• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: Hunters out now on Switch

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
star-wars-hunters-nintendo-switch-eshop-1500x844.jpg

MNgOLkz.png

(Ignore the Jimquisition review, seems like trolling as normal)

Quietly droped a few days ago on iOS, Android, and Switch this is absolutely a F2P mobile game, but it's...actually pretty good. It's a team-based arena shooter with COD style game modes (TDM, Domination, Hardpoint, etc) with Overwatch style heroes. Since it's designed for mobile, games are super quick; about 5 minutes each. But that gives is a real quick and fun gameplay loop. I just marathoned ranked games for over an hour last night on Switch.

It's F2P and of course there's a battle pass (I used some Nintendo gold points on it to get the Mando hero), but ALL of the normal heroes can be unlocked just by playing. You gain medals like in COD during matches and those give you exp that go towards unlocking the heroes. There are 13 and just in the time I played yesterday I nearly have half of them unlocked.

It does run like shit on the Switch though. After playing it for a while on the Switch I downloaded on my ancient iPhone 13, which runs it at a higher resolution and 60fps with better graphic details. But the Switch version is worth it because it naturally plays better on the Pro controller.

Since it's on mobile there are a TON of people playing and matches are always full.

IGN seems to be liking it too:

It's very shit post-like and most the character designs are bad. lol. I did the tutorial, I'll try the main game but I'll probably dip after a while.

• Fire
Reactions: Isa

MiguelItUp

I've been playing it on mobile (Android) and have really been enjoying it, which is really weird to say. Feels more like a real game than any other game I've played on mobile, personally. If you're a Star Wars fan and enjoy competitive shooters at all I'd give it a shot. I haven't purchased anything and have been unlocking characters at a pretty decent rate.

BlackTron

Gold Member
I've been playing it on mobile (Android) and have really been enjoying it, which is really weird to say. Feels more like a real game than any other game I've played on mobile, personally. If you're a Star Wars fan and enjoy competitive shooters at all I'd give it a shot. I haven't purchased anything and have been unlocking characters at a pretty decent rate.

The combo of this and being free might finally convince me to play a shooter using a Switch controller

KXVXII9X

It is actually pretty decent. I'm not too far into it and still unlocking characters but find it a bit fun for a quick drop in drop out gameplay session. It looks really good for a mobile game and runs really smooth on my phone. I just wonder about the monetization going forward and how often they will update parts of the game like maps, modes, and character roster.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
It is actually pretty decent. I'm not too far into it and still unlocking characters but find it a bit fun for a quick drop in drop out gameplay session. It looks really good for a mobile game and runs really smooth on my phone. I just wonder about the monetization going forward and how often they will update parts of the game like maps, modes, and character roster.

It's the same as any F2P shooter. Cash shop with cosmetics, battle-pass every two months.

KXVXII9X

It's the same as any F2P shooter. Cash shop with cosmetics, battle-pass every two months.
I get that, but I am just wondering how frequent things outside of monetization will be added in. I actually wouldn't mind paying for some of these games if things outside of cosmetics were also given more attention. Most of the new content for these kinds of games is just how cool you can make your character while the base game never gets added upon unless it is Fortnite and a few others.

BlackTron

Gold Member
Total clone of Overwatch down to having payloads and Ultimate abilities, but different in that it's super basic and not as competitive/tryhard as OW. Surprisingly, this is to its benefit IMO, it's a dumb fun game you can turn your brain off, with a bunch of people playing as a wookiee with a controller instead of Widow with a mouse.

On my first match I had first place with 420 points. I could have a worse time for free lol

Isa

For me it boils down to hideous character designs. Not one appeals to me in a hero shooter. So no I'll never touch it. Glad some are liking it though.

BlackTron

Gold Member
For me it boils down to hideous character designs. Not one appeals to me in a hero shooter. So no I'll never touch it. Glad some are liking it though.

I kinda agree but I think the SW aesthetic carries it, though it shouldn't have to alone.

Isa

I kinda agree but I think the SW aesthetic carries it, though it shouldn't have to alone.
That's the thing though for me, I know what came before and have been soured on Star Wars, in fact almost all big IP since various corpos took over and imho drove them into the ground. So its already on bad footing for me. But I'm an easy sucker for a pretty face and smokin' bod. A few light sabres and blaster effects and screaming tie-fighter sounds aren't enough to get me to try even a free game in a sea of competition.

BlackTron

Gold Member
That's the thing though for me, I know what came before and have been soured on Star Wars, in fact almost all big IP since various corpos took over and imho drove them into the ground. So its already on bad footing for me. But I'm an easy sucker for a pretty face and smokin' bod. A few light sabres and blaster effects and screaming tie-fighter sounds aren't enough to get me to try even a free game in a sea of competition.

I still like the SW aesthetic and setting, I'll take what scraps I can get without dealing with some dogshit story

• Strength

jufonuk

not tag worthy
So long as I dont have to spend a penny im in. Liked it so far and won a few matches. But then in between matches it feels like it is a gambling game etc. Have to go between various menus. Etc.

Aesthetics I don’t mind. I think the art style will age well.

Last edited:

KXVXII9X

Total clone of Overwatch down to having payloads and Ultimate abilities, but different in that it's super basic and not as competitive/tryhard as OW. Surprisingly, this is to its benefit IMO, it's a dumb fun game you can turn your brain off, with a bunch of people playing as a wookiee with a controller instead of Widow with a mouse.

On my first match I had first place with 420 points. I could have a worse time for free lol
It being a bit dumbed down is one reason I enjoy it a bit more. The first several matches are placed with bots to ween you into the game, so it seems really easy at first. Then you get rushed down by Rieve and panic (maybe just me).

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
It being a bit dumbed down is one reason I enjoy it a bit more. The first several matches are placed with bots to ween you into the game, so it seems really easy at first. Then you get rushed down by Rieve and panic (maybe just me).

Been having some real close matches in Ranked.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
The character names alone (Sentinel, Utooni, Diago, Charr, Sprocket, etc..) tells me this is generic as fuck and I don't need to play this game.

Billbofet

I tried it for a bit on my Switch Lite. I looks like ass and plays like a 2010 shooter, but dammit if I didn't have a tiny bit of fun.
That said, it is generic as hell, so I don't think I would be interested for too long.

Top Bottom