• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 And Next Xbox Announcements In 2019, PS4/Xbox Sales To Decline, Says NPD Analyst.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
https://gamingbolt.com/ps5-and-next...19-ps4-xbox-sales-to-decline-says-npd-analyst

Recently, GamingBolt had the chance to send across a few questions to NPD analyst Mat Piscatella, where he forecasted 2019 announcements for both the PS5 and the next Xbox. He did, however, also iterated that traditional console life cycles are pretty much done by this point– and that Sony and Microsoft’s next hardware will continue taking the industry in that direction.

“I’m forecasting announcements in 2019 for 2020 launches for both PlayStation 5 and the next Xbox,” Piscatella told GamingBolt. “However, I do think we’ve moved past the traditional generational model. I expect both manufacturers to add features that will further blur these lines.”

Piscatella also foresees sales for PS4 and Xbox One hardware units dropping down in 2019 as they both approach the end of their lives, and believes it’s going to be a transitional year for both companies. “I forecast both PS4 and Xbox One hardware unit sales to decline in the single-digit percentages next year, but more because we’re nearing the latter stages of the cycle, and I don’t anticipate either making drastic moves on price,” he said. “Both systems have done well in the US, but 2019 will likely be a transition year as we move into 2020.”

Last edited:

HeresJohnny

I wonder how old this guy is... with the exception of last gen (which was fucked up in so many ways), most hardware sales pick up at the end of the generation. The PS2 was stomping the PS3 and 360 (and pretty much everything else) the Christmas following launch of the new generation. Maybe I’m misinterpreting what he’s saying, but at face value it sounds like he doesn’t know much about the gaming market’s history and might be basing his predictions off last generation, which is a giant, steaming pile of mistake.

“I’m forecasting announcements in 2019 for 2020 launches for both PlayStation 5 and the next Xbox,” Piscatella told GamingBolt.

I don't think this is too far wrong, to be fair. The PS4 is now 5 years old (announced Feb 2013, launched November 2013). I think we'll see an announcement about the PS5 sometime towards the end of 2019, for a launch in Q2 2020.

Q4 2020 is possible, however, and would mean the PS4 being as old as the PS3 was (7 years) then its successor launched.

I suspect the PS4 / Pro will have a 10 year life cycle and will keep being manufactured until 2024 or so.

Last edited:
Top Bottom