• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PT no longer downloadable in US (and EU/UK) even with license

drotahorror

PuXhRvM.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=po2EaxYlW50

*Slightly shrill for headphone users.

This would have been a perfectly fine disc-based demo in a magazine.

Could you imagine OPM bundling this, without telling people what it was?

There's no way this would exist without digital downloads. It was timed so everyone could get it watching E3, that wouldn't of worked at all with a disc based demo...

Zee-Row

Banned
I wonder if Konami will go after YouTube footage next in an attempt to delete this game from everyone's memory?

KazenY2J

Meanwhile, I can still download the Guilty Gear Xrd demo from months ago after it was removed from the store.

Thanks Konami.

This would have been a perfectly fine disc-based demo in a magazine.

Could you imagine OPM bundling this, without telling people what it was?

That would have only benefitted OPM, and PT would have become even rarer than it is now.

The E3 intro/trailer and instant online availability worldwide was the perfect set up, and the gaming community coming together to have fun while trying to figure it out was the perfect execution - all made possible by the "digital future".

Dunkley

Re-posting myself from the Eurogamer P.T. thread:

Just got it through the PSN Webstore in order to make sure I can play it once I buy a PS4.

To clarify though, P.T. is strangely listed as service under my purchase history. Does that affect anything when it comes to downloading it past the delisting date?

And well, guess there's my answer to that. It's kinda what I assumed will happen, but also what I really was hoping to not turn out true.

I'm really disappointed that I missed my chance to play this.

KyleCross

Can they do that? Isn't it against consumer rights or something? I don't even have a PS4, in fact I have only the X1 for now, but hey, this is bad for all of us who care about good games. This is going too far.

Yes, they can. No, it's not. You pay for a license to use the product and they can take that license away whenever they choose. This isn't only digital products either, your physical discs are a license too which can be revoked, but I doubt a publisher is going to show up at your house and take it from you.

Not sure what everyone thought "will not be available" was supposed to translate to.

It was being delisted, you can still download delisted games. Konami went the extra mile and made Sony pull the source download, which almost no one ever does.

Arkage

Banned
Konami may be run by a bunch of assholes but your point is still spot on in that leaving PT available only creates confusion in the long run.

So remove the ending trailer that was literally the only connection P.T. had to Silent Hills? Knowing Konami has a "rational" is one thing, but claiming it has merit is just milling about playing devil's advocate.

Also, was pleasantly surprised I still have the demo on my PS4.

I wonder if Konami will go after YouTube footage next in an attempt to delete this game from everyone's memory?
I'm sure Konami would send Will Smith And Tommy Lee Jones round to give a lobotomy to every person who ever clapped eyes on P.T. if they could.

Zee-Row

Banned
PS4 emulation is probably 10 years away but do you think hackers could extract the data of this game so that it can one day run on a PS4 emulator?

Good to know. I thought the backup was only meant for save files.

Also, do you think Konami would be low enough in an attempt to convince Sony to somehow auto delete the game from all PS4 hard drives (even ones where it is fully installed)? I mean, something like this is probably technically feasible, right? I doubt Sony would take it seriously, though. If they did, it would set a bad precedent for digital purchases. Or, perhaps even easier, force a patch that renders the game useless.

Dunkley

PS4 emulation is probably 10 years away but do you think hackers could extract the data of this game so that it can one day run on a PS4 emulator?

Unless a man who doesn't dump raises money to buy all the PS4s with P.T. on it, it will eventually happen.

.Anema

Konami needs to die, now! PLEASE DIE KONAMI! DIE!
I will be really happy with their bankruptcy announcement..

JimPanzer

His hypothetical was obviously predicated on gaming magazines still being in circulation. Duh

even if they would be around, the demo wouldn't have reached such an audience as it did through digital distribution. I don't think gaming magazines here in germany would even be allowed to include the demo due to age restrictions.

So remove the ending trailer that was literally the only connection P.T. had to Silent Hills? Knowing Konami has a "rational" is one thing, but claiming it has merit is just milling about playing devil's advocate.

It has merit because that's the status of it; that's the reality we live in. There is no "sans trailer" version of PT. Konami has killed the project and clearly gives zero fucks about the blowback so any effort exerted creating a version less connected to Silent Hill (which is a great idea, btw. seriously.) is easily argued as money that could be used elsewhere.

What I mentioned was only one rationale for them pulling it also; it's completely reasonable (and mentioned in this thread a few times) that having Norman Reedus' likeness touted at the end like that for a project that doesn't exist anymore was untenable for Reedus or whomever represents him, and that pulling the title was a way to handle that.

Tainted

Damn these bellends on Aussie Ebay

5BlakSb.png

These humans are the dregs of society, along with those who scalp tickets at sporting events. Wouldnt surprise me if Sony de-auth P.T. on everyone's consoles if this becomes too widespread

Petrae

This is why i dont do all digital. you never know when a publisher is gonna be like: "Nope! fuck you!" and perma-pull a game on you.

And it will only get worse. Publishers have the upper hand in the Digital Age. "Buying a game" will never be the same as it once was.

Damn these bellends on Aussie Ebay

5BlakSb.png

These humans are the dregs of society, along with those who scalp tickets at sporting events. Wouldnt surprise me if Sony de-auth P.T. on everyone's consoles if this becomes too widespread
Wouldn't you have to leave your account active on that Ps4 though?

toneroni

Damn wish I got to try it out. Day late and dollar short. Sucks that Konami was like my favorite company in the NES era. Bastards...

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I suppose we are all powerless in this situation. I do wish there were some way to negatively impact their business but it ultimately wouldn't do any good. It worked with Microsoft since they actually NEED people to buy into their system. Here though? There's no leverage. :-/

Top Bottom