• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park: The Stick of Truth |OT| Bigger, Longer, and Uncut (In select regions)

Dawg

otlogo6tvsng.png

Publisher: THQ Ubisoft
Developer(s): Obsidian Entertainment, South Park Digital Studios
Platform: PlayStation 3 | Xbox 360 | PC
Genre: Role-playing
Release Dates:

Price:

• Retail: $59,99 | €59,99 | £34,99
  • Grand Wizard Edition: $79,99 | €79,99

storyrfong.png

From the perilous battlefields of the fourth-grade playground, a young hero will rise, destined to be South Park’s savior. From the creators of South Park, Trey Parker and Matt Stone, comes an epic quest to become… cool. Introducing South Park: The Stick of Truth.

For a thousand years, the battle has been waged. The sole reason humans and elves are locked in a neverending war: The Stick of Truth. But the tides of war are soon to change as word of a new kid spreads throughout the land, his coming foretold by the stars. As the moving vans of prophecy drive away, your adventure begins.

Arm yourself with weapons of legend to defeat crabpeople, underpants gnomes, hippies, and other forces of evil. Discover the lost Stick of Truth and earn your place at the side of Stan, Kyle, Cartman, and Kenny as their new friend. Succeed, and you shall be South Park’s savior, cementing your social status in South Park Elementary. Fail, and you will forever be known… as a loser.

The game will take place predominantly within the town of South Park, where the children are all caught up in live-action role-playing. The player takes on the role of a new kid in town, joining in their game and ultimately making friends with the characters on the show.

Because Matt Stone does not like talking protagonists, the player character will be silent, better allowing the player to identify with their character.

gameplay3srcr.png

Customization
cartmanuguod.png

The game starts off with the player creating his or her avatar with Cartman. As the game is a role-playing game, there will be multiple ways to customize one's character. Obsidian claims that the level of customization outstrips that of any known online character generator.

One definitive aspect is what class the player chooses, which informs the approach the player takes to combat. There are four classes:

• Fighter
  • Mage
  • Thief
  • Jew - A paladin/monk type class invented by Cartman. Described as being "high risk, high reward", the player becomes more powerful the closer they are to death.

INTENSE COMBAT
combat7vstt.png

The game will feature turn-based combat similar to the kind seen in the Paper Mario and Final Fantasy games. However, fighting also has a timing component to it, with well-timed successive inputs resulting in larger combos or more successful defending. There will also be a summoning system, allowing the player to summon other characters to help in battle. Most battles will involve the player and his party against a group of enemies. Players will also control all members of their party so that they can remain in control throughout combat.

FAITHFUL ADAPTATION
adaptation8lsf7.png

During Obsidian's first meeting with Parker and Stone, it was decided that the game would only be made if it could faithfully represent the show's unique 2D look, which is based on the style of cutout animation. Obsidian provided the creators proofs of concept that they could achieve the South Park look, with which the creators were happy. Series creators Matt Stone and Trey Parker are overseeing development, writing the script, and doing voice-over work for the game.

CANON QUESTS
questso1lql.png

Because the game aims to emulate the South Park style, typical role-playing quests wherein the player is sent to a cave to retrieve some lost artifact wouldn't be thematically appropriate. Quests will be more grounded within the South Park canon, with one example being retrieving Kung Pao chicken from City Wok for Cartman. The way to City Wok may be imagined into something else, but the emphasis remains on making the player feel as if they are in the South Park universe. In this capacity, Stone and Parker have taken a direct role in the direction of the game's plot and general atmosphere.

mediadcqbu.png

Trailers

Screenshots

faq13qaa.png

Question: Are people actually excited for a South Park videogame? That IP doesn't scream fun gameplay to me.
They're going for a paper mario style of gameplay and admittedly I'm not very fond of that as I find the paper mario games to be way too simplistic. I'm mostly in it for the south park stuff.
Question: Why is everyone preordering that South Park game in the first place without even knowing whether the gameplay is fun at all? There's no reason to buy it day one
Derrick01 said:
It's an Obsidian game written by Matt and Trey, I doubt it'll be a bad game. At worst I expect something merely decent.
Question: Are South Park game nominations a running joke in the industry or something? How do they always pop up on various lists?
It's almost like it's a big game made by the best RPG designers the industry's ever seen and handled with the laser focus of Matt and Trey. Do you know what happens when Matt and Trey put that focus on a "side" project? They win oscars and tony awards.
Question: Huh ... people are more excited for South Park over MGSV? That sounds odd.
Absolutely. MGS 5's gameplay looks really bad and typical dumbed down modern stealth. The only reason it has any hype right now is solely based on its name.

South Park looks like it'll be a legitimately good and funny game.
Question: No one is saying South Park won't be a good game, but come on. Do you really think the core gaming crowd is going to consider that the most anticipated game of 2014? If you do, you're clueless and out of touch with the pulse of the gaming.
I don't give two fucks what the gaming community thinks when they're likely going to vote for whatever shooter the media and PR people tell them is the hot new thing. My problem is with the so called "gamers" who think it shouldn't even be nominated, and at the same time no reason has been given as to why it shouldn't. Although I already know the answer why, but no one will dare say it.
Question: South Park? Really?
Titanfall? Really?

Destiny? Really?
Wow, this game looks awful. Also, totally unnecessary rape jokes. Of course.
Getting upset over a rape joke in south park.

Fox news is that way --->

derrick2febfh.png

Nibel

If the game is nearly as good as this OT's title, then we have something outstanding looking forward to
KuGsj.gif

Tucah

you speak so well
Matt and Trey being so involved means I'm sure I'll at least enjoy the story no matter what the gameplay is like. I can't wait.

FHIZ

I thought there were only four classes? Cleric wasn't shown in the most recent demo, or am I mistaken?

nikos

Finally! Feels like I've been waiting forever.

Does anybody know if the PS3 version will look as crisp as the PC version? Still trying to decide which to get.

Almighty

Man I am pretty damned hype about this game. The 4th can't come soon enough. Also the thread title got a nice chuckle out of me.

Torgo

I hope they fixed the game with the extra time they were afforded. I have complete faith this time though, and I can't believe that I'm this excited to play an RPG.

Seance

Banned
Thing is Derrick won't be back here to be banned again next episode.

With Titanfall having no local servers and DS2 coming to PC whenever FROM feels like it, I might just have to get this day one :D

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Wish it was on next gen but got it for PC. This and titanfall are my 2 most wanted games this year.

JJD

Who is Derrick? Don't know anyone from SP with that name...but to be honest I haven't seen the show in quite some time...

Edit: I see now. Carry on.

Looking forward to this more as a new paper mario style game than anything else. Haven't watched South Park in at least 6-8 years, but it is hitting a certain low level nostalgia button at the same time.

Top Bottom