• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should I read helpful guides or play BLINDLY during my playthrough of RPG games (THE ELDERS SCROLLS IV: OBLIVION)

So I'm finally playing Oblivion and intending on completing the GOTY edition by the end of the year, God Willingly.

My thoughts have been 50/50 when it comes to reading about quests, item descriptions, which weapon is more useful, etc.

Should I be reading about these things on the internet or should I play blindly without reading about the game whatsoever? (under the condition that I'm not stuck on a quest or something)

Last edited:

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
With a game like Oblivion, a lot of the fun is the exploration and just happening on things. You lose some of that if you're reading a guide. But it's so sprawling that a guide may help focus you. There's plusses and minuses depending on your preferred way of playing.

With a game like Oblivion, a lot of the fun is the exploration and just happening on things. You lose some of that if you're reading a guide. But it's so sprawling that a guide may help focus you. There's plusses and minuses depending on your preferred way of playing.
Exactly my thoughts too. I only read guides when I'm stuck and I do minimal readings as well. I try to give myself a chance to solve the problem but if I fail too many times, then I'll check the guide to avoid losing the enthusiasm I have for the game.

Still interested in hearing your thoughts, GAF!

Pallas

Play blindingly with Elder Scrolls games, the biggest thing with those is the exploration and random encounters that can unfold. I’d only suggest reading a guide if you need help with one if the main side quests like fighters guild, mages, guild, dark brotherhood, etc.

Play blindingly with Elder Scrolls games, the biggest thing with those is the exploration and random encounters that can unfold. I’d only suggest reading a guide if you need help with one if the main side quests like fighters guild, mages, guild, dark brotherhood, etc.
I agree, but one quest really got me stuck and I felt compelled to check the guide. Didn't want to lose my motivation of completing the game!

I'm making sure I balance the exploration and randomness with expectations and structure. I can't be wondering around too aimlessly or else I wont be able to finish the game! I have a big backlog and can't afford to spend too many hours in the beautiful world of Cyrodil, right Melon Melon -©han?

Stuart360

Most of the quest are easy enough to work out, but guides are useful if you want to find certain things, like secret weaopons and armour. Guides are also great at finding out where the various npc trainers are, because you can train and level up a certain attribute 5 times for each level up. Its a bit of a waste imo to level up without training.
Just keep like a Gamefaqs guide ready incase you want to check something.

Fbh

Reading guides and tips sort of ruined Oblivion for me.
I ended up having really good gear really early on and it killed the sense of progression.

So I'd say go in blindly and only check a guide if you are stuck on a quest or something

Yumi

If I remeber correctly, each guild has its own questline. So if you have an idea what class you want your character to be, its worth doing those since they tend to have a focus on the skills you want to develop, like being a mage an getting more mage skills and gear. Thing is, some are easier to find then others. Pretty sure the thiefs guild appropristely, is hard to find, and theres another one I wont spoil where you have to do something then you get visited during sleep.

It might be worth it, if you know what class you want to be, to see where guild questlines start, but then trying to finish it without a guide.

Going off memory here so this could be a little off.

Pallas

I agree, but one quest really got me stuck and I felt compelled to check the guide. Didn't want to lose my motivation of completing the game!

I'm making sure I balance the exploration and randomness with expectations and structure. I can't be wondering around too aimlessly or else I wont be able to finish the game! I have a big backlog and can't afford to spend too many hours in the beautiful world of Cyrodil, right Melon Melon -©han?

Be sure to take a picture by the Oblivion gate~

anthraticus

Banned
ijVsXK.jpg

EDMIX

So I'm finally playing Oblivion and intending on completing the GOTY edition by the end of the year, God Willingly.

My thoughts have been 50/50 when it comes to reading about quests, item descriptions, which weapon is more useful, etc.

Should I be reading about these things on the internet or should I play blindly without reading about the game whatsoever? (under the condition that I'm not stuck on a quest or something)

Love that game, in my top 10 favorite RPGs of all time. Run it with no guide, save lots of times in terms of separate saves....sometimes....things happen lol

semi OT, but man I love for them to do a remaster with mods on PS4 of that game or Fallout 3.

Kadayi

Banned
I'd say blind as there's a tonne to do, but tbh I never finish those games in large part because after a while I hit a point of quest inertia because there's just too many to pursue. Do I go east and overthrown the empire? Or should I go west and deal with those troublesome Elves that stole Timmy's lunch money? Or should I go South and find the Fabled Tree of Anime Tiddies? South it is then, hey hold up I wonder what's in that Cove I spy over there ....a full pirate ship crewed by dead mermaids with a Treasure map that would lead me to the lair of the bucktoothed vampires.... who apparently grant you 3 wishes ....so many choices ....:messenger_dizzy:

Last edited:
The only guide I used growing up was the Pokemon guide / Pokedex, and that was less for the campaign guide and more for the pictures and stats.

It's kinda nice to breeze through a game with a guide to help you bypass any frustration. On the other hand, you sacrifice most of the surprise and discovery, which is kinda the point of an RPG (it certainly isn't twitch skills or pattern recognition).

Pertinent:

Daymos

If you come across a situation where you might quit the game because you can't figure it out, then use a guide.

Basically go in blind, but get help before you give up!

johntown

Banned
First mod it and then play blindly. If you get stuck look online as it may be a bug. Watch out for omniscient guards in Oblivion and becoming a Vampire. That is all I will say.

Shifty1897

If I can't load up the game after not playing it for a year and get a recap or quest objective, it's time for a guide.

Happened last night to me with Wild Arms 3.

I read guides for obscure games like fallout 2, planescape torment where I struggle to get quests and will miss out on quality quests/writing otherwise.

For oblivion, not needed at all imo.

Personally, for any big name RPGs that I was hype for, my first run through is guideless (unless I'm completely stuck). Second run through is guide city cuz I want to make sure I hit every little tidbit of gameplay.

Kingdom Come Deliverance was one of those that I had heard of but never really got into it until it hit game pass, I couldn't figure out the combat or lockpicking (probably because it was built for PC) so I watched a quick guide on combat and lockpicking + some extra stuff noobs should know and it greatly enhanced my enjoyment of the game.

Whereas a game like Witcher 3, I went through my first run guideless and got a meh ending (no one really died but I'm a ladies man and got too greedy, for shame). But it made me appreciate my second and third run throughs so much more.

Paltheos

Is this a general question or a question specific to Oblivion?
I can't help with the latter.
For the former, I make a point of checking what's missable before I start any big game and I plan how I play accordingly. Some games are just ridiculous about what they ask for completion and you have to start early, and I'll often not know if I like the game enough to go all in until I would otherwise be past that point of missing critical stuff.

Virex

Banned
It's a Bethesda game so you can play blind. But if you can you should play Morrowind. It's the last good game they made

Last edited:

Hudo

With most RPGs, I would say go in blind, most are designed with that in mind nowadays anyway. There are some exceptions, though. For example, if you've never played a Akitoshi Kawazu game (The SaGa series), I would probably read a general outline and maybe tips etc (not a full-on guide) as they can be quite frustrating and confusing for people coming in with a Dragon Quest/Final Fantasy mindset. I also wouldn't recommend playing the older Wizardry games without a guide as there are instances where you get fucked over if you are careless. I couldn't even imagine how one would actually deduce the evil/good party split in Wizardry III (that gates access to certain levels and you need items from from those to combine later) and the games don't really make that clear.

For Oblivion, I would go in blind. It's fairly forgiving anyway and I would even say that Bethesda have designed it with this in mind.

Fuz

Banned
Absolutely go blind for Elder Scrolls game.

They're not JRPG where you can miss something if you do the wrong thing (looking at you FFXII).

Last edited:

Gargus

Banned
Don't read any guides, just play.

All I will say is I LOVE being an archer in that game. Once I got some upgrades in it I did stealth and bow and beat it. Although I kept a healing spell handy and upgraded it some. Not sure of your play style but man being an archer was so satisfying. I also kept a sword around also for a while till I really got my bow upgraded.

Top Bottom