• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Texas Senate OKs bill setting new rules when clerks refuse to issue same-sex marriage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ekdrm2d1

By Mike Ward | Tuesday, April 11, 2017 | chron.com

AUSTIN -- Legislation that would allow county clerks in Texas to decline to issue same-sex marriage licenses if it conflicts with their religious beliefs was tentatively approved Tuesday by the Texas Senate.

State Sen. Brian Birdwell, a Granbury Republican who authored the measure, said the Senate Bill 522 would allow clerks to recuse themselves from issuing a same-sex license and would instead assign their duties to other clerks, a judge or even a special clerk.

The vote was 21-10, mostly along party lines. A final vote is expected within a few days.

"This provides a way for clerks to exercise their profoundly held religious beliefs under the First Amendment, and at the same time protect the rights of couples who are coming in for a marriage license," Birdwell said. "Right now, there is not an alternate mechanism for a clerk who is not willing to issue a license because of their sincerely held beliefs."

Several Democrats questioned whether the law was necessary -- or could perhaps trigger new discrimination. They questioned whether the change could make it more difficult for same-sex couples to get licenses in some counties.

"I'm afraid we're opening up a box of unintended consequences," said Sen. Jose Menendez, D-San Antonio.

"If we don't do this we are discriminating against those people of faith," Birdwell replied. "This bill protects the constitutional issues for both sides."

Sen. Sylvia Garcia, D-Houston, questioned who the bill was supposed to protect.

http://www.chron.com/news/politics/...same-sex-marriage-license-change-11066029.php

Bill: http://www.legis.state.tx.us/BillLookup/History.aspx?LegSess=85R&Bill=SB522

mackattk

discriminating against people of faith...in a public government office.... fuck separation of church and state, right guys?

"Discriminated against people of faith"

Last I checked religious creed is covered under any and all legal protections acts.

It's almost like this has a, gasp, ulterior motive.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
You don't hire someone to do a job who can't do the job because of personal grievances. I don't know how someone can say "we are discriminating against those people of faith" by not allowing them to discriminate against gay people because of their own beliefs.

I hate this country.

On the one hand I think it's not horrible to recuse yourself and let someone else do it. The seems to be the most tolerant of the "against my beliefs" solutions. On the other hand if everyone in the courthouse is religious then the same sex couples are screwed.

And this is why they wanted Gorsuch. They so want to overturn gay marriage. You can just see it.
Not gonna happen. They'd need another conservative judge to be appointed.

Ekdrm2d1

I'm fuming. Fuck this
tumblr_n2tmw6WIUO1twu9tko1_500.gif

What is the definition of a "sincerely held belief"? Is it possible for that to extend to literally anything? If I start avoiding the number 3 because I feel it has magic power can I refuse to help the 3rd couple wanting a marriage certificate each day?

mackattk

You don't hire someone to do a job who can't do the job because of personal grievances. I don't know how someone can say "we are discriminating against those people of faith" by not allowing them to discriminate against gay people because of their own beliefs.

I hate this country.

There is a reason I am not a doctor, there is a reason I am not a NASCAR driver.. It is because I can't do the job. Likewise, if clerks can't do their job, then they need to resign and find something else that they can do.

On the one hand I think it's not horrible to recuse yourself and let someone else do it. The seems to be the most tolerant of the "against my beliefs" solutions. On the other hand if everyone in the courthouse is religious then the same sex couples are screwed.

Yeah, They can just hire clerks who have a fundamental disagreement with same-sex marriages and.. surprise surprise there is no one there to do it now.

tkscz

Why is it the states can ignore the constitution when they want to? No mixture of government and church means fuck your religion, this is a government job and you'll do your job. What they are doing is unconstitutional and they should get in trouble for it.

I eagerly await the shit show when the first Muslim clerk refuses to issue an alcohol license, or permit a pig farm.

Not that I think that a person of Islamic faith would do something so petty, but I would encourage someone to set the precedent and we can begin the long slog to SCOTUS.

Why is it the states can ignore the constitution when they want to? No mixture of government and church means fuck your religion, this is law. What they are doing is unconstitutional and they should get in trouble for it.
Someone has to sue. Courts don't just pre-emptively make rulings on newly minted state laws.

kmfdmpig

That's ridiculous. If someone is so narrow minded that their own religious views interfere with them doing their job then they should find a different job.

I eagerly await the shit show when the first Muslim clerk refuses to issue an alcohol license, or permit a pig farm.

Not that I think that a person of Islamic faith would do something so petty, but I would encourage someone to set the precedent and we can begin the long slog to SCOTUS.
I wouldn't be so sure. That makes me think of this:

http://abcnews.go.com/International/story?id=2827800&page=1
Muslim Cab Drivers Refuse to Transport Alcohol, and Dogs (Jan 2007)
"There are times where cab after cab will refuse service, and passengers can be waiting for 20 minutes," says Patrick Hogan, spokesman for the Metropolitan Airports Commission. "We've had complaints of people being asked if they had any alcoholic beverages in their luggage."​

I wouldn't be so sure. That makes me think of this:

http://abcnews.go.com/International/story?id=2827800&page=1
Muslim Cab Drivers Refuse to Transport Alcohol, and Dogs (Jan 2007)
"There are times where cab after cab will refuse service, and passengers can be waiting for 20 minutes," says Patrick Hogan, spokesman for the Metropolitan Airports Commission. "We've had complaints of people being asked if they had any alcoholic beverages in their luggage."​

Yeah exactly, let's not pretend like Christians have cornered the market on religious stupidity.

le.phat

Yeah exactly, let's not pretend like Christians have cornered the market on religious stupidity.

Difference being that the US is considered a first world society, allthough i have a feeling that this badge might need to be returned to the rest of the western world pretty soon.

tkscz

Texas conservatives hold controversial cake-cutting over gay marriage ban

http://www.chron.com/news/politics/...aders-celebrate-ten-years-without-6101014.php

constitutional amendment

this_is_bullshit_the_wire.gif

There is no constitutional amendment granted to a single state shit. PLUS that would directly be a contradiction of the first amendment, which prohibits laws being made to protect religious actions, including using religious beliefs in a government job to not serve someone. I swear if these fuckers use the first amendment to justify this...

Texas conservatives would copy Russian lgbt death camps if they thought they could get away with it.

They're gonna keep pushing all of this and if another Justice goes on the SCOTUS we're fucked for decades.

Derwind

Can I refuse to serve a County Clerk that cited religious grounds as a way to refuse service to same sex couples?

Or will I now be discriminated against?

Can you deny me my beliefs?

Seriously though, Texas can get fucked. If you cant tolerate discrimination than that must mean you discriminate against discrimination... sound fucking logic there.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
this_is_bullshit_the_wire.gif

There is no constitutional amendment granted to a single state shit. PLUS that would directly be a contradiction of the first amendment, which prohibits laws being made to protect religious actions, including using religious beliefs in a government job to not serve someone. I swear if these fuckers use the first amendment to justify this...

States have constitutions too, and those can be amended.

This is also from 2015 so everything about this is outdated. SCOTUS decision based on the US Constitution trumps anything at the state level.

Oh fuck off republican senate.

What if it's my religious beliefs that all conservatives should be launched to the moon? If my ridiculous beliefs aren't honored, am I being discriminated against?

Is there no such thing as separation of church and state? Was history rewritten? Why are these people tolerated?

One of these parties is so pre-Stone Age and it's so stupid, the way they function, it's absolutely baffling. BAFFLING.

Religion is old, tribal, mind numbingly inadequate to address actual intrinsic human morality. Religion is a memetic parasite that is more often than not, utterly contrary to the survival of individuals. It's contrary to the well being of all Americans and all people the world over, even those who think it's doing them good.

Young people, please stop putting people into office who care about no one but those in their own 'group'. Laws should serve every individual. To know that these conservatives feel victimized by someone else's declaration of REAL discrimination, is insane. They do the same thing with Black Lives Matter. They can't stand the idea that someone other than them is voicing a concern about actual prejudice, and they counter by calling THAT discrimination. Who listens to this and thinks "Yeah, that sounds about right"?

i dont get it.

"are you okay issuing certificates for same sex marriage"
"no"
"okay thats part of the job, so, bye"

should be THAT SIMPLE.

what job interview can i walk in and say "i refuse to do a part of this job cause my religion"

And in these southern towns, the atheists are often on the down-low. "Jerry, I thought you were a good Christian!" That could affect job performance evaluations, etc.

aeolist

Banned

Not gonna happen. They'd need another conservative judge to be appointed.

ginsburg will retire or die any day now, the next two will be kennedy and breyer. scotus is going to be heavily conservative for the next 20 or so years.

This is going to be overturned by a federal judge. They can celebrate and create as many anti gay marriage bills or laws as they want. they won't succeed.

MarionCB

This is simply pandering to bigotry.

It's simple: if you won't fulfill the duties of a County Clerk, you don't get to be one. If your deeply held bigotry is so important to you, then resign or don't seek this public office in the first place.

There's no way this is constitutional either, and I stand by that even if the SC somehow upholds it.

Ekdrm2d1

Oh fuck off republican senate.

What if it's my religious beliefs that all conservatives should be launched to the moon? If my ridiculous beliefs aren't honored, am I being discriminated against?

Is there no such thing as separation of church and state? Was history rewritten? Why are these people tolerated?

One of these parties is so pre-Stone Age and it's so stupid, the way they function, it's absolutely baffling. BAFFLING.

Religion is old, tribal, mind numbingly inadequate to address actual intrinsic human morality. Religion is a memetic parasite that is more often than not, utterly contrary to the survival of individuals. It's contrary to the well being of all Americans and all people the world over, even those who think it's doing them good.

Young people, please stop putting people into office who care about no one but those in their own 'group'. Laws should serve every individual. To know that these conservatives feel victimized by someone else's declaration of REAL discrimination, is insane. They do the same thing with Black Lives Matter. They can't stand the idea that someone other than them is voicing a concern about actual prejudice, and they counter by calling THAT discrimination. Who listens to this and thinks "Yeah, that sounds about right"?

Said a variant of this 3 hours ago.
Because Christianity is the "religion of the United States".

mackattk

i dont get it.

"are you okay issuing certificates for same sex marriage"
"no"
"okay thats part of the job, so, bye"

should be THAT SIMPLE.

what job interview can i walk in and say "i refuse to do a part of this job cause my religion"

I want to work at Google make $200k/yr and be a computer programmer. It is against my religion to use a computer.. I don't get the job?!? WHY AM I BEING DISCRIMINATED AGAINST??

so1337

"If we don't do this we are discriminating against those people of faith," Birdwell replied. "This bill protects the constitutional issues for both sides."
Actually, you are protecting the people who are discriminating in the first place.

Meanwhile in Sweden, a nurse who refused to work with abortions because of her religious beliefs and thus wasn't given the job, has been turned down in the highest court, as they have decided that the hospitals did NOT discriminate against her.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
I want to work at Google make $200k/yr and be a computer programmer. It is against my religion to use a computer.. I don't get the job?!? WHY AM I BEING DISCRIMINATED AGAINST??

Can't wait for Jehovahs Witnesses to become surgeons and refuse to give transfusions to car crash victims.

Socivol

What brand of Christianity do these "conservative' Christians ascribe to? The Christianity that I know is a lot more inclusive of others with differing beliefs and how you should help everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom