• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarTalk (Neil deGrasse Tyson's podcast) - The Science of Video Games

Cranzor

StarTalk is a podcast by Neil deGrasse Tyson that covers many different areas of science. This episode is dedicated to the science of video games. This is only part one of two about the topic. I'll update the thread when the second part comes out.

The guests are Jeffrey Ryan, author of Super Mario - How Nintendo Conquered America and Will Wright, who most of you probably already know. Will Wright discusses the biological urge to play, design philosophies of SimCity and SimAnt, and how the human imagination works in parallel to a computer processor.

I found the episode interesting and I thought some of you guys would too.

The episode can be found here.

Lanbeast

I just checked my phone this morning for a new Startalk and was disappointed to see nothing new, so this must have gone up afterward. Can't wait to listen in.

Why do they try so hard to sound like an AM Radio show? Other than that and the comedian butting in too much, the show was great. Will Wright is always fascinating to listen to and I'm eager to hear what's on part 2.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Why do they try so hard to sound like an AM Radio show? Other than that and the comedian butting in too much, the show was great. Will Wright is always fascinating to listen to and I'm eager to hear what's on part 2.
It's also a radio show, I think?

Shiggie

It is a radio show and Eugene Mirman is amazing
LLShC.gif

LLShC.gif

I also find him funny, but then I also wish they went into a smidge more depth or made a few more comments on some of the really interesting stuff they talk about.

Working my way backwards through the episodes has been really fun and informative so far, I loved the episodes with Wil Wheaton he's really funny too.

LLShC.gif

I'm not seeing anything on the website that indicates this is broadcast over airwaves.

Eugene Mirman is a funny guy,don't get me wrong, but he needs to take a step back from the mic when grown folks is talking.

Another thumbs up for the recommendation, subscribed immediately. As for this episode I'm going to wait on it until part 2 is out. The previous two episodes about Mars were entertaining though.

Episode 2 is now available: StarTalk

In Part 2 of The Science of Video Games, Neil and Will Wright discuss artificial intelligence, the Turing Test, IBM’s Watson and how Spore ascends in scale from a microscopic organism to a multi-player galaxy where everyone can encounter the life forms you create. Jeffrey Ryan explains the secret origin of Lara Croft to co-host Eugene Mirman and how fear is built into the mechanics of survival horror games like Resident Evil. You’ll also learn how the lines between the virtual and real world are blurring, from “Gold Farmers” in China who support online economies in World of Warcraft, to military drone pilots who grew up on video games, to soldiers in Iraq who return from patrol and play Counter-Strike on Xbox in their tents.

Chris_C

Does anyone have a link to the RSS feed? I tried adding it to Google Reader and Google Listen, but it tells me there's no audio at the location.

Episode 2 is now available: StarTalk

In Part 2 of The Science of Video Games, Neil and Will Wright discuss artificial intelligence, the Turing Test, IBM’s Watson and how Spore ascends in scale from a microscopic organism to a multi-player galaxy where everyone can encounter the life forms you create. Jeffrey Ryan explains the secret origin of Lara Croft to co-host Eugene Mirman and how fear is built into the mechanics of survival horror games like Resident Evil. You’ll also learn how the lines between the virtual and real world are blurring, from “Gold Farmers” in China who support online economies in World of Warcraft, to military drone pilots who grew up on video games, to soldiers in Iraq who return from patrol and play Counter-Strike on Xbox in their tents.

This is honestly one of the more disappointing episodes, Will Wright aside. Ryan in particular provides very flimsy contributions for someone who has published a book on the industry.

Top Bottom