• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scientists in South Carolina Work to Grow Meat in A Lab

Status
Not open for further replies.

El Sloth

Banned
Mmm, cultured meat.

CHARLESTON, South Carolina (Reuters) – In a small laboratory on an upper floor of the basic science building at the Medical University of South Carolina, Vladimir Mironov, M.D., Ph.D., has been working for a decade to grow meat.

A developmental biologist and tissue engineer, Dr. Mironov, 56, is one of only a few scientists worldwide involved in bioengineering "cultured" meat.

It's a product he believes could help solve future global food crises resulting from shrinking amounts of land available for growing meat the old-fashioned way ... on the hoof.

Growth of "in-vitro" or cultured meat is also under way in the Netherlands, Mironov told Reuters in an interview, but in the United States, it is science in search of funding and demand.

The new National Institute of Food and Agriculture, part of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, won't fund it, the National Institutes of Health won't fund it, and the National Aeronautics and Space Administration funded it only briefly, Mironov said.

"It's classic disruptive technology," Mironov said. "Bringing any new technology on the market, average, costs $1 billion. We don't even have $1 million."

Director of the Advanced Tissue Biofabrication Center in the Department of Regenerative Medicine and Cell Biology at the medical university, Mironov now primarily conducts research on tissue engineering, or growing, of human organs.

"There's a yuck factor when people find out meat is grown in a lab. They don't like to associate technology with food," said Nicholas Genovese, 32, a visiting scholar in cancer cell biology working under a People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals three-year grant to run Dr. Mironov's meat-growing lab.

"But there are a lot of products that we eat today that are considered natural that are produced in a similar manner," Genovese said.

"There's yogurt, which is cultured yeast. You have wine production and beer production. These were not produced in laboratories. Society has accepted these products."

If wine is produced in winery, beer in a brewery and bread in a bakery, where are you going to grow cultured meat?

In a "carnery," if Mironov has his way. That is the name he has given future production facilities.

He envisions football field-sized buildings filled with large bioreactors, or bioreactors the size of a coffee machine in grocery stores, to manufacture what he calls "charlem" -- "Charleston engineered meat."

"It will be functional, natural, designed food," Mironov said. "How do you want it to taste? You want a little bit of fat, you want pork, you want lamb? We design exactly what you want. We can design texture.

"I believe we can do it without genes. But there is no evidence that if you add genes the quality of food will somehow suffer. Genetically modified food is already normal practice and nobody dies."

Dr. Mironov has taken myoblasts -- embryonic cells that develop into muscle tissue -- from turkey and bathed them in a nutrient bath of bovine serum on a scaffold made of chitosan (a common polymer found in nature) to grow animal skeletal muscle tissue. But how do you get that juicy, meaty quality?

Genovese said scientists want to add fat. And adding a vascular system so that interior cells can receive oxygen will enable the growth of steak, say, instead of just thin strips of muscle tissue.

Cultured meat could eventually become cheaper than what Genovese called the heavily subsidized production of farm meat, he said, and if the public accepts cultured meat, the future holds benefits.

"Thirty percent of the earth's land surface area is associated with producing animal protein on farms," Genovese said.

"Animals require between 3 and 8 pounds of nutrient to make 1 pound of meat. It's fairly inefficient. Animals consume food and produce waste. Cultured meat doesn't have a digestive system.

"Further out, if we have interplanetary exploration, people will need to produce food in space and you can't take a cow with you.

"We have to look to these ideas in order to progress. Otherwise, we stay static. I mean, 15 years ago who could have imagined the iPhone?"
By Harriet McLeod – Sun Jan 30, 10:00 am ET

I have to admit, the idea of meat grown in a lab disgusts me for some reason. But if it means helping make food cheaper and more available for everyone, then I'm all for it.

Incidentally, isn't the reason that some vegetarians and vegans don't eat meat because of the way the animal is treated and/or because it's a living thinking being? I wonder how this would effect them. If it ever pans out I mean.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
can't they just get the secret recipe of life from KFC where they grow chickens without heads and apply that to other meats

I support. as long as the shit doesn't come back to kill me in 15 years.

Also, I assume this is the same guy saying he needs a $1 billion investment to make it work...and he only has like $1 million raised?

Evenball

Jack Flack always escapes!
I remember we had a thread on this over a year ago and I saw it featured on The Daily Show back then too. I'm somewhat skeptical, but I suppose it could be useful for a lot of processed/canned foods.

El Sloth

Banned
Dreams-Visions said:

Also, I assume this is the same guy saying he needs a $1 billion investment to make it work...and he only has like $1 million raised?
Well, from the article:
"It's classic disruptive technology," Mironov said. "Bringing any new technology on the market, average, costs $1 billion. We don't even have $1 million."
So, yeah, I would guess he's probably the guy you're thinking of.

Evenball

Jack Flack always escapes!
El Sloth said:
Incidentally, isn't the reason that some vegetarians and vegans don't eat meat because of the way the animal is treated and/or because it's a living thinking being? I wonder how this would effect them. If it ever pans out I mean.

When I first heard about this, PETA was actually behind it, giving some reward to any place that could grow meat in a vat.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Getting around the reception of lab meat, what exactly are going to be the nutrient inputs to grow it? If it's highly refined stuff that needs to be processed/extracted/grown, then there are significant economic and security hurdles that may be insurmountable for large scale consumption.

That being said, it does sound genuinely useful for space travel.

El Sloth

Banned
^I just want to note that I wasn't being snarky or anything in my post.

Evenball said:
When I first heard about this, PETA was actually behind it, giving some reward to any place that could grow meat in a vat.
Oh, wow, that's actually pretty cool of PETA. Although it would be infinitely cooler of them to actually help support these guys by setting up fundraisers and putting all those celebrities on their board to good use.

You wouldn't happen to remember how much they were offering, do you?

sarcastor

veridian dynamics already accomplished this

Veridian-Cowless-Meat.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TcRjxPyhv0

Interesting. If this can happen on a commercial scale we don't have to worry about mad cow disease scares and farmers can use their land to grow crops that we can eat instead of what the animals need to eat.

Tabris

If they can just figure out how to replicate cow meat easily, a huge chunk of our environmental and hunger concerns go away.

fanboi

Banned
Dreams-Visions said:

Well you know what they say, a dollar is the start of a million!

Meadows

Banned
I read somewhere we should be eating Kangaroos instead of Cows as they are more eco-friendly because they fart less or something.

Kangaroo is delicious so I will fully back this initiative.

Enco

There was something like this a while ago where the scientists said it tastes like crap.

Either way, I'll stick with the real stuff thank you very much. I can see it's benefit though.

Averon

I don't know if this will ever grab hold. The psychological barriers consumer will have for this meat will be immense.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
sans_pants said:
if i was a billionaire this is what id be putting my money towards
As long as you didn't make your Billions raising cattle. Wait, even then it may still be worth it to you to invest in the business that will be the destroyer of your old business.

This would put a lot of farmers out of work though. Plus, I wonder how it takes. Will it be near instant, only taking a few minutes, do you have the leave the device on over night, days, weeks, months? Is is viable to have on in every home, or would the raw ingredients take up too much space/be unsafe for the average consumer?

I don't know if this will ever grab hold. The psychological barriers consumer will have for this meat will be immense.
They just have to make it look like normal meat at first. If it produced ground beef that was identical to natural ground beef, a large group on consumers wouldn't mind eating it. If you can get it so you don't have to label it as artificial, you get rid of anther barrier.

I am sure there will be several large lobbies that will try their hardest to keep something like this coming though, making it so it has to be labeled, pushing for it to have extensive testing for the health effects (And then maybe even trying to skew the media's presentation of said results to be negative), ad campaigns that both highlight that this will put farmers out of work and stir up fear of health effects, they may even try arbitrarily putting a taxes on it to make it cost more, or pushing for taxes on the raw materials used for such a product, and other methods to try and keep the cost up.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Look, chicken already doesn't taste of much (the battery cage, factory-farmed kind anyway) so I imagine that'd be the easiest to simulate. If they can mimic the texture and feel, either this way or with vegetable-based stuff, I'm game.

Nocebo

Averon said:
Personally I would prefer eating synthesized meat. An even smaller chance of disease that way.
I just fear that scientists will eventually accidentally grow a super intelligent man-chicken professor god who will be hell bent on destroying the human race.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Talon- said:
Better Off Ted: predicting the future.

damn first post.

I was about to say so often i can quote a episode from better of ted, but i can never find a good video or pic.

Gilby

It's nice to see one of the things people have been talking about for years finally start coming to fruition. Now get cracking on those nanobots scientists!

As a vegetarian i think this would be a huge breakthrough and as long as it tasted and had the texture of meat i would be all over this since i only stopped eating meat for ethical reasons and not taste.

Things like this make me wonder what we will be able to do in the future, such amazing things that even a few years ago would have seemed impossible.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Wii said:
Bet it'll taste weird like those vegetarian hot dogs
Ideally it would taste the same or better (Though people often equate "Taste better = Less healthy, ITS GOING TO KILL ME")

Dali

http://www.gizmag.com/scientists-grow-meat-in-a-lab/13478/ November 30, 2009

It's mentioned in the article, but this isn't anything new... unless the fact that the U.S. is finally getting in on it is worth mention. In the case of government funded embryonic stem cell research I'd say it is (worth mention). In this case... not so much.

It is interesting to see the FDA isn't funding it. Wtf, really? US has too many powerful, short-sighted, lobbies gimping innovation. It's not like this crap would completely replace livestock anytime soon. Are the scientists going to electrically stimulate the muscles to make them seem firm and as though they came from an animal that used them? They themselves even admit ignorance of the delicious gene.

Dali said:
http://www.gizmag.com/scientists-grow-meat-in-a-lab/13478/ November 30, 2009

It's mentioned in the article, but this isn't anything new... unless the fact that the U.S. is finally getting in on it is worth mention. In the case of government funded embryonic stem cell research I'd say it is (worth mention). In this case... not so much.

It is interesting to see the FDA isn't funding it. Wtf, really? US has too many powerful, short-sighted, lobbies gimping innovation. It's not like this crap would completely replace livestock anytime soon. Are the scientists going to electrically stimulate the muscles to make them seem firm and as though they came from an animal that used them? They themselves even admit ignorance of the delicious gene.
This I think is the single biggest thing holding humans back at the moment, there are so many of our major problems that could be fixed if it wasn’t for the people blocking any sort of progress. The biggest example is renewable energy, if they were to pump a shit load of money into fusion tech it would get here a hell of a lot quicker then it is at the moment (cant remember exactly when it is meant to be viable but I remember a thread on GAF about it) and reduce one of, if not the biggest problem facing our planet yet they want to hold onto their empire for as long as they can.

Weenerz

Banned
Doesn't Taco Bell already do this? I bet this helps them win the franchise wars. Let me quote a friend of mine,

Lenina Huxley: Taco Bell was the only restaurant to survive the Franchise Wars. Now all restaurants are Taco Bell.

DemolitionMan13.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom