• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tectoy Showcase 2024: Zeenix (Brazilian PC handheld) announced + games and accessories

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M

Hi, you guys remember Zeebo? The Brazzilian Wii knockoff, that had that horrible resident evil 4 port, but also that amazing double dragon port? Well, the same company has now announced Zeenix, a portable PC handheld. It runs windows 11, has it's own hub, and it comes in two versions: lite and pro.

Specs:
Zeenix pro:
Amd Zen3+ Ryzen 7 6800u
Amd RDNA 2 Radeon 680m
16GB LPDDR5
512GB SSD NVMe
46.2Wh Battery
6" FullHD 60Hz screen
4K60FPS video output
Wi-fi6
Bluetooth 5.2

Zeenix lite:
Amd atlhon 3050e
Amd Radeon graphics(????)
18GB LPDDR5
256GB SSD NVMe
46.2Wh Battery
6" FullHD 60Hz screen
FullHD60FPS video output
Wi-fi5
Bluetooth 4.2

Complete showcase can be seen here(in PT-BR, but most games are in English)

They also announced accessories ( mouse, keyboard and a symmetrical controller) and few games, that are also coming to steam.

Like Dammed 2:

Edit: Just to clarify, those are white label Aya Loki zero and Aya neo air plus, but with Tectoy branding.

It will come with windows 11 and a month of game pass. To connect to tv, you will need a dongle they will sell.

They are aiming to release still in 2024. No prices announced yet.

Last edited:

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
I've been thinking of moving to Brazil. This clenches it.
370.gif

MrRibeye

To me it's pretty cool when countries create their own local video game stuff. I'd imagine a similar product will appear in Russia some time in the future, in case anyone remembers Putin announcing that a while back.

justiceiro

Just to clarify, those are white label Aya Loki zero and Aya neo air plus, but with Tectoy branding. And, with windows instead of Aya Linux. Importing is almost impossible in Brazil thanks to new government so hopefully the prices are lower here.

CamHostage

Fruitless addition, but for those curious if Damned 1 is a "real" game (I never heard of it, maybe others have?) or if Damned 2 is just weirdly named nonsense, it's a thing. It came out 10 years ago from 9Heads Games, and both the original and sequel are async 4-on-1 multiplayer games of humans vs monster. Trailer.

Not that Brazil doesn't have network connectivity, but it's a little funny offhand that the game company most famous for selling new Mega Drives until 2023 and even new Master System games in the 2000s is launching new hardware promoting online play. Before watching the trailer I kind of expected Damned 2 or Damned 1 to be some kind of lost-in-time PS1-quality thing, but they're normal games.

Last edited:

Futaleufu

Fruitless addition, but for those curious if Damned 1 is a "real" game (I never heard of it, maybe others have?) or if Damned 2 is just weirdly named nonsense, it's a thing. It came out 10 years ago from 9Heads Games, and both the original and sequel are async 4-on-1 multiplayer games of humans vs monster. Trailer.

Not that Brazil doesn't have network connectivity, but it's a little funny that the game company most famous for selling new Mega Drives until 2023 is launching new hardware designed for online play. Before watching the trailer I kind of expected Damned 2 or Damned 1 to be some kind of lost-in-time PS1-quality thing, but they're normal games.

This is not for americans, europeans or asians, its for brazilians so they dont have to pay the huge import taxes to own a game system.

Guilty_AI

Gold Member

Not that Brazil doesn't have network connectivity, but it's a little funny that the game company most famous for selling new Mega Drives until 2023 is launching new hardware designed for online play. Before watching the trailer I kind of expected Damned 2 or Damned 1 to be some kind of lost-in-time PS1-quality thing, but they're normal games.
A local-made PC handheld is actually a nice idea. Hardware here is mostly imported and must go through obnoxiously high taxes (a ps5 or XSX can cost as high as $800).

On a side-note, i know some brazilian games that look way better than this.

CamHostage

This is not for americans, europeans or asians, its for brazilians so they dont have to pay the huge import taxes to own a game system.
A local-made PC handheld is actually a nice idea. Hardware here is mostly imported and must go through obnoxiously high taxes...

Sure, makes sense. The economics of gaming in countries outside of the primary release territories of US/EU/JP gets really complicated and has created some opportunities for unique products outside of the mainstream.

...I didn't mean to imply a knock on Brazil, as if it's a county behind the times.

I'm specifically talking about TecToy. They've been such a curiosity in the game market. The only thing we ever knew about this company was that they were still making new Master System games well into the PS1 era (not just Mega Drive, we're talking 8-bit games) such as Battletoads in Battlemaniacs, and Street Fighter 2, plus a weird Mega Drive "port" of Duke Nukem 3D. Outside of Brazil, TecToy was only famous for keeping ancient SEGA platforms alive into the 3D gaming era.

Their legacy extended a bit even further than that, as TecToy released "new Mega Drive" games in 2009 with the release of the Mega Drive 4 Guitar Idol version of the console. That package included a new version of Guitar Idol (a knockoff of Guitar Hero) and also 2D games of Need for Speed ProStreet, FIFA, SimCity, and The Sims. *There's a caveat on this one though, as the hardware was one of those retro consoles (with an ARM processor running a Mega Drive emulator rather than actual hardware on a 68000,) and all the new games were mobile ports. (I'm pretty sure they weren't even ports. Given that I don't see the ROMs in the usual places, I'm going to guess these were just the mobile games running natively on the pi hardware, outside of the MD emulator.) It was just very confusing to the rest of the world that the same year of Batman Arkham Asylum and Bayonetta, Brazil was getting this...

Last edited:
A local-made PC handheld is actually a nice idea. Hardware here is mostly imported and must go through obnoxiously high taxes (a ps5 or XSX can cost as high as $800).

This is just a resking of an existing product. They are probably just importing and painting the case.

Ozriel

M$FT

Isn’t the company going to pay the import dues for bringing in the Aya handhelds they’re rebadging?

justiceiro

Isn’t the company going to pay the import dues for bringing in the Aya handhelds they’re rebadging?
If 30% of the manufacturing process happens in Brazil, the taxes are way lower. Also, this company has a factory in Manaus, a Amazon city that has some government incentives for local industry.

I didn't mention before, but they also announced that they are investing on e-sport in that city by sponsoring a team. They said that they are patterning with universities around the country to help new game developers publish their games too.

Sorcerer

Off topic, probably not worthy of it's own topic. Brazillan company Gamescare is making a FPGA Sega Neptune. I would die to have this except it should work out to $2000 US Dollars when all is said and done. Their previous Neo Geo System went for that much, I belive:

Last edited:

Generic

Bet it will cost 5x the minimum wage, as the usual.

If 30% of the manufacturing process happens in Brazil, the taxes are way lower. Also, this company has a factory in Manaus, a Amazon city that has some government incentives for local industry.
Usually things manufactured in Brazil still use imported material.

Guilty_AI

Gold Member
I'm specifically talking about TecToy. They've been such a curiosity in the game market. The only thing we ever knew about this company was that they were still making new Master System games well into the PS1 era (not just Mega Drive, we're talking 8-bit games) such as Battletoads in Battlemaniacs, and Street Fighter 2, plus a weird Mega Drive "port" of Duke Nukem 3D. Outside of Brazil, TecToy was only famous for keeping ancient SEGA platforms alive into the 3D gaming era.

Their legacy extended a bit even further than that, as TecToy released "new Mega Drive" games in 2009 with the release of the Mega Drive 4 Guitar Idol version of the console. That package included a new version of Guitar Idol (a knockoff of Guitar Hero) and also 2D games of Need for Speed ProStreet, FIFA, SimCity, and The Sims. *There's a caveat on this one though, as the hardware was one of those retro consoles (with an ARM processor running a Mega Drive emulator rather than actual hardware on a 68000,) and all the new games were mobile ports. (I'm pretty sure they weren't even ports. Given that I don't see the ROMs in the usual places, I'm going to guess these were just the mobile games running natively on the pi hardware, outside of the MD emulator.) It was just very confusing to the rest of the world that the same year of Batman Arkham Asylum and Bayonetta, Brazil was getting this...

A lot of the stuff they did start making sense when you see it through the brazilian's market perspective. The reason they supported master system games so far in time was because these older systems were extremely popular here at the time - precisely because they were much more affordable locally compared to newer consoles and games. It wasn't uncommon halfway through the ps2 era to find households with a SNES or a PS1.

I don't remember the exact numbers, but there was a data somewhere that stated 8-16 bit systems (or modern iterations of them) were the most sold consoles on Brazil well into the 2000s, and i think even now. The most popular console here among the current gen ones was the Series S, despite all the flak people gave to it.

Interestingly enough, i've begun seeing this "one-gen-behind" mentality in other parts of the world. Probably because newer gen and games that take advantage of this newer gen don't have much to offer.

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Honestly I'm surprised TecToy is still up and running. They survived A LOT of shit. They survived Sega going third party, and they're still in the hardware business.

They deserve a lot of kudos. I applaud you TecToy. You guys are the real thing..

Last edited:
Top Bottom