• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz remake Tabegoro! Super Monkey Ball announced for PS4, Switch, and PC

Mista

Banned
Tabegoro-Super-Monkey-Ball-Fami_07-16-19_001-600x338.jpg

The latest issue of Weekly Famitsu reveals Tabegoro! Super Monkey Ball, a remake of the 2006-released Wii title Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz, for PlayStation 4, Switch, and PC (Steam). The PlayStation 4 and Switch versions will launch on October 31 in Japan (the PC version is still to be dated).

Weekly Famitsu coverage introduces the game’s its features and appeal, as well as all sorts of additional features, and has an interview with Super Monkey Ball creator and Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio head Toshihiro Nagoshi and Tabegoro! Super Monkey Ball producer and director Masao Shirosaki.

Saber

Gold Member
How this game fair with the other of series? I heard there are some very punishing and easy to drop by.

clem84

Gold Member
IIRC, this game on the Wii was motion control only right? I'm pretty sure that's out the window. Not sure if I'll be getting it for PS4 or Switch, but one of them for sure.

Birdo

Banned
Wait. The XBO is the only console that doesn't have motion sensors in it's controller................ Oh no............ It's going to be montion control only isn't it.

EDIT: Nevermind, it's coming to XBO too.

Last edited:

JCK75

Damn that sucks... I want Monkey Target and BB had the most useless version of it from any Monkey Ball Game.
I just want the GC version ported .

mcjmetroid

This might be great if they rework most of the mini games. This game had a really shit version of Monkey target. Just use the one from monkey ball 2.

The 1 player was fun though.
Also lose the motion controls which I assume they will.

Dane

Its coming to xbox too

As I expected, the japanese announcement was the first one for hours, so the Xbox version was obviously not included, if it was a Square Enix game then it would be almost sure that it wouldn't be on the console even for the west.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
At first i got super excited, then i found out it's a remake of the worst entry.
It wasnt. This is clearly better than Step & Roll or Monkey Ball 3D.

I'm happy for this, but I'd rather had Monkey Ball Deluxe. Well, maybe in the future..

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Terrible choice.

The only truly legendary Monkey Ball was the 1st, which had the perfect level design. MB2 was good but a bit ridiculous and gimmicky. Banana Blitz was just a waste of time.

(I also like the GBA entry, because I'm a big fan of unusual handheld ports, and it works surprisingly well.)

mcjmetroid

Terrible choice.

The only truly legendary Monkey Ball was the 1st, which had the perfect level design. MB2 was good but a bit ridiculous and gimmicky. Banana Blitz was just a waste of time.

(I also like the GBA entry, because I'm a big fan of unusual handheld ports, and it works surprisingly well.)
I would say the multiplayer in 2 was a good bit better. Sure some of the newer mini games were not winners but most of them were a bit of fun.

Ya the 1 player mode suffered a little. They went a bit crazy with the fast forward button levels etc.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I would say the multiplayer in 2 was a good bit better. Sure some of the newer mini games were not winners but most of them were a bit of fun.

Well, the minigames were better, yes.

But my favorite mode for competition back then was the main game, going up against a friend of mine on some of the hardest courses of pure skill, usually in the split-screen mode. And that was pretty much completely ruined in the sequel--the levels are so based in extreme or gimmicky ideas that just challenging someone to a true skills race was meaningless.

Well this is crushingly disappointing. Why does SEGA treat this series which such disregard ? They could have a huge hit on their hands if they took it seriously. Please Nintendo, Buy this property and let the abuse stop.

Meesh

*throws hand in the air*

Welp that's it! Switch has all the games! All of 'em! Most of my favorites I mean, could use a little more padding in the online, a few more in the genres already represented like FPS and horror.

Kazza

Is there any other reason that some people disliked this one, apart from the motion controls? Since these are being removed, surely it might turn out good?

mcjmetroid

Is there any other reason that some people disliked this one, apart from the motion controls? Since these are being removed, surely it might turn out good?

The Mini games were mostly crap. Like I don't think the motion control was the full problem either unless they rework all of the games.

dan76

Having never played this version I just had a look at the mini games on YouTube... surely they will be replaced as most are built around motion controls. The dream is they will include the content from the first 2 games as well.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
At first i got super excited, then i found out it's a remake of the worst entry.
It is significantly better than Step & Roll!

The whole game was balanced around motion controls though and will be way too easy with analog controls, I really do not get why they remake this instead of making a new Monkey Ball :(.

Top Bottom