• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Roblox had 77M daily active users in q1 2025

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

Roblox highlighted an increase in the number of its daily active users (DAU), up 17% year-on-year to 77.7 million. The firm noted that its growth in DAU was particularly strong in the Asia Pacific region.

As for hours engaged, it reported an increase of 15% year-on-year to 16.7 billion, which also saw strong growth in the same region.

While it did note an "unseasonable decline" in engagement during the beginning of the first quarter, the company experimented with changes to its algorithm and reintroduced events to help drive growth and improve the quality of Roblox.

"Our teams have been hard at work identifying opportunities to drive DAUs, hours, and bookings growth rates back to 20% year-on-year," said Roblox founder and CEO David Baszucki.

Absolutely absurd numbers

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Sad Mental Health GIF by Reservation Dogs

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Company still loses tons of money. And the stock got rocked -22% today.

I dont think this company has ever made money. So despite all the mtx they earn, what ever operational costs in people and servers they got must get sky high.

odbj1Gp.jpeg

Last edited:

Larxia

I think what surprises me the most with Roblox is that if it wasn't for articles like this, I wouldn't even know it exists lol. It's not on Steam or anything, I don't know how it's popular like this without any visibility, I don't even know where you get it actually, I guess on its own website? But it's weird.

Barakov

Gold Member
I watched my niece play it the other day. It’s like some flash game with micro transactions filled nightmare. Kids seriously have the worst taste in games nowadays
Rather than a video game, it's probably best to think of it as a chat room disguised as a videogame. For my nephew, it's how he interacts with friends outside of school. It seems like it's more of a social platform than anything. I'd rather he be playing Roblox than being on twitter. What a cesspool that place is.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Phil should have been taking notes when he had the chance. MS' vision was never a good fit with hardcore gamers but rather with kiddies.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
It’s actually better than what a lot of people give it credit for. Remember the old Sim games? Sim Ant, Sim Tower, Sim Town etc.

They died when Sims came out, and EA ate Bullfrog.

Those sorts of games are alive and well in Roblox.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Roblox VR is very popular on Quest 2/3. My son plays it with his friends often.

The chunky aesthetic is kind of part of the fun for them, I've realized. That generation enjoys a lot of things which are intentionally retro or weird looking.

Holammer

What's worse, we're starting to see Roblox players reach puberty and playing that in their formative years is giving them odd ideas.

I dont think this company has ever made money. So despite all the mtx they earn, what ever operational costs in people and servers they got must get sky high.

odbj1Gp.jpeg

That's pretty surprising to hear considering:

1. Every other click or button press in the game begs you for money. It is the single worst MTX nightmare of a game that I've seen.
2. Kids love getting Robux gift cards for their birthdays.
3. The main content of the platform is all "user" (read: small time trash developer) created.

I honestly don't get how they aren't sitting on mountains of cash.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
My almost 16 year old daughter and 6 year old son both play it.

He really just messes with platformers and getting chased games within it. Plus dressing up as spideman .

Fortnite lego is cool too but still a bit much. Regular Fortnite no way.

There just isn’t good kids games.

dreamstation

Gold Member
I downloaded it on the PS5 for my daughter late last year and I deleted it pretty quickly. The amount of ads and in your face BUY, BOOST, VIP, BLAH BLAH crap was ridiculous. Why would you even let your kids play this garbage when there are so many other better made games out there? It's crazy.

Last edited:

Arsic

I downloaded it on the PS5 for my daughter late last year and I deleted it pretty quickly. The amount of ads and in your face BUY, BOOST, VIP, BLAH BLAH crap was ridiculous. Why would you even let your kids play this garbage when there are so many other better made games out there? It's crazy.
What are they?

What’s a good game for a 6 year old? What you and I played growing up doesn’t jive with him.

dreamstation

Gold Member
What are they?

What’s a good game for a 6 year old? What you and I played growing up doesn’t jive with him.
My daughter is the same age and she likes to play:
Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
Bugsnax
Sonic Frontiers
Dreams
Hot Wheels Unleashed
Minecraft

That's just off the top of my head from what she's played recently.

Wooxsvan

the controls sucks, the graphics suck, many games are broken messes but it scratches some weird itch of playing what friends are playing and feeding the attention deficit problem our society has with doing a single thing. You play one "game" then move on to the next. theres thousands or millions on there.

before there was ever a Roblox, I use to be addicted to this game called Blockland, that was an online sandbox Lego-like building game. Not long after that Roblox came out, and I remember playing the earlier versions of that back in like 2007, but it never really stuck with me. It's crazy to see how the popularity of this game just keeps rising.

Hero of Spielberg

Gold Member
Rather than a video game, it's probably best to think of it as a chat room disguised as a videogame. For my nephew, it's how he interacts with friends outside of school. It seems like it's more of a social platform than anything. I'd rather he be playing Roblox than being on twitter. What a cesspool that place is.
I get that. It’s the constant bombardment of pop ups selling Robux or whatever… it’s unrelenting

Hero of Spielberg

Gold Member
I can’t believe it’s allowed. I had to keep stopping my niece from accidental buying the vip shit when she was trying to close the incessant pop ups. It’s insane

dreamstation

Gold Member
I can’t believe it’s allowed. I had to keep stopping my niece from accidental buying the vip shit when she was trying to close the incessant pop ups. It’s insane
I have password enabled checkout activated so there was no chance of her buying anything but it was just so out of control and in your face. Every piece of shit game had them everywhere it was insane. Luckily she's not one to want everything she sees but I just didn't want her exposed to that sort of shit. The same goes for apps and games on the tablet. Some of them you play for 10 seconds then have to watch a 30 second ad. Ridiculous.

Last edited:

March Climber

Gold Member
the controls sucks, the graphics suck, many games are broken messes but it scratches some weird itch of playing what friends are playing and feeding the attention deficit problem our society has with doing a single thing. You play one "game" then move on to the next. theres thousands or millions on there.
I have played Roblox before with my nieces and nephews. It is basically the replacement for a toy box that we would have had as kids full of different action figures with different functions.

However, with toys, kids would have to play make-believe sometimes because you simply didn't own every toy. In Roblox you can jump into nearly any scenario very quickly and do a bunch of different things depending on the game-type. Some are dress up, some are cops and robbers, some are heroes and villains, some are racing, etc.

It is this generation's toy box.

Reallink

odbj1Gp.jpeg

Holy shit how are there not FTX level federal investigations into this? Somebody's skimming the ever living fuck off that net income. They notoriously don't pay the actual game developers jack shit and it definitely doesn't cost that much to host and distribute a bunch of pre-PS2 assets/"games". For those unaware of what Roblox actually is, the games are literally high school "My First Unity Project" productions, and that's not hyperbole, they're seriously the most rudimentary 1990's pre-pre-alpha prototypes you can imagine.

Last edited:

Arsic

My daughter is the same age and she likes to play:
Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart (tried in super easy mode. Too complex for him)
Bugsnax(said it didn’t look cool)
Sonic Frontiers(tried it for a while but he kept asking me to do things for him then he would bail out)
Dreams(never tried this one. Did do little big planet 3. Didn’t like it)
Hot Wheels Unleashed (liked them but hated having to unlock cars. Prefers Garfield kart racing or rocket league against AI)
Minecraft (loves it)

That's just off the top of my head from what she's played recently.
Added info from his experience with any of the above.

His generation or maybe just him, hates failure or complexity. He loves Minecraft though which has a fair amount of depth. Prefers building not survival.

Me growing up? Fire up super Mario world and let’s go fail the same level over and over until I beat it. Or mega man. Or Zelda.

On the switch he messes with Mario kart and a little animal crossing.

Holy shit how are there not FTX level federal investigations into this? Somebody's skimming the ever living fuck off that net income. They notoriously don't pay the actual game developers jack shit and it definitely doesn't cost that much to host and distribute a bunch of pre-PS2 assets/"games". For those unaware of what Roblox actually is, the games are literally high school "My First Unity Project" productions, and that's not hyperbole, they're seriously the most rudimentary 1990's pre-pre-alpha prototypes you can imagine.

I guess 77 million users doesn’t mean as much if they don’t have jobs or money.

Robb

Gold Member
Yeah, this has been my experience as well.

Same thing with a lot of “free” apps. Give me the product at a fixed price without all the constant adds, MTX etc. etc. That stuff shouldn’t be allowed in a product made for small children to begin with.

Three

This time last year there was no Playstation version of the game so I'm sure they saw good YoY DAU growth from that release.
I watched my niece play it the other day. It’s like some flash game with micro transactions filled nightmare. Kids seriously have the worst taste in games nowadays
A 3D flash game? How many of those were around?

Dr.Morris79

My son and I installed it to have a go, see what the fuss was about. 2 minutes in, microtransactions..

We both uninstalled :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I'm glad he never went the daft route in gaming.

Top Bottom