• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stadia Will Need a Smartphone to Work

marquimvfs

According to Brasilgamer (owned by Eurogamer Portugal), Stadia will need a smartphone to work. Google revealed at a Reddit session that a smartphone is required to make the initial setup and the game purchases. But, what's more strange is the fact that the service will only be compatible with some Pixel smartphones at launch, greatly reducing the market that the service could reach when it arrives, on November 19.

More at the source (in portuguese): https://www.eurogamer.pt/articles/2019-11-14-google-stadia-exigira-telemovel-para-comprar-jogos

Edit: Found explanation on the FAQ, looks like some info were deeply misunderstood by the source. The initial setup and game purchases won't need a Pixel phone.
Which mobile devices (tablets and phones) will support Stadia at launch?
At launch we will be supporting Pixel 2, Pixel 3, Pixel 3a, and Pixel 4 phones for mobile gameplay, tablets running Chrome OS, and more devices will be made available in the future. However, purchasing games and managing your content can be done from any iOS 11+ or Android M+ device that can run the Stadia app.
But, there's more news regarding controller support.
5WByeAk.jpg

Last edited:

ROMhack

On a serious note, imagine spending $1k on a phone and not owning a monitor/TV... can't wrap my head around it.

Last edited:

Herr Edgy

Oh come on, that's clearly BS. The tweet says "Play Stadia ON those phones" not "with" those phones, which clearly means that you'll be able to stream to your phone. Not that you require it to play on anything in the first place.

EDIT: As for the reddit post that sparked this, CONTEXT matters. It's in response to "Will a phone have to be used every time you try to use stadia on the chromecast to cast stadia, or just for initial setup? ". The response strictly refers to this scenario, although granted, I can see how you can misread it.

Last edited:

ookami

That clickbait title. Just enough information to generate outrage. :messenger_ok:
Well, nothing really surprising in having your phone to only set up the online platform [1] when you're used to two-time authentication. However, having to buy your games only from the mobile app makes no sense.
If you're a Stadia client I guess it is too late to worry about chrome casting only to Pixel phones. There are already so many wrong things with the offer.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
Ok, so please help me understand if I have this wrong. In order to get Stadia on day 1 with the wireless controller, you need to buy a Chromebook, the controller, a $10/month subscription, and a Pixel phone?

That's an oddly specific demographic. It's sounding more and more clear that they actually want to limit how many people jump in right away. This thing coming out soon is a paid beta test while they continue building these server nodes.

marquimvfs

Oh come on, that's clearly BS. The tweet says "Play Stadia ON those phones" not "with" those phones, which clearly means that you'll be able to stream to your phone. Not that you require it to play on anything in the first place.

EDIT: As for the reddit post that sparked this, CONTEXT matters. It's in response to "Will a phone have to be used every time you try to use stadia on the chromecast to cast stadia, or just for initial setup? ". The response strictly refers to this scenario, although granted, I can see how you can misread it.
Well, that's what i was thinking, but there's more than 1 source spreading this info. if that's the case, the bullshit isn't mine, the source says exactly that. We can only hope they all misinterpreted the thinks google said. In the scenario where the source is wrong, i think that the best way it could work is by letting any smartphone setup Stadia and buy games, but, for now, only stream to said Pixel phones...

Last edited:
Ok, so please help me understand if I have this wrong. In order to get Stadia on day 1 with the wireless controller, you need to buy a Chromebook, the controller, a $10/month subscription, and a Pixel phone?

That's an oddly specific demographic. It's sounding more and more clear that they actually want to limit how many people jump in right away. This thing coming out soon is a paid beta test while they continue building these server nodes.
It reminds me of how Kinect for XBoxOne, at launch, could not work in Europe. In the sense that the product was only tested under a very specific condition and was never ready for wider release.

Google is treating the Stadia launch like it is some kind of software. Not realising that hadware launch is entirely different to software.

That is actually Sony's main advantage over Microsoft overall when it comes to game consoles; Sony is a Hardware company, while MS is still a Software company at heart. To launch software is fine, but to launch Stadia you still need hardware. And Google is failing on the Hardware front HARD.

Ovek

7Member7
Google always pulls the same crap with pixel phones, it was the same shit with wireless Android Auto this basic bitch feature (wow video over wifi, sound familiar?) only just made it to very specific Samsung phones.

Stadia can burn.

Ma-Yuan

This is braindead stupid . . . I mean who is getting paid to come up with such nonsense . . . Not that I would be into streaming games anyway or ever. But this like running a marathon with both legs tied together tight . . .

down 2 orth

Wow, good luck with that strategy. You want us to spend all that money to become your product? And it such a silly and inconvenient way?

DESTROYA

Stadia is like the turd floating in the bathroom shitter ,it just sits there getting smellier by the minute, nobody wants to look at it but eventually it’s gonna get flushed down the toilet.

Top Bottom