• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSA: Update your drivers!

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Mods if this should be moved to a new thread or just deleted altogether feel free, but I want to send a little message to all those who have recently bought or experiencing weird pc issues. I just purchased a new oled LG 32 monitor and while I love it I started experiencing issues with games and free ups etc I put it down to my installing random shit and that I must have corrupted something with my tweaks. So I rebuilt my pc and on a new built it was still happening! After hours of troubleshooting I discovered that the issue was that my fully functioning oled monitor needed a firmware update! It was working fine so I ignored it but a recent windows update or 4090 driver was having issues I didn’t notice / understand. Now it’s perfect and smooth as ever!

So if you are doing windows updates etc might be a good time to update all your motherboard / drivers / firmwares even on things you deem unnecessary!

Thanks to Hisenburg for helping me a little :)

winjer

PC monitors have firmware updates now? I'm clearly out of the loop.

Yes, some can be upgraded.
You might have received a USB cable, in the monitor box, that connects to your monitor for that exact purpose.
There is also windows drivers, or your specific monitor.
But most important, check if your monitor has an ICC profile, as this can help with color accuracy. Or check RTings for one.

Sleepwalker

Yup, my monitor gets firmware upgrades. Kinda trippy and I can't really be arsed to update it unless something breaks.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Yeah what I found recently is windows updates are adding new features often and some of those can affect your peripherals. In my case I assume that something with the firmware (bug) was causing the frame rate and micro stutters I was having. I wouldn’t buy any new monitor without checking if they can updated anymore. You could be stuck with a problem forever

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
confused-mark-wahlberg-mark-wahlberg.gif

Wait so was the issue the monitors firmware or the Nvidia driver?

Updating BIOS unnecessarily is asking for trouble especially if youve got a gigabyte motherboard (ill never forgive them so will slander them every chance I get).
Video driver updates i do relatively often, but everything else......after that first month or so of teething, I aint touching it.

El Muerto

Had to install a monitor driver in order to enable Freesync for my Acer 165hz monitor. I was lazy and used Driver Booster and it found it and started working after a reboot.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
OLED Tv's get updates, why wouldn't monitors?

Cuz monitors generally do little to no processing.
They effectively do nothing but accept the signal, even Freesync monitors do minimal work compared to the average TV.

Top Bottom