• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Polar Vortex Strikes Back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Konka

Banned
Consider the weather this week a mere pause in a tough winter that will resume next week with cold air and the potential for snowstorms.
Signs are pointing toward another southward dip from the polar vortex. The polar vortex is essentially a mass of very cold air that usually hangs out above the Arctic Circle and is contained by strong winds.

650x366_02192046_hd33.jpg

According to Long Range Expert Mark Paquette, "We noticed a minor Sudden Stratospheric Warming event taking place back on Feb. 6-7, 2014."
When sudden warming takes place high in the atmosphere, it initiates a chain of events that tends to displace the polar vortex between 14 and 30 days later.
"In addition to the exact timing of the cold outbreak is you never know for sure initially which continent the cold air will be directed," Paquette said, "This time it appears it will take aim at the eastern part of North America."

650x366_02191623_hd23.jpg

And then more snow!

650x366_02191625_hd30.jpg

More at the link.
http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/frigid-air-to-clutch-midwest-east/23498242

I wish this winter would end :(

Mr.Mike

So is this polar vortex thing just something we'll have to deal with every winter now? Or has this year just been extraordinary?

Konka

Banned
We didn't even have snow last year in NYC. This year has definitely been worse.

Well yeah, but it's not like you have to go back far for these temps...Winter of 2008/2009 had temps that cold and 2010 had more snow. We're just used to recently warm winters.

Steelrain

Well this would straight up fuck me over. I'm supposed to fly out to Japan from NC and then from Japan to Dulles to Frankfurt. This would fuck me over badly.

Fuck you baby Jesus.

It's around every winter, they just hyped it up this winter for some reason.

From what I understand, it is always around up in the Arctic, but because of the weakening of the jet stream (due to global warming if you believe some accounts), it now has the ability to push further south.

This next round is coming at a perfect time, and by perfect I mean not so much. I'm moving out of Austin at the end of next week to Nashville. Looks like it'll be chilly for my arrival.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom