• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Great Barrier Reef is 'almost dead' due to Rising Water Temp, say scientists

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
A scientist who recently visited the Great Barrier Reef has said "if it was a person, it would be on life support", as researchers strive to highlight the plight of the reef.

New images have shown the worrying extent of the damage done to the reef by climate change.

Rising water temperatures have damaged the world’s largest reef system, which stretches for over 1,400 miles off the coast of Australia.

In May, researchers found that more than a third of the coral in northern and central parts of the reefs was dead, and 93 per cent of individual reefs had been affected by a condition known as coral bleaching.

This usually leads the corals to die as it ends their symbiotic relationship with algae-like single cell protozoa, which are expelled when corals are exposed to water which is too warm.

Scientists have found that the situation has worsened.

Amanda McKenzie, CEO of the Australian Climate Council, told ABC: "After the bleaching event in May, 60 per cent of what we saw was bleached very white.

"Another 19-20 per cent was covered in sludgy brown algae. Even of what remained healthy, some looked a bit on edge.

"When we went back a few weeks ago to see if they had recovered or died, quite a large proportion had died."
Full article: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/10/14/great-barrier-reef-pronounced-almost-dead-by-scientists/

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
This planet is super fucked. I'm hoping I'm dead before things get too shitty, but I'm not holding out much hope.

I was really looking forward to having kids someday too.

Edit: Also pretty bummed I never got to see The Great Barrier Reef in person.

I was extremely disappointed to see the condition of the reef around Hamilton island when I was there last year. Everything has been bleached, it looks terrible.

How the hell can people still not believe in global warming? It's so bizarre...

Articles like this do not help.

People read it and go "oh crap", but then read the followup or clarification where it is revealed that it is a gross exaggeration or only applies to some areas or that other areas of the reef are growing (search for barrier reef dead to find lots of conflicting information).

Getting the message out effectively is a big challenge.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
This organism has been alive for 25 million years and we are going to kill it because we refuse to accept the damage we are doing to our home.

How sad.

20090830.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom