• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Patents Hint At New Input Devices for Playstation VR

Source: http://vrfocus.com/archives/22996/f...ew-gaming-pad-wrist-bands-for-playstation-vr/

These look very interesting! Hand tracking seems to be a hot topic in VR right now. I'm excited to see what comes of these.

What A Future has uncovered 2 patents from SCE that hint at 2 potential new input solutions for PlayStation VR. The first is a ‘Gaming Device with Volumetric Sensing’. This refers to hardware that can detect a player’s hand movements using energy emitters and energy sensors such as an ultrasonic emitter and microphone sensor or infrared (IR) emitter and infrared sensors. Interrupting these sensors provides an image of the location of your hand and repeating this process gathers consistent information. In the picture above a player can be seen holding the device with a HMD on, which then appears as a ball within the given VR experience.

PSVRInput_1.png

The second patent, pictured below, involves a pair of wearable bands that go around a player’s wrists. These feature cameras that can capture the movement of the other wrist in order to provide in-game hand-tracking. They also contain LEDs and inertial sensors to provide further positional information. So far SCE hasn’t mentioned any possibility of a new input for PlayStation VR, instead citing back to the PlayStation Move and DualShock 4. However, with Oculus VR and Valve providing dedicated position-tracked inputs specifically for the Oculus Rift and HTC Vive respectively, it may be that the company has plans for an update.

PSVRInput_2.png

stryke

These look like "just in case" patents or at best they don't look like things that will happen with the first iteration of PSVR.

Stealth50

Interesting. The wristbands and the sensor on the headset could be a pretty cheap solution for motion control in some casual games. Perhaps it could even remove the need for move controllers or even a camera and if the wristbands are cheap and packed in with the headset, it would definitely be a smart way to push the price down.

It could also be wristbands that can detect hand gestures via nerve sensors. If that works allright it would be pretty damn cool.

AmyS

New thread for new news?

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/News/Press/201510/15-083E/index.html
http://recode.net/2015/10/08/sony-acquires-softkinetic-which-can-track-hands-for-virtual-reality/

Sony Acquires SoftKinetic - Which Can Track Hands For Virtual Reality

Sony has acquired SoftKinetic, a computer vision startup specializing in depth-sensing cameras that can track things like what gestures your hands are making, for an undisclosed amount.

That’s a neat fit for Sony, which is working on both augmented reality smart glasses and a virtual reality headset, PlayStation VR, the latter of which is set to debut by the middle of next year. In prior meetings with Re/code, SoftKinetic has demonstrated how its patented sensing tech — which it had previously licensed out to companies like Sony and Intel — could be deployed in a camera mounted on AR and VR hardware to add hand-tracking input.

The company’s cameras are what’s known as “time of flight,” which means they work by shining a diffused laser out into the world and measuring how long it takes that laser to bounce back, similar to the motion camera Kinect that connects to Microsoft’s Xbox. What that means in consumer terms is that a person would be able to see and use his or her hands to grip, manipulate or otherwise interact with virtual objects while wearing a headset that might otherwise make them impossible to see.

Some kinectlike stuff, hmm at least it'd finally be interesting to use for me, thanks to actually being in that virtual 3d space and not just waving around in front of a flat picture 2m away.

Kinect 2 would really shine with a VR headset imho, but it doesn't seem like MS has any plans yet.

Some Softkinetics vids (Tumble 2 VR incoming? ;) ):

Kinect can't handle VR, since that camera only captures at 30hz and a VR-ready camera needs to be 120hz+.

Oh yeah, forgot about that, Kinect 3 it is then ;)

Alo0oy

Banned
Some kinectlike stuff, hmm at least it'd finally be interesting to use for me, thanks to actually being in that virtual 3d space and not just waving around in front of a flat picture 2m away.

Kinect 2 would really shine with a VR headset imho, but it doesn't seem like MS has any plans yet.

Kinect can't handle VR, since that camera only captures at 30hz and a VR-ready camera needs to be 120hz+.

^
that was fast

*edit*

I kept thinking a wristband or glove accessory would be the next step Sony would take with Move technology.
Needa keep my hype in check.

DieH@rd

Banned
All big companies are constantly patenting everything they can, no matter if they intend to use it in consumer/prosumer products or not. They want bigger patent warchest just in case they can extract some money from those patents down the line.

I personally don't expect any wild input devices for PSVR, at least not during this "VR generation". By the time PS5 launches in ~2019/2020 we will know well enough how successful VR market is, and what HW changes/additions need to be made.

daveo42

Banned
Was hoping for a replacement for the Move. Hoping they release some kind of add ons similar to what they used to demo PS VR to add the to experience and that those add ons are relatively inexpensive.

The guy is looking at the football way too weird

I'll make you squeal like a pig...skin.

ps3ud0

Did you guys miss this?

Did you :p. Guess it means at some point they'll have to replace the PS4 camera for something much more sophisticated like the Kinect for such hand tracking to work.

ps3ud0 8)

Alx

I never understood why he had to stand up to say that.

I don't remember the exact description, but the patent probably considered all kinds of interactions with the ad, including gestures. The illustration is of course naive but it's trying to display all options.

Top Bottom