• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek Discovery is thankfully over, and they revealed the mystery around David Cronenberg's character in the end

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
Didn't watch the final season of DISCO. They were basing it off the TNG episode "The Chase" and, uh, nope.

But they did reveal the mystery of who David Cronenberg's character is. Ever since DISCO got to the 31st century he's been this guy who knows everything but tells them nothing. Instead of making him just be David Cronenberg, he's a character from Enterprise:

He's the temporal cold war guy "Daniels" from Enterprise:
star-trek-daniels-matt-winston.png

Ovek

7Member7
The last season of Disco is the best season of Disco by far.

The Daniels reveal at the end was nicely done and quickly answered who he was without leaving it open never to be touched again. Going to guess that's one of the many things they filmed on reshoots when they found out Disco was cancelled.

Thaedolus

After watching Fury Road on streaming I was like hey Star Trek Generations, member when I was 10?

Member the Ferris Bueller captain? And Scottie?

Oh…this kinda sucks, but the lighting is good.

Let’s turn it off and watch Undiscovered Country instead.

I actually think despite the first several poor episodes of Discovery Season 1, Season 1 & 2 Are very good. But, they don’t feel like Star Trek Of old.

Personally, I would love to see new show or miniseries focus on a new crew at DS9. Have some sort of tie in with a few of the older characters.

I know I will get all sorts of crap for this…DS9 is the best story and character development of the whole Star Trek universe, while Generations is the best show (But only slightly ahead of DS9). DS9 is criminally underrated in all of sci-fi.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Serious question...

What would you guys want in a future Star Trek show? The same well tread stories and group dynamics of a crew? Another Enterprise? Things to stay the same from the TNG/DS9/Voy days? No going into the far future of the Federation?

Edit: DS9 was different enough from the other shows with it focusing on a space station, somewhat the same enemies per season, war, a Captain who had his own child with him and who eventually got married, etc. It was amazing! It's why I've really enjoyed Discovery in the 32nd Century and Strange New Worlds ... Even Lower Decks is different enough from old Trek being a comedy and focusing on the ... Lower Deckers instead of the Bridge crew.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Serious question...

What would you guys want in a future Star Trek show? The same well tread stories and group dynamics of a crew? Another Enterprise? Things to stay the same from the TNG/DS9/Voy days? No going into the far future of the Federation?

Writing that actually gave a shit like in Voyager, DS9, TNG. Not this slacktivist driven retarded nonsense we have now.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Writing that actually gave a shit like in Voyager, DS9, TNG. Not this slacktivist driven retarded nonsense we have now.

Again... I don't know what's "slacktivist" about Discovery or Strange New Worlds or even Lower Decks... Give me an example of what you mean? Unless you mean a Captain who is always right or always the hero... Because that's been almost every Trek Captain since Kirk (or Archer if you want to be technical).

Last edited:
Serious question...

Edit: DS9 was different enough from the other shows with it focusing on a space station, somewhat the same enemies per season, war, a Captain who had his own child with him and who eventually got married, etc. It was amazing! It's why I've really enjoyed Discovery in the 32nd Century and Strange New Worlds ... Even Lower Decks is different enough from old Trek being a comedy and focusing on the ... Lower Deckers instead of the Bridge crew.
I prefer they focus on DS9 again, if even more a just miniseries.

But, i think the show needs to steer away from previous characters like Kirk, Picard, Pike, etc. I would like to see the focus deep space and exploring new places with less “old” characters and races and maybe discovering new places and races.

Or a more grounded show that focuses on the darkness and seediness of the universe under Starfleet and find some message of “hope” to bring to it. A more grounded series, essentially. Maybe take place at an academy or outpost. Returning to DS9 with a new crew is my first choice, by FAR.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I prefer they focus on DS9 again, if even more a just miniseries.

But, i think the show needs to steer away from previous characters like Kirk, Picard, Pike, etc. I would like to see the focus deep space and exploring new places with less “old” characters and races and maybe discovering new places and races.

Or a more grounded show that focuses on the darkness and seediness of the universe under Starfleet and find some message of “hope” to bring to it. A more grounded series, essentially. Maybe take place at an academy or outpost.

StarFleet Academy is coming starring Holly Hunter.

I have been hoping they could make the New Frontier novels a canon TV show or mini series! We need a Brikar in live action!

The 10-C race introduced in Disco last season was SO NEW and not humanoid like every other species in ST. The mystery was awesome!

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Serious question...

I have no problem with the series going where no trek has gone before. It's just that the quality of writing in disco is uh, not great. And then there's the fact that they decided the show would have a single main character, they made that character vulcdan and told the actress to act like a vulcan for two seaons, which made the show egregious to watch. By the third season they relaized of their mistake and 180'd the character, breaking continuity.

Oh and... you won't like it, but they were making very deliberate choices when it comes to casting, to make sure to underepresent star treks traditional fandom.

Dev1lXYZ

Serious question...

I think it’s time for Star Trek to end. The writers of this time aren’t capable of anything but building up to a space battle with a new bad guy. If the writers don’t write in that manner, no one will watch it. So it’s a no win scenario.

mcjmetroid

Serious question...

Basically what the Orville ended up doing. Which is basically the best star trek trek show since ds9

Ownage

Star Trek Online made a pretty good plot. Has most of the actors from the series reprising their roles. I'll take it as canon over the recent shows.

Yeah I was kinda like "Erm ok, I don't know any Daniels from the Enterprise who the hell is that ?". I never watched Enterprise it just bored me to tears stopped halfway through the first season. So this big reveal was kinda lost on me and I suspect a great

wvnative

The real mystery of ST Discovery. How fat can tilly get before failing the Star Fleet physical.

I also don't get how anyone is that out of shape. Didn't TNG state that replicators can re-create taste perfectly while just having the healthy amount of nutrients and bad stuff removed?

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I also don't get how anyone is that out of shape. Didn't TNG state that replicators can re-create taste perfectly while just having the healthy amount of nutrients and bad stuff removed?

And yet there were fat Star fleet officers (mostly admirals and captains)... Also... Most officers in StarFleet don't have to be Navy Seal fit ... Just fit enough to do the basics like running, which Tilly can do. Not running for 30 minutes or more... Just run to safety (adrenaline can make you perform superhumanly) ... A normal officer's duty doesn't require much strength or fitness level. Especially in Engineering... A ship officer's job is basically desk duty.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Yeah I was kinda like "Erm ok, I don't know any Daniels from the Enterprise who the hell is that ?". I never watched Enterprise it just bored me to tears stopped halfway through the first season. So this big reveal was kinda lost on me and I suspect a great
Enterprise started slow but I think it got better after a subsequent run-in with the Klingons. Now that Archer had enemies and there was risk on the table I think it made the stories less cheery. I enjoyed the Xindi storyline where the hopeful optimism was completely replaced with purpose and determination. I just wish the fourth season would have started better because those early episodes absolutely destroyed any chance for a fifth season.

Hudo

Gold Member
Serious question...

Chain all the writers to chairs and make them watch Star Trek TOS, Next Generation and Voyager over and over again.

Then force them to get degrees in literature or drama and then have them write a TV series. Don't just fucking employ danger-hair bloggers as writers.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I actually never minded Discovery. It wasn’t great but it wasn’t bad. I stopped at the end of season 2 though so what do I know.

RAÏSanÏa

Representation is cool with me and I do encourage/support it. The heavy handed way the meta was handled by STD was bad. Even worse it seemed only to be there as lesser tokens for the main character's story in the 3 seasons I watched. The rest were like minor characters used as stepping stones, not allies, for lionizing Burnham. Everything about the show was to make Burnham the best of the best of the best with honors in comparison to everyone else(Tilly said as much at some point and that was when I decided I didn't care to watch much more Star Trek: Burnham). A person shouldn't be able to say "the main character" about a Star Trek show, as its ensemble-ish, and fans know immediately exactly which character is being refered to unless the show is meant to be all about them.

Shame about Lower Decks being cancelled. That show rocks. Took a season to foot its characters, but once they steadied them, it's been great storytelling that gives all the characters, even minor ones room to shine. D'Erika lol. Strange New Worlds does this well too. Anson Mount would make a great Lex Luthor imo. Everyone would understand his motivation if Supe caused him to be bald.

THE DUCK

Banned
Admittedly I was only half paying attention since the show has devolved into pretty much crap, but I thought that they were saying that guy at the end was Data. Lol

Top Bottom