• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stanford's humanoid robotic diver recovers treasures from King Louis XIV wreck

Status
Not open for further replies.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Zkhcs07.jpg

https://news.stanford.edu/2016/04/27/robotic-diver-recovers-treasures/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1HmgP9l4VY

Maiden voyage of Stanford's humanoid robotic diver recovers treasures from King Louis XIV's wrecked flagship
The robot, called OceanOne, is powered by artificial intelligence and haptic feedback systems, allowing human pilots an unprecedented ability to explore the depths of the oceans in high fidelity.
The expedition to La Lune was OceanOne’s maiden voyage. Based on its astonishing success, Khatib hopes that the robot will one day take on highly skilled underwater tasks too dangerous for human divers, as well as open up a whole new realm of ocean exploration.

“OceanOne will be your avatar,” Khatib said. “The intent here is to have a human diving virtually, to put the human out of harm’s way. Having a machine that has human characteristics that can project the human diver’s embodiment at depth is going to be amazing.”

The concept for OceanOne was born from the need to study coral reefs deep in the Red Sea, far below the comfortable range of human divers. No existing robotic submarine can dive with the skill and care of a human diver, so OceanOne was conceived and built from the ground up, a successful marriage of robotics, artificial intelligence and haptic feedback systems.

OceanOne looks something like a robo-mermaid. Roughly five feet long from end to end, its torso features a head with stereoscopic vision that shows the pilot exactly what the robot sees, and two fully articulated arms. The “tail” section houses batteries, computers and eight multi-directional thrusters.

zKWdnBn.jpg

TbP0sZV.jpg

HdqYA5U.jpg

Looks cute.

oh, come on. deep sea aside, robots like that aren't "creepy", "scary", or "weird". they're actually really cool. they have nice colours, good build, etc. they work, don't they? we do the job correct, unlike humans. they don't deserve the hate, c'mon guys.

Amalthea

Banned
Sounds more like a mech than a pure robot. So if he does something evil there'd most likely a person behind.

Also where tha booty at?

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
The hands being humanoid have a purpose. The two cameras being stereoscopic do as well, but I guess you could argue it doesn't need a "head" shape. Is it a hinderance, though?

Skunkers

As someone interested in the humanities, I come into the thread and everybody is discussing the robot, and I'm sitting here wondering "What King Louis XIV treasures???".

Cool robot though.

cameron

The body looks far unlike conventional boxy robotic submersibles, but it’s the hands that really set OceanOne apart. Each fully articulated wrist is fitted with force sensors that relay haptic feedback to the pilot’s controls, so the human can feel whether the robot is grasping something firm and heavy, or light and delicate. (Eventually, each finger will be covered with tactile sensors.) The ‘bot’s brain also reads the data and makes sure that its hands keep a firm grip on objects, but that they don’t damage things by squeezing too tightly. In addition to exploring shipwrecks, this makes it adept at manipulating delicate coral reef research and precisely placing underwater sensors.
Haptic feedback is the coolest part of it all.

Obligatory:
zHfQ07Y.gif
kwltZPf.gif

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
cool stuff

The hands being humanoid have a purpose. The two cameras being stereoscopic do as well, but I guess you could argue it doesn't need a "head" shape. Is it a hinderance, though?

I guess they want to try and control the head unit with an HMD, it would certainly be quite intuitive for the operator.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom