• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Ravishing" Rick Rude appreciation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
cRl5Ed8.gif

I have fallen down a unexpected Rick Rude youtube hole recently and that guy is probably almost on Macho Man levels of nailing a gimmick and being a all round top notch performer. And being partnered with Bobby Heenan is a perfect combo of cheesy 80's wrestling heel charisma.

His feud with Jake the Snake was legendary.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhphKNs0Kac

That time he was on Regis is hilarious.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jY3cfiRUksE

His cheesy as hell WCW theme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pTLQAOVwBk

That time he threatened to shoot eric bishoff
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOIdORC4eac

Stone Cold talking about being on the road with Rick
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHS2hJMxNmg

Not sure how he isnt in the WWE hall of fame. Maybe just WWE PR wanting to get away from the whole wrestlers dying young due to drug problems stigma. Oh wait.

Anyway, Rick Rude was great.

tumblr_n97q4rmosM1qhcg3xo1_400.gif

Sephzilla

Rick Rude is one of the most underappreciated wrestlers ever. The dude absolutely aced his gimmick, was a solid worker, and the dude was chiseled from fucking stone.

Couleurs

Rick was the first heel I remember liking as a kid, back when he was always making fun of the Big Boss Man's mother. Plus his run in the Dangerous Alliance was great (but then again that whole stable was awesome except for Larry Zbyszko)

Rude is perhaps the greatest promo of all time, and heyman himself learnt a lot from traveling with him. He also had a fantastic look, was great in the ring, great at psychology, had the best managers of all time in his corner (heenan & heyman), and had THREE of the best entrance themes in wrestling - Sade's Smooth Operator with an additional intro at WCCW, the stripper theme at WWF, and Simply Ravishing at WCW.

Remember the time he had JYD tights, and he took them down mid match to reveal cheryl roberts tights? Remember the kathy lee tights on Regis?

Rude was FRIGGING AWESOME.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
He was great and knew his character well. It was just fun to watch him work. I don't feel like he gets the credit he deserves. Maybe Vince hated him personally or something.

He was great and knew his character well. It was just fun to watch him work. I don't feel like he gets the credit he deserves. Maybe Vince hated him personally or something.

It's probably because he left WWF in disgust over the montreal screwjob, so there was that famous night that Rude was on the (pretaped) Raw and Nitro at the same time, which made Vince look like an idiot. He probably still holds a grudge

norm9

That Jake the Snake feud was hardcore as a kid. He runs out and rips off Rick's tights and it gets blurred out on tv. I went nuts!

RS4-

Yeah, Rick Rude was amazing, one of my favorites when I was growing up.

80s and 90s WWF was great to watch.

Probably one of the best wrestlers ever to never be world champion (no, I don't consider the WCW International Big Gold Belt a world championship).

Nairume

Banned
I once took part in a contest about making the most 80's character hero, so I went with a pro wrestler who was kicked out of the WWF after gaining super powers, causing him to travel around with a video crew and a red white and blue white tiger named Whyte Tyger while he beat up super villains on video so he could sell the footage on PPV and home video.

Rick Rude was the foundation because that stache

One of the greatest heels in wrestling history.

According to Bret Hart though in contrast to his ladies man persona he was a committed family man, refused to take his wedding ring off ever, he covered it with tape for his matches.

Striker

He was another guy like Mr. Perfect who was paired with Heenan. While neither guy needed The Brain because both can talk, he managed such big names he had that aura about him and on name alone he puts those guys on the map. He is always talking them up and hypes their potential upcoming feuds to the highest degree.

And that Bischoff/Flair thing in the OP, ugh. One idiot is enough, Flair was something else. Talking about Rude and Von Erich's problems, as if he didn't have his own insecurities.

One of the greatest heels in wrestling history.

According to Bret Hart though in contrast to his ladies man persona he was a committed family man, refused to take his wedding ring off ever, he covered it with tape for his matches.
He was a very Christian man.

He was the ultimate man. The hair, the aesthetics, the stache. He had it all. Best body in wrestling.

And it's a shame he came up as a top heel during a time when Hogan never dropped the belt and only fought monsters of the week. He deserved a good title run, but supposedly he and Hogan had beef? I still contend it should have been him that beat Warrior for the belt not fucking Sgt Slaughter, but I guess the Iraqi sympathizer angle during the height of the gulf war was too good to pass up.

thefro

And it's a shame he came up as a top heel during a time when Hogan never dropped the belt and only fought monsters of the week. He deserved a good title run, but supposedly he and Hogan had beef? I still contend it should have been him that beat Warrior for the belt not fucking Sgt Slaughter, but I guess the Iraqi sympathizer angle during the height of the gulf war was too good to pass up.

Rude legit beat up the Ultimate Warrior backstage, so Hogan was scared to work with him.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
He was phenomenal. As a kid I hated heels and even I knew Rude was amazing. He had it all--the look, the promo ability, the wrestling, etc. One of the greats that deserved a WWF title run. Stupid Hogan.

Showing up on Raw and Nitro on the same night, classic.

His appearance on Regis and Kathy was funny as hell.

Every MMO I play I name my toon Rick Rude.

Dazzler

Honky Tonk Man claimed Rude died after he attempted to inject some form of erectile dysfunction drug into his wang and it went wrong

Pretty outrageous claim to make

Rick Rude sacrificed his career jumping to WCW after the Bret Hart incident.

I have Bret's DVD from 2007 and he gets choked up talking about it.

Showing up on Raw and Nitro on the same night, classic.

This is what I was looking for and to me of all the things was so key to his legacy.

Also I love the story Eric Bischoff tells where Rick called him after the Montreal Screwjob and said "I'm coming back. Not can I come back but I'm coming back."

Great personality. Seeing video of him pre-steroid use is pretty crazy, he's very lean and ripped but not big, looked more like a swimmer.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Cut the music!

What I'd like to have right now is for all you fat, out of shape, internet forum scumbags to keep the noise down while I take my robe off and show the ladies what a reeeaalll sexy man is supposed to look like.

Hit the music!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom