• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: Danganronpa 2- Goodbye Despair [DR1, DR2 SPOILERS]

I'd only watched an LP before, but finally I got my hands on a copy of Danganronpa 2 last week! It's one of my favorite visual novels (only behind the two Zero Escape VNs), and while CH1-5 were pretty much as great as I remembered, CH6 left a sore taste in my mouth.

Daily/Deadly Life UI And Gameplay

I liked the interface even more this time around, it's smooth and everything feels much more polished. New crosshair and 3D movement is nice too. I liked the full 3D movement of the original more, though (compared to the sequel's sidescrolling movement in islands). Monokuma dolls are much more fun to find rather than random objects and Hope Fragments are more useful too!

Class Trial Gameplay

I honestly liked all of the new minigames. ALL of them, even the new Hangman's Gambit, was amazing. I liked the new Hangman's Gambit more because it's more exciting to play, albeit it's incredibly difficult. Panic Talk Action was harder too, and while I don't prefer it to the first's minigame, I'd have liked it if it had appeared more often. Rebuttal Showdown and Logic Dive were amazing additions, though there's room for improvement. The agreement mechanic was very well done, and I liked the new multiple-hit noise (purple lines). The last chapter put some pretty enjoyable spins on Nonstop Debate.

Story

It's a brilliant game except the last trial, really. The overall cast might not be as iconic as DR1, but at least the idiot (Souda) is kinda likable this time around, would much prefer him to Hagakure. No Togami this time, but Komaeda more than makes up for that. The cast's overall more likable as well. Especially Komaeda makes the game shine, CH5 is a masterpiece and the only chapter in the series where Danganronpa reaches its true potential IMO. Mikan's backstory really stuck with me too. :( Complex cases and engaging character development also made the game great. Humor and foreshadowing was great also.

I have three big qualms with it however.

1) The "similar murders" red herring. I'm referring to the repeating trends pointed out in CH3 (first murder: unexpected stabbing, second: impulse murder, third: serial murder, fourth: consent of victim, etc.). Not touching on it doesn't make much sense, doesn't seem coincidental yet it's brushed away as a red herring at best.

2) Motives. The first game had much better motives that were PERSONAL, such as the secrets and the motive video. The sequel practically FORCES the students to kill, with threats such as starvation and the Despair Disease.

3) The fucking "Make the future" nonsense. This bullshit ruined the last trial for me. I thought I just didn't understand it the first time around, but it's one of the worst Deus Ex Machinas I have ever seen. Out of the "Graduate" or "Shutdown" options, both had dire consequences. That was the whole point of it. It was indeed ascertained that the shutdown sequence would actually eradicate whatever was left in the game, but we can't end the game on a sad tone, noooo! The game violates its own established rules to get a happy end. Somehow just because they're pumped up about "creating the future", Hajime and the others magically manage to transport their current selves over to their real bodies (as evidenced by the epilogue where Hajime is himself). I found it to be utterly fucking bullshit to be honest, I'd much rather have the game end on a sad note where the cast sacrifice themselves to kill Junko. I think Danganronpa could benefit from a darker tone overall, and is sometimes too wacky for its own good. The whole "FUTURE" deal was one of those moments (even though the part where you charge up the golden Future bullet was amazing) and I just felt like it was a cop-out, and it's now my least favorite trial in the series. I'm now even less annoyed by DR1's main twist of "School protests engulfed the world in despair, no questions!" since that was detailed somewhat (Despairs affected influenced people, who then spread their own despair, and so on) and the game and its characters do realize this absurdity, but when it comes to this "future" thing somehow only Junko's the one who asks "How the hell is that possible?!" (followed by an inexplicable execution-y thing, Usami seems to have been brought back via the same bullshit logic and no explanation whatsoever towards why exactly AI Junko could be eradicated that way... ) Junko's also a shitty villain, especially in the second game. Junko had the surprise factor the first tine around, but the second time the reveal isn't anywhere as interesting. [Going off on a tangent here but, I'd disagree with the author over him saying that "It's hard to make a villain more dangerous than Ultimate Despair"- just imagine Kamukura himself being the mastermind: Ultimate Hope taking up the legacy of Ultimate Despair, wouldn't that be amazing?] Possibly V3 can save this, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
TL;DR for #3: Game violates its own designated rules to get an unexplained happy ending, soured me on the game.

Graphics & Sound
Gotta love the Danganronpa art style, and it's just as good here. 10/10 graphics IMHO, love every single art design. OST is even better than the first one too! Tropical Despair, Trapped By The Ocean Scent and 8bit Kill Command & Discussion-HEAT UP- are MAGNIFICENT. Hopefully the next Danganronpa also packs some great sad tunes, the current sad tracks are not that memorable.

Overall, 9.5/10 game. Still love it.

Rich!

...why watch a let's play of Danganronpa 2 before playing it yourself?

DR2 is one of the best games I've ever played and that was due to playing through the crazy twists myself.

blurr

Danganronpa 2 was an amazing ride, great improvement from the first game and more. Loved the class trials, a lot more tricky but really makes you feel smart for clearing.

...why watch a let's play of Danganronpa 2 before playing it yourself?

DR2 is one of the best games I've ever played and that was due to playing through the crazy twists myself.

No Vita, no game, too much hype.

The thing is, I was spoiled on almost everything anyways, due to numerous reasons The biggest thing I missed was probably Twogami's death which I deduced was the one who died just from watching the trailer too many times and the Peko-Kuzuryuu backstory).

Still fucking love almost everything about it.

GoldStarz

It sounds like you still don't understand it tbh. The Shut Down is what they chose, the "Make the Future" was their belief that they could still remember the game even after their memories of it were supposedly erased.

Also, Kamukura was the Mastermind, he just wasn't the main villain/'Final Boss'.

Also the game's end isn't happy...? It's ambiguous as to whether the kids really remember what went down or not and the majority of them are still comatose. Bittersweet? Perhaps even optimistic? But happy? I mean if you wanted/were expecting an absolute storm of awfulness to bookmark the end of the game, sure it's happy compared to that, but just outright happy? It really isn't.

Also, I'm guessing you haven't read DR0, which I recommend you do. It sounds more in line with what you want anyway.

It sounds like you still don't understand it tbh. The Shut Down is what they chose, the "Make the Future" was their belief that they could still remember the game even after their memories of it were supposedly erased.

Also, Kamukura was the Mastermind, he just wasn't the main villain/'Final Boss'.

Also the game's end isn't happy...? It's ambiguous as to whether the kids really remember what went down or not and the majority of them are still comatose. Bittersweet? Perhaps even optimistic? But happy? I mean if you wanted/were expecting an absolute storm of awfulness to bookmark the end of the game, sure it's happy compared to that, but just outright happy? It really isn't.

Also, I'm guessing you haven't read DR0, which I recommend you do. It sounds more in line with what you want anyway.

It was explicitly stated by both Naegi and Junko that Shutdown *will* erase the avatars' existence. I'm pissed at the characters simply believing that that won't happen, and then consequently that erasure not happening (as heavily implied, if not proven, by Hajime's presence in the epilogue). I perceived it as such, and that's why I viewed it to be happier than I would have liked- in terms of the surviving cast. The comatose students etc. are of course incredibly tragic, nothing changes that, I'm just saying that the surviving cast seemingly remembering everything even after the game world ends (again, my basis for this is Hajime,) was overly happy given the options of Graduation (preserving self, reviving Junko) and Shutdown (sacrifice self, kill Junko). Overall, I could perhaps say that it was a little bit too optimistic. I perceived that it was ascertained that the survivors kept their memories, hence why I am pissed at the ending. If it's revealed that at least some of the survivors did revert to Despair, I'd like that, really.

Regarding Kamukura, my point is that I'd rather have battled him in the final trial instead of Junko. Call it "final boss" if you'd like, I decided to call him the "mastermind" in that scenario. Semantics.

I did read DR0,by the way. Especially liked the ending, hopefully we'll get an official translation down the line. ^-^

I thought DR2 was a massive improvement over DR1. The trials were actually pretty decent and interesting. I liked the cast more as well.

Duster

When viewing for the second time did it really stand out that the cast were all damaged in some way making them prime targets for a cult?
That aspect of the writing was something I was really impressed with playing it through the first time and I imagine that would become even more pronounced on subsequent playthroughs.

Tizoc

Ibuki Best girl
vQ1iHYz.jpg

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Gundham and his 4 Dark Devas of Destruction.

BEST character in the 2nd game <3
He also has the saddest death scene in the series :(

Gundham_Tanaka_-_Pumped_Hamsters.png

Your faves tried

So many great characters in this game.

That said, I just finished reading DR IF and didn't like it much, I thought it would take place outside the school. Too much Junko/Monokuma shenanigans IMHO, the whole hope/despair talk is something I find quite cheesy anyway. The Mukuro-Naegi relationship was quite nice.

Rich!

Case 5 of DR2 makes it one of the best games ever.

Is that the Nagito one? If so, then yes. Biggest WTF ooooohhh shit!!! moment I've experienced in gaming...apart from maybe Xenoblade's last half.

And then the rest of DR2 after that was a total mindfuck too

Is that the Nagito one? If so, then yes. Biggest WTF ooooohhh shit!!! moment I've experienced in gaming...apart from maybe Xenoblade's last half.

And then the rest of DR2 after that was a total mindfuck too

Yep that's Komaeda alright. The whole chapter is a masterpiece.

nakedeyes

Banned
Just beat this game over the weekend, after sitting on it basically since release. Holy god. I loved it! I really enjoyed the first, but the 2nd seemed even better.

If I had to have one complaint about this series, versus something like 999/VLR, it's that these games paths are just a bit too carefully constructed. What I mean is: they often hold shit back during investigation, in order for large revelations to happen in the trial. It's the whole way their trial gameplay even works, but it's frustrating during investigations when you have a bit more of a clue about the case than the game wants you too and it won't let you investigate what you want.

For instance, in the first case, where Byakua/Ultimate Imposter was stabbed, I REALLY wanted to investigate the bathroom ( wouldn't let you in there ), the outside grating ( you are left to take another characters word for it that there is no hole, even though it's right there to look for yourself ), and yes, even the closet ( where the hole ended up being ) for the hole / entrance to under the floor, but it wouldn't let me, and then, sure enough, you find out in the trial where the hole was.

999/VLR lets you actually investigate things and make calls on your own wether they are right or wrong. Kinda was DR2 had a bit more of that. Really enjoy the characters / story / music / art of DR over Zero Escape series.

Overall, amazing game. Looking forward to the 3rd, but worried about having to read on my PS4/TV for 35+ hours..

Top Bottom