• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow of The Erdtree has surpassed Witcher 3: Blood & Wine for the highest rated DLC of all time

Draugoth

Gold Member
shadow-of-the-erdtree-the-witcher-3s-blood-and-wine.jpg

With the reviews pouring in, it’s a moment of pride and excitement for the gaming community as FromSoftware’s highly anticipated Elden Ring expansion, Shadow of the Erdtree, has already soared to the top, becoming the highest-rated DLC of all time. According to Metacritic, Shadow of the Erdtree has secured an impressive Metascore of 95, based on 56 critic reviews at the time of writing.

This remarkable achievement is a testament to this expansion’s quality and anticipation. The broader audience can experience this triumph on June 21, 2024, when the user scores start rolling in. The top spot was previously held by The Witcher 3’s DLC, Blood and Wine, with a Metascore of 92.

The anticipation and excitement surrounding the Shadow of the Erdtree expansion is palpable, to the extent that even the original author of the Elden Ring manga, Nikiichi Tobita, is taking a break to play the DLC. Tobita recently shared on X (formerly Twitter) that the manga’s latest episode, ‘ELDEN RING’, The Road to the Golden Tree Episode 45, has been updated. He also announced a ‘hiatus’ to fully immerse himself in the Elden Ring DLC. This level of excitement from the manga creators themselves is a testament to the thrill and anticipation that awaits the players.

Via Insider Gaming

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Better than Starcraft: Broodwar?
Better than Age of Empires II: The Conquerors?
Better than Bloodborne: The Old Hunters?
Better than Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen?

Probably! Can't wait to play it. 🌞

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
If its better than the 3 Crowns DLC's for Dark Souls 2, I'll be very happy. Because that for me represented the best DLC FROM have ever done, pipping Bloodborne's Old Hunter's in the process due to it offering more variety and greater challenge.

BossLackey

Gold Member
One has the worst ARPG combat system of the decade, the other is 27th reskin of the same game. The state of the gaming "journalism".

So sequels are reskins now? Come on now.

I agree with The Witcher's combat, but Elden Ring's combat is incredibly good. Yes, it's the 5th iteration of this style, but the options available to the player are astronomical and Erdtree is going to expand that a lot more.

NeverYouMind

Gold Member
I think Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty's Conqueror of Jiangdong DLC and Bloodborne's The Old Hunters DLC will still be my personal favorites.

If its better than the 3 Crowns DLC's for Dark Souls 2, I'll be very happy. Because that for me represented the best DLC FROM have ever done, pipping Bloodborne's Old Hunter's in the process due to it offering more variety and greater challenge.
I think they are kind of weak outside of Crown of the Ivory King. I loved the Alonne and Fume Knight bosses from the Crown of the Old Iron King DLC though.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I think they are kind of weak outside of Crown of the Ivory King. I loved the Alonne and Fume Knight bosses from the Crown of the Old Iron King DLC though.

I really liked the variety; each expansion had a strong and clearly defined theme, style of play, and even offered a reward for completing all 3.
One thing that stood out to me was that every part had some sort of epic view of the area that really made them feel like special locations, not just add-ons or variations to pre-existing areas - I felt like it kept things fresh.

I admit I like DS2 more than most because of it being sprawling and messy, and full of ideas that could have been better or more iterated upon. The retreat to the tried and true in DS3 was a real let-down for me by comparison.

Mozzarella

Probably deserved, Elden Ring is a masterpiece, i have been doing another NG+ run recently and i have 3 bosses left, i will be ready to devour this Expansion.

So sequels are reskins now? Come on now.

I agree with The Witcher's combat, but Elden Ring's combat is incredibly good. Yes, it's the 5th iteration of this style, but the options available to the player are astronomical and Erdtree is going to expand that a lot more.
Thing is Blood and Wine feels distinct and different from the base game, i dont know about ER DLC yet but generally all From's DLCs play in the exact same way, you get a 2-4 new levels with new bosses and weapons and thats it, sometimes they even recycled the same enemies, overall it will feel like a great package of more of the same things.
Meanwhile BaW and HoS DLCs are distnict, they are completely standalone stories, not continuation, not more of the same but something that feels new and fresh Blood and Wine feels like fairytale world with tons of neat references to classic literature books and funny parody quests, also like look at PL from last year, Cyberpunk feels like a dystopian big corpo cyberpunk struggle of a game, but PL feels totally different its a spy thriller espionage where the pacing and themes feel like a mixture between MGS and Ghost in the Shell.
Maybe im reaching a bit, but when i played Ringed City i was like, yeah few more levels to explore and few more bosses to kill.

I love both though, not complaining, but its not just this has combat and this has more combat.
Elden Ring combat is far better, no denying that, but those big games are not going to redesign their combat mechanics for a DLC.
Anyway maybe this was unrelated, sorry for my ramblings lol

Last edited:

NeverYouMind

Gold Member
I really liked the variety; each expansion had a strong and clearly defined theme, style of play, and even offered a reward for completing all 3.
One thing that stood out to me was that every part had some sort of epic view of the area that really made them feel like special locations, not just add-ons or variations to pre-existing areas - I felt like it kept things fresh.

I admit I like DS2 more than most because of it being sprawling and messy, and full of ideas that could have been better or more iterated upon. The retreat to the tried and true in DS3 was a real let-down for me by comparison.
If Crown of the Sunken King did not make it to a Remake would you care? I can honestly say I would not.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
If Crown of the Sunken King did not make it to a Remake would you care? I can honestly say I would not.
I really dug the idea of an underground city built around a huge Aztec style step pyramid. As an area I thought it was fine on the whole even if the bosses were easily the least memorable of the DLCs.
Like I said, the theme was the main thing for me; being such a different space from the other areas made it memorable.

Akuji

If you say it's unbeatable, nothing will change your mind. Even if it's beaten.

It paved the way for RTS, game could release today and still smack everything that ever came after.
Even after showing how its done. Its a miracle, blizzard somehow got just lucky and the game had a phase
( like 15 years ) without Patches and the Meta was still advancing faster then most modern games.
Because the balance shifted all the time, nothing was op, everything was op all at once.

This game has been a part of my whole life and if you asked me what needs to be changed / added / deleted from the game i wouldnt know a single thing.
Created the pro world and esports as we know it today. The first smaller things did start a bit earlier but this game pushed public events, sold out stadiums before other games even could
fill small halls.

MrRenegade

Banned
shadow-of-the-erdtree-the-witcher-3s-blood-and-wine.jpg

With the reviews pouring in, it’s a moment of pride and excitement for the gaming community as FromSoftware’s highly anticipated Elden Ring expansion, Shadow of the Erdtree, has already soared to the top, becoming the highest-rated DLC of all time. According to Metacritic, Shadow of the Erdtree has secured an impressive Metascore of 95, based on 56 critic reviews at the time of writing.

This remarkable achievement is a testament to this expansion’s quality and anticipation. The broader audience can experience this triumph on June 21, 2024, when the user scores start rolling in. The top spot was previously held by The Witcher 3’s DLC, Blood and Wine, with a Metascore of 92.

The anticipation and excitement surrounding the Shadow of the Erdtree expansion is palpable, to the extent that even the original author of the Elden Ring manga, Nikiichi Tobita, is taking a break to play the DLC. Tobita recently shared on X (formerly Twitter) that the manga’s latest episode, ‘ELDEN RING’, The Road to the Golden Tree Episode 45, has been updated. He also announced a ‘hiatus’ to fully immerse himself in the Elden Ring DLC. This level of excitement from the manga creators themselves is a testament to the thrill and anticipation that awaits the players.

Via Insider Gaming

I doubt that Elden Ring dlc could bring the sophistication of their storytelling to that level.

Last edited:
Top Bottom