon Adam, it's just the usual Rewards fuckery - this happened again during Xmas where most people received their points...1-2 weeks after buying games during the Xmas sale.
Besides, it also happens frequently with the various monthly challenges where sometimes they don't get unlocked immediately.

There's nothing nefarious behind it, it's just that everything online-related by Sony is held together by fookin' tape...

This is the same company that
A) doesn't allow account migration if you happen to change countries, B) You still have to wait until your sub lapses to be able to buy a game that you redeemed previously via Plus/Extra (lol) and C) There's still problems with various game licenses depending on the version you bought from the store.

Sony, for all intents and purposes is still years behind other companies when it comes to online services.

Something has to change but...yeah

Last edited:

adamsapple

C'mon Adam, it's just the usual Rewards fuckery - this happened again during Xmas where most people received their points...1-2 weeks after buying games during the Xmas sale.
Besides, it also happens frequently with the various monthly challenges where sometimes they don't get unlocked immediately.

There's nothing nefarious behind it, it's just that everything online-related by Sony is held together by fookin' tape...

A) doesn't allow account migration if you happen to change countries, B) You still have to wait until your sub lapses to be able to buy a game that you redeemed previously via Plus/Extra (lol) and C) There's still problems with various game licenses depending on the version you bought from the store.

Sony, for all intents and purposes is still years behind other companies when it comes to online services.

I want to believe there's no intentional malice behind it but the next couple of days will be interesting to see in that 1/ if the 'issue' is resolved shortly after Days of Play ends (tonight is the last night iirc) and 2/ if we're still reading tweets from people bitching about not getting their reward points.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

I get the same rewards issues from Capital One to Shell gas. Rewards programs are always fubar.

Mr Moose

I want to believe there's no intentional malice behind it but the next couple of days will be interesting to see in that 1/ if the 'issue' is resolved shortly after Days of Play ends (tonight is the last night iirc) and 2/ if we're still reading tweets from people bitching about not getting their reward points.
I've just checked, completed rewards stuff on the 6th (and I think after too but I clicked it and it disappeared from the notifications tab).

Skifi28

Gold Member
I'd really like to know what actually happened for the service to be offline for 10+ days. Other than Sony intentionally wanting to kill it off, the only other thing I can think of is Godzilla coming ashore and trampling on the building the servers were housed in.

Top Bottom