• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spicer is no longer expected to do a daily, on-camera briefings after foreign trip

Tovarisc

Several officials say Spicer is no longer expected to do a daily, on-camera briefing after Trump's foreign trip.

President Donald Trump is considering scaling back White House press secretary Sean Spicer’s public role, according to several officials familiar with the president’s thinking, as Trump also weighs a broader shakeup of his communications shop in the wake of several scandals.

The press secretary, who has turned into a household name over the past five months and garnered sky-high television ratings for his daily press briefings, has also drawn the ire of the president. He is no longer expected to do a daily, on-camera briefing after Trump’s foreign trip, the officials said.

The briefings have become one of the most dreaded parts of the president’s day, and Trump has told allies and aides he doesn't want Spicer, who has developed a belligerent persona from behind the podium, publicly defending and explaining the message anymore, officials added.

Plagued by crises that are engulfing his administration, Trump, in recent weeks, has been increasingly pointing his finger at the communications department to explain the administration’s failings. But that frustration isn’t new — in February, during an interview with “Fox & Friends,” Trump gave himself an A+ for effort and a low grade for communicating.

One senior White House official said deputy press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders will likely appear at the podium more often going forward, while Spicer will keep a senior role in the administration. Another official said to expect fewer on-camera briefings in general — something that the administration has been toying with since Trump entered office.

For his part, Spicer back is December said publicly that he would like to spend less time behind the podium and instead have a rotating cast of characters available to conduct the daily briefing. And traditionally, administrations work a deputy press secretary into the rotation more quickly than Trump’s White House has done.

A White House official and an outside adviser said Trump on Monday also blasted communications director Mike Dubke because of the stream of negative headlines about his presidency.

But others caution that Trump has not yet made up his mind entirely about Spicer and other changes to the press operation. Since taking office, the president has considered multiple staff changes that have yet to materialize.

Still, "the status quo won't continue," one official said. And conversations about how to revamp Spicer’s role, as well as the rest of the communications shop, have intensified in the past week.

Two officials said Trump doesn't want to throw Spicer overboard and has also told advisers he thinks the press secretary is treated unfairly.

Officials said Spicer is expected to stay in the White House, "but have less exposure," in the words of one official.

These officials also said rumors of Kim Guilfolye, the Fox News anchor, joining the administration and taking over Spicer’s spot at the podium were overblown and "not real.”

Source: http://www.politico.com/story/2017/05/18/will-sean-spicer-be-fired-238548

gcubed

A White House official and an outside adviser said Trump on Monday also blasted communications director Mike Dubke because of the stream of negative headlines about his presidency.

Why are you letting me do stupid things?!?!

Well it's not like Trump and his xenophobic racist treason filled belligerent waffling message was making Spicer's job any easier.

Guevara

I don't get why they bother even having a press conference.

I also don't get why individual members of congress bother holding town halls.

Link

The Autumn Wind

Most of the GOP congress members have stopped having them altogether. I would expect Trump's administration will stop having briefings soon too.

So much for democracy, transparency, accountability, et al.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member

I think the town halls are still useful. They don't engage with the constituents on the spot, sure, but they get a chance to take a pulse of their angrier constituents that they may later bring up in private while back on the Hill.

DonShula

Guys, all he wants to do is get only his message out and no one else's and have no one judge it or second guess it and have everyone just stop consuming all other media. Is that too much to ask?

Interesting how the story consistently places blame of Spicer and not on people like Conway for poor communication.

Or on himself for not staying on message for that matter =_='

sangreal

These officials also said rumors of Kim Guilfolye, the Fox News anchor, joining the administration and taking over Spicer's spot at the podium were overblown and "not real."

Mind you, this "rumor" came from Guilfolye herself, who brilliantly told the news she was in talks for Spicer's not-vacant position

Interesting how the story consistently places blame of Spicer and not on people like Conway for poor communication.

Or on himself for not staying on message for that matter =_='

Trump can never be wrong, so it must be the communications team failing to show us how right he is. Conway has barely been seen in ages

Hazmat

I imagine sometime in August we'll get the news that he's resigning to spend more time angrily yelling at his family.

iammeiam

I'm legitimately surprised that Spicey simply hasn't been fired yet.

I'm not sure how much of this would be because Trump wants Spicer out, though. He seems to be pissed about the press briefings as a whole.

I could see him keeping Spicer around to trot out for 'event' press meetings, since he's always liked the ratings Spicer got. Let Sanders be the common face, then Spicey for big stuff.

RPGCrazied

Well, he went through like what 4 campaign managers? If he lasts a term, expect for him to have many of them during it.

Spicer is "loyal" to trump, so trump won't come down hard on him even when he fucks up

Spicey:

hBEkgb5.jpg

If he doesn't have a similar drinking problem, he soon will.

Trump's lucky he even has someone as shitty as Spicer is. I can't imagine at this point anyone with half a brain taking his position. It would be career suicide in all likelihood.

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
I guess we won't be Sean' Spicer as much anymore.

Top Bottom