• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sean Payton: Super Bowl Coach, Frankie Muniz Impersonator, Gun Control Advocate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonm1010

Banned
Listen to Sean Payton. Carefully. He’s mad. Sad. Frustrated. Passionate.

“If this opinion in Louisiana is super unpopular,” Payton told USA TODAY Sports in a 33-minute phone conversation on Monday, his first interview since Will Smith’s death, “so be it.”

In the aftermath of the senseless shooting on Saturday night that left former defensive end Smith dead – and Smith’s wife Racquel wounded -- amid a beef linked to a traffic accident, the New Orleans Saints coach is pleading for more gun control.

He isn’t merely talking about tighter laws. If Payton had his druthers we’d live in a country without guns.

“Two hundred years from now, they’re going to look back and say, ‘What was that madness about?’ “ Payton said. “The idea that we need them to fend off intruders … people are more apt to draw them (in other situations). That’s some silly stuff we’re hanging onto.”

Payton is still processing the death of a former team captain -- who was weeks away from joining the Saints coach staff as an intern -- and no one in their right mind can blame him for expressing his raw, human emotion. He wants to get this off his chest, and it hardly matters if Payton is bucking conventional NFL coach speak by coming out strong on a hot-button political issue.

“I’m not an extreme liberal,” Payton said. “I find myself leaning to the right on some issues. But on this issue, I can’t wrap my brain around it.”

Payton, who grew up in suburban Chicago, said that his philosophy was influenced by his father, an insurance claims adjuster whose line of work was filled with tragedies. He also spent six months playing in a British football league during the late 1980s, before launching his coaching career.

“I hate guns,” he said.

Payton said he is trying to remove his anti-gun bias in considering the matter, but even with that he reaches the same conclusion.

“I’ve heard people argue that everybody needs a gun,” he said. “That’s madness. I know there are many kids who grow up in a hunting environment. I get that. But there are places, like England, where even the cops don’t have guns.”

Payton spent part of Saturday night participating in an auction for a charity event at the House of Blues, which was a hub of activity during the annual French Quarter Fest. Soon after he returned home, shortly after midnight, he learned of Smith’s death – which occurred about eight blocks from Payton’s home in the Garden District.

Unable to sleep, Payton drove to the scene around 5:45 Sunday morning.

“I wanted to see it,” he said.

After spending several hours at the hospital where Racquel underwent surgery, commiserating with some of Smith’s relatives, Payton hopped on the Internet on Sunday night to try to find out whatever he could about the weapon that was used. He described what he discovered in gruesome detail.

“It was a large caliber gun. A .45,” Payton said. “It was designed back during World War I. And this thing just stops people. It will kill someone within four or five seconds after they are struck. You bleed out. After the first shot (that struck Smith’s torso), he took three more in his back.”

Payton paused, then continued with his theme.

“We could go online and get 10 of them, and have them shipped to our house tomorrow,” he said. “I don’t believe that was the intention when they allowed for the right for citizens to bear arms.”

The tragedy that cost Smith his life undoubtedly fuels attention because of his high profile. But Payton, who said he was “still numb” on Monday, has a larger perspective, too.

“We don’t hear this noise when something happens in New Orleans East, or in the Lower 9,” Payton said, alluding to predominantly African-American communities. “Now you creep into the Garden District…

“I just know this: Our city is broken.”

Payton is probably more qualified than pretty much any coach in the NFL when it comes to feeling the pulse of the city where his team resides. He landed the Saints job in 2006, when the football team was hitched hand-in-hand with a community needing to rebuild from the devastation of Katrina.

In his 10 years, he’s lived on the North Shore, the South Shore and the Warehouse District in addition to his current Uptown location. He says the violence in the city – with most of the victims being people you’ve never heard of – is as bad as it has been in his time as a resident.

“It’s like our big little secret,” Payton said. “They don’t want to kill tourism. But right now, it’s like the Wild, Wild West here.”

Beyond the weapons, Payton believes the issues are exacerbated because of an overhauled New Orleans Police Department that has been weakened significantly by reductions in staff and funding.

He laments the possibility of getting into a traffic accident in New Orleans, where he contends police might not respond due to manpower shortages that leave fender-benders as a low priority.

The bigger fear, though, is to encounter another driver willing to settle a dispute by taking the law into their own hands. While the investigation and legal proceedings in Smith’s case are ongoing, initial reports contend that the incident was a worst-case scenario of road rage.

“I think I’m a good driver,” Payton said. “But God forbid if I make a mistake and cut someone off.”

Smith, who played his final season in 2013, was often at the center of lively debates Payton would come across while strolling through the locker room. In addition to being a leader who was eager to address team issues that concerned the coach, Payton remembers Smith as being very opinionated – yet at the same time a good listener.

“I don’t know how he felt about guns,” Payton said. “I know he loved this city. And I know he was going to be a heck of a coach. He had such a presence about him. Not only would he have made the transition to be a great defensive line coach, he had all the tools to become a head coach.

“We just don’t get to see those chapters. All the chapters before now were great. But it’s sad that we won’t see the next chapters.”
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...smith-death-sean-payton-new-orleans/82899630/

You don't often hear coaches come out so strongly and openly on hot button political issues like this in football. Not to mention as the coach of a team that represents a deeply red state and has a large conservative fanbase.

Frankly I applaud Payton for taking a stand that won't be easy to live with in a state so vehemently in favor of some of the loosest gun rights in the country. While simultaneously having some of the highest gun death rates in the country. For shining a light on what has been a often ignored reality of this city which is that the whole city is in shock over this tragedy - and it is a tragedy - but that tragedies of gun violence happen everyday around here but because so many happen in the poorer, minority areas, a blind eye is turned.

flyover

Good for Payton. Hope he doesn't back off his comments. They're pretty bold for someone in his position to make, and he'll definitely get some pushback.

I never trust men who wear stupid caps like that.

Hey, I wanna appear like a bro, but I'm so insecure I need to show the world I have hair.

It's the mullet of hats.

Jonm1010

Banned
Good for Payton. Hope he doesn't back off his comments. They're pretty bold for someone in his position to make, and he'll definitely get some pushback.
Yeah it will be interesting to see if this is a one off thing he pulls back on due to the heat that will come his way or if he actually commits and goes all in and starts being an advocate.

Frankly it's kinda been interesting to hear and read people on Facebook who I know are often very anti gun-control who have been agreeing with Payton overall. Anecdotal of course but it's crazy how a respected coach is actually getting otherwise intractable people to empathize and even somewhat endorse his view.

Griss

I've never liked Sean Payton. Not at all.

That just changed. 180 style.

“I’m not an extreme liberal,” Payton said. “I find myself leaning to the right on some issues. But on this issue, I can’t wrap my brain around it.”

Took the words out of my mouth.

witness

Now that's my goddamn coach! Good for him for saying what he believes. I cannot wait to talk to my dad who lives in Nola, is a huge saints fan, and is a gun nut.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom