• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Politco: Mattis, Pompeo stunned by CIA 'black sites' report

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripon

Two of the officials who will be in charge of carrying out President Donald Trump's terrorism detainee policies, Defense Secretary James Mattis and CIA Director Mike Pompeo, were “blindsided” by reports of a draft executive order that would require the CIA to reconsider using interrogation techniques that some consider torture, according to sources with knowledge of their thinking.

Lawmakers in both parties denounced the draft order on Wednesday even as White House press secretary Sean Spicer said he had “no idea where it came from” and that it is “not a White House document.”

The document, obtained and published by The New York Times and Washington Post, calls for the director of national intelligence to review whether to bring back the CIA’s infamous black-site prisons. Those were secret overseas facilities where the CIA carried out brutal interrogations of terrorism suspects from 2001 to 2006, as documented in the Senate Intelligence Committee's 2014 investigation into the issue.

The draft order says terrorism suspects in U.S. custody will not be subject to "torture" or “degrading treatment.” But it characterizes a 2016 law barring torture as "a significant statutory barrier" and would revoke an executive order signed by President Barack Obama stating that suspects must be treated in compliance with international law.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/01/torture-mattis-pompeo-defense-234180

Jarmel

Banned
Didn't Pompeo just say in the past couple of weeks that he didn't expect Trump to even ask him to torture suspects?

Trump only listens to himself and his inner circle like Kushner and Bannon etc.

Everyone else is on the outside.
I'm sorry to tell you, but it's even worse than you think
Inside the West Wing, it is almost impossible for some aides to know what is in the executive orders, staffers say. They have been written by Stephen Miller, Trump’s senior White House adviser for policy, and Steve Bannon, Trump’s chief strategist, according to people familiar with the matter.
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/01/trumps-flashy-executive-actions-could-run-aground-234200

could be a Bannon misinformation thing to get other things through while people's attention is on this thing... it's what he used Breitbart for, so that wouldn't be new.

I mean: drowning people in bullshit is a Putin's Russian strategy.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
The only good news is that they've crossed the boundary between bravely overconfident and stupidly obvious. I mean we may still be doomed, but at least the eventual history will be black and white.

Burt

On one hand, getting the backlash before the order gets signed might do something to deter it.

On the other hand, I don't think my eye muscles have it left in them at this point to give a fitting enough eyeroll when Spicer starts screaming about the report being FAKE NEWS.

Bannon thinks the executive order is a wishlist and is just pumping out his fantasies without realizing that about 90% of this stuff probably isn't going to take place without some serious blowback

People in the middle East are already circulating ISIS propaganda with Trump saying he would take the oil, while the US has soldiers over there in harm's way. Rachel Maddow played a clip tonight.

People in the middle East are already circulating ISIS propaganda with Trump saying he would take the oil, while the US has soldiers over there in harm's way. Rachel Maddow played a clip tonight.

So with a few words about a Muslim ban and going back for oil, this man has essentially sowed an entire garden of potential for an increased terrorist presence more than likely beyond his own limited expectations. Trump and the people who support him will be learning a hard lesson about why bigotry, xenophobia and a big fucking mouth are not good qualities in a leader

KHarvey16

I gotta wonder how the hell Bannon is able to manipulate Trump so well. I get that Trump ain't too bright but you'd think even he'd be able to see he's getting played like a fiddle.

He compliments his large hands and amazing tan.

So with a few words about a Muslim ban and going back for oil, this man has essentially sowed an entire garden of potential for an increased terrorist presence more than likely beyond his own limited expectations. Trump and the people who support him will be learning a hard lesson about why bigotry, xenophobia and a big fucking mouth are not good qualities in a leader

You're giving their ability to learn too much credit. When a terrorist attack hits the US due to their bullshit, they'll just take it as the war excuse they've been itching for and we'll have Iraq Round 2, now with a cameo by Iran.

I gotta wonder how the hell Bannon is able to manipulate Trump so well. I get that Trump ain't too bright but you'd think even he'd be able to see he's getting played like a fiddle.

Dude literally lies to himself to puff himself up. Bannon only needs to flatter since he's probably already in Trump's good graces as a person who despises brown people just like him. It'd be child's play for anyone let alone a man who's built a company on convincing lies.

Steve Bannon has no regrets.

The ex-Breitbart executive, who serves as Trump's chief strategist for the new administration, told The Hollywood Reporter that "darkness is good."

"Dick Cheney. Darth Vader. Satan. That's power. It only helps us when they (liberals) get it wrong. When they're blind to who we are and what we're doing," he said in an interview published Friday, his first outside of Breitbart since the election.

Just a reminder of who is in control.

Just a reminder of who is in control.

Where is this from?

I guess now we know who's in control.

disciples.jpg

UberTag

I blame the 24 reboot. Trump probably caught a commercial.
Can we get the 24 reboot pulled off the air? I want Corey Hawkins back on The Walking Dead anyhow.

Trump's veiled comments about taking Iraq's oil have undoubtedly resulted in a surge of new recruits flooding into ISIS so they can learn how to hijack planes and fly them into buildings.

He's a "winner"
Trump's ego won't even entertain the idea of being manipulated like a pawn.
Hell, it won't even entertain the idea that he's not the most popular and beloved U.S. President of all-time.

He has permanent blinders up and is just as susceptible to getting influenced and brainwashed by the right-wing media outlets as his supporters are.
He is putty in Bannon's hands.

Many of the executive orders were done in such a way that no one knew about the orders until it happened. It is possible about these two( probably much more) not knowing about them .

BowieZ

Banned
There's two keys to the safety of the nation:

1. Vigorous civil resistance; and

2. Pushback from his own cabinet.

At first I was skeptical of the second, but such reports give me hope.

The funny thing is, normally "keys" are metaphors for unlocking something whereas in this case for our society's safety the keys are to lock away this mofo, in a gold-trimmed oval-shaped black site of his own creation, forced to endure the torture of an endless stream of demoralising criticism on his Blackberry Twitter feed from formerly trusted right-wing outlets sourcing formerly trusted aides from right outside his door.

So Trump's main cabinet is basically a shadowy organization. Damn, this is some fairly revealing news!

Honestly Mattis and Pompeo shouldn't be shocked that Trump tried to do what he did. They should have known better anyway, but apparently they're not very bright.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Are they also part of "I didn't think he was actually going to do what he said" group?

The thing is this is just going to a lead to sick, self-reinforcing loop of fuckery. ISIS et al. get bolder from being fueled off of Trump rhetoric and policy, stage more attacks. Trump convinces the public that "See? You need my tiny YUGE iron fist now more than ever!", enacts more draconian policies and threatens to/actually does attack the Middle East. ISIS et al. get bolder... etc..

It's fucked.

E-Cat

Gold Member
Pompeo was surprised... really? Maybe pleasantly surprised.

After all, this man has gone on record saying shit like "Edward Snowden should be executed" and "torturers are patriots".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom