• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter 5's character select screen looks great

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
CF0HQ8Q.png

This is how you say "f* you" to your fans. What a shame.
You need 100.000 FP to unlock a character, and I have 120 after 3 hours. GREAT!

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
What year is it.gif

Game is old as dirt, better yet why don't you at least have the Champion Edition of the game if you're playing this late.
I bought the base game years ago, but didn't get much chance to play it. Years later, I felt like playing again and reinstalled it, but I was disappointed. I'm not considering giving another $20 to such a company.

TwiztidElf

From memory there was some easy/quick way to farm enough FP to buy two characters at least. Not saying it's right still, but I was able to grab the two I cared about without paying.

[Sigma]

From memory there was some easy/quick way to farm enough FP to buy two characters at least. Not saying it's right still, but I was able to grab the two I cared about without paying.
It was extremely easy but they ended up nerfing it some. I only actually paid for one season. Beating the game on the story and survival(easy, normal, hard) was relatively easy resulting in a bunch of FM. That's not including the trials.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
But they didn't rob of you anything.
SF 4 released with 25 characters, Ultimate version had 44---link
SF Alpha 3 had 25 characters.
SF 5 released with 16 characters—you can unlock 29 more with DLCs (or by playing 2000 hours). At least 9 characters are missing.

Klosshufvud

SF6 is going to be like that too down the line. Same with every recent fighting game. It's shameful that older characters don't become free after a while. It's so stupid buying a fighting game late (or not playing until a few years after purchase) and realize you're basically using a glorified demo version of the game. No other online competitive game functions like this. Where essential gameplay is locked behind paid DLC. I wish the fighting game community made a bigger deal out of this.

[Sigma]

SF 4 released with 25 characters, Ultimate version had 44---link
SF Alpha 3 had 25 characters.
SF 5 released with 16 characters—you can unlock 29 more with DLCs (or by playing 2000 hours). At least 9 characters are missing.
SFIV had an arcade scene which helped test and fund game for release. Tekken used to do this too.

Street Fighter Alpha 3 was the 3rd iteration of the series and released 3 games within 4 years. In today's age this would have pissed people off as it would be considered DLC.

Last edited:
What year is it.gif

Game is old as dirt, better yet why don't you at least have the Champion Edition of the game if you're playing this late.
I'm a bit confused by this thread, sorry for the probably dumb question.

The Champion Edition has all the characters unlocked by default, right?

And OP is playing a past version?

I want to play this game very much, haven't yet.
If you need to unlock the characters in any version, I may as well skip it... I don't want to play with characters I don't give a single shit about (Like Ken) to unlock ones I actually want to play as.

[Sigma]

I'm a bit confused by this thread, sorry for the probably dumb question.

The Champion Edition has all the characters unlocked by default, right?

And OP is playing a past version?

I want to play this game very much, haven't yet.
If you need to unlock the characters in any version, I may as well skip it... I don't want to play with characters I don't give a single shit about (Like Ken) to unlock ones I actually want to play as.
OP has the base version that has been updated to the Champion Edition and includes the last balance of the game. It doesn't include the characters that Champion Edition had. Champion Edition has all characters (40) except for season 5 but you can get those bundled together now. I think it's $40 right now but im guessing it goes on sale a bit I think so I would just wait for another sale maybe if you don't want to commit to that price point.

If we are talking about the physical version, it's only Champion Edition that's available but without Season 5 which you have to pay for.

Last edited:
Sadly, that first pic from the OP describes the vast majority of modern fighting games which are glorified and expensive live service games. Ever since DLC and Season passes became accepted and even celebrated, things really snowballed out of control where getting all the content in fighting games usually cost more than buying the console with the game.

NT80

Sadly, that first pic from the OP describes the vast majority of modern fighting games which are glorified and expensive live service games. Ever since DLC and Season passes became accepted and even celebrated, things really snowballed out of control where getting all the content in fighting games usually cost more than buying the console with the game.
It replaced sequels. Instead of having 3 full priced fighting games in a console generation there's one that gets new paid content and free updates. Some might like it this way others might prefer the old way.
Where it's really bad is when one of these release at full price with very little content like SFV did. KOF14/15 and Tekken 8 at least came out with a lot of characters and content.

OP has the base version that has been updated to the Champion Edition and includes the last balance of the game. It doesn't include the characters that Champion Edition had. Champion Edition has all characters (40) except for season 5 but you can get those bundled together now. I think it's $40 right now but im guessing it goes on sale a bit I think so I would just wait for another sale maybe if you don't want to commit to that price point.

If we are talking about the physical version, it's only Champion Edition that's available but without Season 5 which you have to pay for.
Ah, got it!
Thank you for explaining it.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
I bought the base game years ago, but didn't get much chance to play it. Years later, I felt like playing again and reinstalled it, but I was disappointed. I'm not considering giving another $20 to such a company.
Put this game away and start playing SF6 now so you don't come back here 10 years later complaining about having to unlock all the characters in that game as they're added.

nikos

Street Fighter has continued to get worse after SFIV, and I've been a fan since the original. It's a shame.

Also, fighting games aren't what they used to be. You can't expect to have everything available in most fighting games anymore.

To be fair, SFV Champion Edition is cheap and should at least include all characters if I recall correctly.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Kind of off topic but I didn't think I would really love a SF game again after SFIII but I ended up loving and playing a ton of SFIV. Never even tried V. Strange.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Put this game away and start playing SF6 now so you don't come back here 10 years later complaining about having to unlock all the characters in that game as they're added.
You can't unlock new characters in SF6 without real money afaik. Somehow they managed to make it worse than SF 5. So, I don't need to start playing early; maybe someday, if I get really excited, I'll buy the $20-30 apology edition.

When you get ken and ryu who the fuck cares?
I guess that's the direction things are heading. They're going to sell Ken or Ryu for $60, and as always, there will be people defending it.

Last edited:

NeverYouMind

Gold Member
At least it's not DoA 6, with its 461 DLCs.
It is only this way because it sells stuff in bundles and individually. The one stage that was added was free. I thought Mai and Kula were cool extras and Tamaki was a unique addition. Rachel and Momji as DLC was kinda suspect. Still, it was a lot more reasonable than Dead or Alive 5. That one was squeezing blood from the stone and unfortunately Mai and the Attack on Titan stage got delisted so it is forever incomplete. :(

P.S. You have no idea how expensive Street Fighter IV content was. Not only did you have to pay to upgrade the version, but practically everything was in $15+ bundles.

Last edited:

Klosshufvud

You can't unlock new characters in SF6 without real money afaik. Somehow they managed to make it worse than SF 5. So, I don't need to start playing early; maybe someday, if I get really excited, I'll buy the $20-30 apology edition.

I guess that's the direction things are heading. They're going to sell Ken or Ryu for $60, and as always, there will be people defending it.
Yup. In SF6 both Akuma and Bison are sold as DLC. Pretty shameless considering the weak base roster. But fans seem to love paying for roster essential characters separately.

I got all streetfighters incl the anniversary ones and everything unlocked for 13 eu. Screw all the season passes. I'll get 6 in about 3 years time when it's a buck fifty for the complete game.

Top Bottom