• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should I Learn About 'Warhammer Fantasy'?

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
So, I'm somewhat proficient in the lore of Warhammer 40,000 but I know next to nothing about Warhammer Fantasy or the Age of Sigmar.

Are there any major differences between the two franchises? I absolutely love Warhammer 40,000 but I know next to nothing about Warhammer Fantasy is of course more about the fantasy aspect and a little bit more in the generic side so I speak when it comes to games like Dungeons and Dragons.

Edit: one thing I have noticed is that some of the models and artwork in Warhammer Fantasy look even better than Warhammer 40,000.

Last edited:

KrakenIPA

I chose Warhammer Fantasy Battles rather than Warhammer 40k back in the 90s. You don't need to choose a side these days I suppose. I promised to never regret my decision. My minis are all in storage, and have been for a while.
I would recommend to start small, and improve what you can. I wish you well in the wars to come.

Darkmakaimura

Warhammer the Old World just came this year so jump in fucker. Nows as good a time as any.
Now isn't Warhammer the Old World just a return to the original Warhammer Fantasy?

I know the Warhammer Fantasy world looks geographically like our own, at least from what I've seen.

And as for Age of Sigmar, isn't it about eight or so worlds linked together?

Last edited:

NecrosaroIII

Ultimate DQ Fan
Now isn't Warhammer the Old World just a return to the original Warhammer Fantasy?

I know the Warhammer Fantasy world looks geographically like our own, at least from what I've seen.

And ask for Age of Sigmar, isn't it about eightt or so world linked together?
It sort of is. But its set before Warhammer Fantasy. Its sort of lile the Horus Herasy to WHFB

NecrosaroIII

Ultimate DQ Fan
Oh, so it's sort of a prequel to The original Warhammer Fantasy game?

I remember hearing that Age of Sigmar wasn't exactly that popular with people.
I think its found it its footing now. But GW just pissed off a lot of people with changes in a new edition that removed a alot of units.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Warhammer fantasy stuff just feels way too much like regurgitated stuff I've seen a thousand times elsewhere, lore-wise. 40k has much more of an appeal to me, because it many ways it's a very unique universe.

Is Warhammer only a strategy game? I swear I remember playing an actual Warhammer fantasy pnp rpg back in the day. Is my memory fucked or was that actually a thing?

DaciaJC

Gold Member
If you enjoy history, you absolutely should. WHFB differentiates itself from other settings like D&D in a very fundamental way that can probably be best summed up by just posting the world map:

map_of_the_warhammer_fantasy_universe_by_mapyniepraktyczne_df5dru2-fullview.jpg

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I started the laying down the lore podcast on fantasy a few weeks ago and it’s pretty great. I will say that I don’t find the lore quite as interesting as 40k but it’s still good. I only have a bit of info so far and I know I hate the Skaven already.

jason10mm

Gold Member
If you enjoy history, you absolutely should. WHFB differentiates itself from other settings like D&D in a very fundamental way that can probably be best summed up by just posting the world map:

map_of_the_warhammer_fantasy_universe_by_mapyniepraktyczne_df5dru2-fullview.jpg
Say "Naggaroth" three times fast :p

This is basically what Tolkien and Howard did, take our world and play with it a bit. It's also why DnD CAN'T be like this anymore, because you get pretty stereotypical representations of each culture (and make no bones about it, the "europe" depicted in these games is just as reductive and stereotypical as "asia land", "india-land", or "arabia-land") if you bother to show other cultures AT ALL.

I've read some WHF books. Not sure if there are any "core" ones like there kinda is for WH40K.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
Say "Naggaroth" three times fast :p

This is basically what Tolkien and Howard did, take our world and play with it a bit. It's also why DnD CAN'T be like this anymore, because you get pretty stereotypical representations of each culture (and make no bones about it, the "europe" depicted in these games is just as reductive and stereotypical as "asia land", "india-land", or "arabia-land") if you bother to show other cultures AT ALL.

I've read some WHF books. Not sure if there are any "core" ones like there kinda is for WH40K.

I don't think one approach is inherently better than the other, but what you call stereotypical I often consider charming. I personally love when actual history and geography or even mythologies are used as the basis for creating fantasy cultures. For example, GW taking the legend of Dracula and Transylvanian/Romanian strigoi and fashioning an entire faction out of them to create the Vampire Counts of Sylvania is just plainly cool. Or as another example, the world of the Witcher, which Sapkowski heavily based upon his homeland of Poland as well as the HRE. For me, inspirations like those help lend a sense of familiarity to the setting and make it easier to become immersed in that universe.

Dr_Salt

Best way and most accesible way to get into Warhammer fantasy is playing the Total War Games. I think the lore is as good as 40K.

Last edited:
Warhammer Fantasy/Age of Sigmar is more classic fantasy compared to the grimdark sci-fi of Warhammer 40,000. The artwork is often praised for its detail and vibrant style, which some prefer over 40K's aesthetic. If you like D&D, Fantasy/AoS might be right up your alley.

Darkmakaimura

Are there any Warhammer FantasyCRPGs? I've searched around and the closest I could find was Chaosbane which is an APRG.

You would think Warhammer fantasy would have a full-blown computer role-playing game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom