• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So I just logged in to another forum (not Reee)...

Kamina

Golden Boy
and when i went to edit my profile i came across the Gender and Pronound selection field that i had appearently forgotten to fill in 9 years ago.
The Pronoun dropdown list had the following options:

12F00D64-B4A6-4016-9131-70F6B5805E33.jpg

The gender field:

03D54B05-1CC1-473D-B3B7-866E330CD61C.jpg

Can someone explain this to me?

Last edited:

McCheese

How the fuck would "Please ask" even work on a forum? Before you reply to anybody you must first ask them what made up gender they feel like that moment, is there a time limit to reply to them with that pronoun with before they move onto the next one? like some sort of google gender authenticator.

Last edited:
and when i went to edit my profile i came across the Gender selection field that i had appearently forgotten to fill in 9 years ago.
The dropdown list had the following options:

(click image to see the full list)

Can someone explain this to me?
wouldnt be somethingawful.com by any chance?

That forum had become infested with angry trans mods and they basically put lowtax in a box and took over the site

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
wtf are the last 3? surely this is a joke?

A good source on how to deal with the introduction of these new pronouns:

Edit: Wait wtf? I didn't know there's a group of people completely opposed to the idea of pronouns and demand to be called by name only...

What the frik
next they'll/it'll be inventing new non gender based names. Maybe Elon + Grimes were on to something...XAEA-12 first then we'll have names like BʊEZ-93 or ψ-oa-0

also i love the section "What if I make a mistake? " ahahaha. RIP i guess

Last edited:

June

Lol, I think I'll take fae :D I always liked fairies but I never knew it was a """""""""""gender""""""""""

Wtf. I glanced over this post without taking it seriously But Apparently 'fae' really does refer to someone labelling themself as a fairy.

I'm okay with more options to be honest Like 'It' is fine. And like apparently 'xer' means you don't know the gender of the person. That seems fine too.

But labelling your gender as a fucking fairy? a made up magical being? This is something people actally argued for lmao?

Kamina

Golden Boy
Lol, I think I'll take fae :D I always liked fairies but I never knew it was a """""""""""gender""""""""""
Wtf. I glanced over this post without taking it seriously But Apparently 'fae' really does refer to someone labelling themself as a fairy.

I'm okay with more options to be honest Like 'It' is fine. And like apparently 'xer' means you don't know the gender of the person. That seems fine too.

But labelling your gender as a fucking fairy? a made up magical being? This is something people actally argued for lmao?
28-289670_zelda-wind-waker-png-download-tingle-zelda-majoras.png

Papa

Banned

Fae is no bueno but xer is? How do you not know your gender? Like look between your legs naga.

PSYGN

To think someone was tasked to implement that and likely had to research them 😂 Poor guy.

Last edited:

mcz117chief

193129082d46c5ecdb9fd1cf42632ba28752019bcb663b0c02b88a1b2f4e3d44.jpg

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I had no idea what most of these were. I had to look up Fae and got this answer

"Fae is a fairy themed set of neopronouns created by Tumblr user shadaras in 2014...."

What? So it's for people who identify as a fairy?!

-Arcadia-

Banned
"Fae is a fairy themed set of neopronouns created by Tumblr user shadaras in 2014...."

The wording betrays them. Themed. As if this were a pack of emotes or a PS4 home screen preorder bonus.

Not that anyone needed it to know that this was unchecked vanity for most*, not anything real.

*Severe mental illness for the rest

Papa

Banned
I’m sending them to the army

This one?

Nice avatar. I'm curious to know what your opinion is on games that glorify the US military and how that isn't political.

Then you have the most political game of all time:

220px-AA2GameCover.jpg

A game literally commissioned by the military arm of a state. It sure is funny that people seem to be ok with these politics in gaming or gun culture which is massively political in the US but, gay people? Oh no! That's too much!

Last edited:

buizel

Banned
At one point "Labels aren't important" and "Don't label me" turned into " LABELS ARE SO IMPORTANT" for some reason

eot

Banned
wouldnt be somethingawful.com by any chance?

That forum had become infested with angry trans mods and they basically put lowtax in a box and took over the site
I never paid the tenbux but I always had the impression SA was a bastion of shitposting and trolling

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i'm trying to imagine someone outside the internet actually saying to someone "i'm neither male nor female. i am *insert whatever gender* and i would like you to refer to me as ve, ver, vemself!"...that's if ver can even bring vemselves to "correct" the person in the first place.

this is the kind of shit people will get away with on the internet but say that to someone in the real world outside your little snowy safeplace and you'll be ignored or locked up.

Last edited:

Scotty W

Banned
The They/Them is based on a lie. From an old post of mine:

I looked at all these links, and in all cases, the author has failed to cite an example that comes close to the 21st century usage.

From the Wikipedia link.

Older usage
Singular they is found in the writings of many respected authors. Here are some examples, arranged chronologically:

• "Eche on in þer craft ys wijs." ("Each one in their craft is wise.") — Wycliffe's Bible, Ecclus. 38.35 (1382)[27]
  • "And whoso fyndeth hym out of swich blame, They wol come up..." — Chaucer, "The Pardoner's Prologue" of The Canterbury Tales (c. 1400)[28] quoted by Jespersen and thence in Merriam-Webster's Concise Dictionary of English Usage.[29]
  • "Eche of theym sholde ... make theymselfe redy." — Caxton, Sonnes of Aymon (c. 1489)[30]
In the Wycliffe example, their means 'his or her' and refers to 'each one.' In Chaucer, they seems to refer to whoso, which I take to mean whoever. The Caxton is as my Grandmother would have spoken it.

The Miriam-Webster link has only this from Emily Dickinson: "Almost anyone under the circumstances would have doubted if [the letter] were theirs, or indeed if they were themself."

This is a bit of a stretch, but it would almost seem to agree with what you are driving at. Almost. I looked up the Emily Dickinson letter. Here is the Paragraph in question for context:

So theirs and themself seem here to be referring to multiple people, various Mrs. Dickinsons.

The OED article has only this:

Is 'each man' here singular or plural?

Top Bottom