• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Realistic war games

Sausy1987

Need suggestions for realistic shooters. Currently playing Hell let loose, Ready or not and black one blood brothers . Prefer single player . Interested in what arma mods are good & what about single player tarkov? I have Ground branch, Gray zone warfare, Squad, 6 days in fallujah , war of rights & rising storm 2 vietnam wish listed on steam>

_Ex_

Gold Member
If you can stomach the old graphics and deal with the steep learning curve, this is the most realistic "war" experience I've had with any video game:

11688_front.jpg

11688_back.jpg

It was an amazing experience, very difficult to beat, but wholly worth it.

Hudo

Gold Member
If you can stomach the old graphics and deal with the steep learning curve, this is the most realistic "war" experience I've had with any video game:

11688_front.jpg

11688_back.jpg

/thread

Medal of Honor 2010. Mechanically it's more on the casual side but you drop enemies in one to three shots with your M4A1 which feels nice. You're also fighting Al Queda, the Taliban and Chechens. Not to mention it's the only historically accurate game about the war in Afghanistan, give or take a few liberties.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
This is the genre I want to see some developer tackle and conquer the most. Give me Black Hawk Down, Apocalypse Now, Civil War in AAA game format. With big ass COD-style budgets.
Hell, I'll even take Sicario, Heat, anything with intense and realistic shootouts and engaging stories

Last edited:

Griffon

I downloaded dynamic universal war systems & recon version there . Any other mods or paid dlc ye can recommend .

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone .
Yep, Arma is the big one in the genre.

Also if you fancy some bits of multiplayer like Hell Let Loose, look up Squad on Steam, same concept but with current warfare. Very popular too.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
This is the genre I want to see some developer tackle and conquer the most. Give me Black Hawk Down, Apocalypse Now, Civil War in AAA game format. With big ass COD-style budgets.
Hell, I'll even take Sicario, Heat, anything with intense and realistic shootouts and engaging stories

It amazes me we have never gotten a really good take on Vietnam, grabbing inspiration not just from Platoon but stuff like Hamburger Hill and Deer Hunter.

Guilty_AI

Gold Member
which is the one where you can be repeatedly 'killed', but never really shot dead permanently?...
I'm refering to warfare sims - aka spend a lot of time behind cover, only ever see glimpses of your enemy, shot at what might as well be empty space hoping you're hitting something, before dying to an air strike.
vs
Games set in real warzones with lots of close-up explosions that are just far enough no not kill, destruction particles, screams and a mud filter.

Last edited:

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
They're old now, and not milsim in a traditional way, but the first two Brothers in Arms are a good single player experience. The actual combat puzzles being built around fixing an enemy with suppression fire and flanking their position is honestly more real than some sim combat. They've aged, but are still pretty fun. Don't play Hell's Highway, even though it's newer; it's a fucking piece of shit. Fuck Gearbox.

tmlDan

There are barely any tbh, wish we got SOCOM back. It's an empty void out there and i dont really like Arma.

salva

I still do an annual play through of the original ghost recon campaign. Wish they'd go back to the roots for that series, but that'll never happen.
The heros unleashed mod is awesome, so many missions and basically infinite replayability.

Operation flashpoint is also a great one to go back too. I still love that campaign, and yes it's dated but other than arma (obviously) no modern game will ever or has ever come close to what you can do in those games.

If you don't mind extra jank, reforger is pretty damn good. Looks and sounds amazing and the gameplay underneath the jank is amazing.

My most recent realistic/tactical game is ready or not. With the recent updates it's pretty solid.

Ground branch will be amazing once the campaign comes out, but that game been in dev for 10+ years.

CGNoire

11688_front.jpg

11688_back.jpg

Playing this in 2001 was so amazing and so ahead of its time.

CGNoire

I downloaded dynamic universal war systems & recon version there . Any other mods or paid dlc ye can recommend .

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone .
Yep. ARMA with dynamic war mods is so much Intense ass fun. Fell back into it at rhe beginning of the Ukrainian war.

Top Bottom